n00b.

Just wanted to see if there was a "correct" way to alternate pick. By this I mean, is it better to move your hand up and down from the wrist, like an old man with parkinsons disease? I seem to have a propensity for flicking my wrist, so the plectrum moves in a small arc, getting slightly higher from the body of the guitar, whereas the other technique would remain roughly the same height.

Or is it just a personal preference thing? I think Id rather play with the former technique, rather than the latter as it seems more sensible, but the latter seems to occur naturally. Not sure if the flicking the wrist thing could lead to pain

Thanks in advance, thats if you can understand what Im getting at.
Quote by Gabbastard
is it better to move your hand up and down from the wrist, like an old man with parkinsons disease?

Preferably with more control than that.
Quote by blue_strat
Preferably with more control than that.

Well, i shut my mouth and dont fall over, but you get what I mean.
i think the generally accepted way is to use the wrist with as little thumb or arm movement as possible. Using the arm can lead to a lot of strains and can cause a lot more inaccuracy (if you imagine trying to play fast with your wrist still, your arm has to move quite a lot compared to what your wrist would)