Page 1 of 2
Don't take valves out when they're hot.

Use a cloth and gently wiggle them out.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'm talking about putting a tube in.

And I'm pretty sure you have to use gloves. Your hands have moisture on that the tubes don't like, or something along those lines.
Quote by The red Strat.
just use your bare hands. they're made out of glass, not chocolate

and obviously wait till they're cool.

Yeah but if you want to re-use the valves I wouldn't be handling them with bare hands.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The hell do you want gloves for.

If it's too hot too touch, you can afford to wait a few minutes.

And the rumour about skin oils and moisture is also completely unsubstantiated BS also.

Bare skin. That's the way all the tube companies do it and it's never failed nobody yet.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot

And the rumour about skin oils is also completely unsubstantiated BS also.

Bare skin.

+1
I just put a new tube in yesterday..bare hands. No magical explosions, no faulty tubes, just some sweet tube tone.
Washburn WI-64
Jackson DK2
Randall RM100C
Digitech RP200A
Digitech DF-7
Digitech Phase Shifter
Boss OS-2
Boss Bf-2
You aren't going to break it. They are tougher than light bulbs, and you would have to be an idiot to break a light bulb in your bare hands.
Yeah...

I handle tubes with my bare hands all the time. Retubings, whatever. Nothing's broke yet.

They're all absolutely fine. Some wise alec came up with the rumour that tubes die when exposed to oils and whatever an age ago and the rumour stuck, but that's just crap. They're fine. No evidence to prove it does any damage at all. Just like the rumour that the Standby switch preserves tubes. Not true.
haha handling tubes with a glove....im sure everyone not using a glove has had no problems!
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah...

I handle tubes with my bare hands all the time. Retubings, whatever. Nothing's broke yet.

They're all absolutely fine. Some wise alec came up with the rumour that tubes die when exposed to oils and whatever an age ago and the rumour stuck, but that's just crap. They're fine. No evidence to prove it does any damage at all. Just like the rumour that the Standby switch preserves tubes. Not true.

Ok, thanks for the advice everybody.

Quote by JoshCrawford
Why would anyone want to cover bareskin with latex? jeez its unheard of.
It's called a glove....

Quote by JoshCrawford
Why would anyone want to cover bareskin with latex? jeez its unheard of.

you don't use condoms ?

Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah...

i agree with everything, exept for the bolded part. it does, that's just pure logic
Quote by The red Strat.
you don't use condoms ?

i agree with everything, exept for the bolded part. it does, that's just pure logic
As soon as I get back from eating my dinner, I'll tell you why.

If you're not being sarcastic. if you are, tell me now
With the exception of serving as a sealed housing, the glass doesn't do anything AT ALL. Old Production 6L6's actually used metal housings instead of glass. The only time you'll ever need gloves is if they're hot and you absolutely need to get new ones in as fast as possible, then oven mitts work wonders.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by MrCarrot

If you're not being sarcastic. if you are, tell me now

It allows tubes to warm up before they are hit with high voltage. I'd say it makes sense.
Quote by Kendall
With the exception of serving as a sealed housing, the glass doesn't do anything AT ALL. Old Production 6L6's actually used metal housings instead of glass. The only time you'll ever need gloves is if they're hot and you absolutely need to get new ones in as fast as possible, then oven mitts work wonders.

Okay. I'm just starting to learn about the workings of amps, etc. and I was told that I should wear gloves whilst handling them. Obviously not.
Quote by MrCarrot

Sounds interesting..

I'll be waiting.
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
Okay. I'm just starting to learn about the workings of amps, etc. and I was told that I should wear gloves whilst handling them. Obviously not.

While they're hot, yeah. But you should avoid handling them then anyway.
I found a MASSIVELY complex analysis of it a while ago, I forget the site precisely, although I have a feeling it was on the Valvejunior.com forum...

Idea is though, that a standby control does not affect the life of a tube...
Quote by MrCarrot
I found a MASSIVELY complex analysis of it a while ago, I forget the site precisely, although I have a feeling it was on the Valvejunior.com forum...

If that were true, why have amp manufacturers been putting them on their amps ever since they started using SS rectifiers?
My best explanation is that it's a good tool for between sets when you don't wanna turn your amp off.

If you really wanna find out and settle it, go search for it on Internetz, I don't remember it precisely anyways..
You sure it didn't talk about standby switch usage when turning the amp off?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I used a glove just to be sure when we did the retuing. From what I read why you shouldn't use your bare hands was more with the fact that if you were to break a tube, it wouldn't be good to get iwhat's inside direct on your skin.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
I used a glove just to be sure when we did the retuing. From what I read why you shouldn't use your bare hands was more with the fact that if you were to break a tube, it wouldn't be good to get iwhat's inside direct on your skin.

i don't think there's much inside a vacuum tube...
haha, this thread is humorous.

what you really need to do is wait for the tube to cool off then put a condom over it. This way you never have to change gloves while handling each individual tube so as to not cross contaminate.

I wrote a long drawn-out explanation about this a while back.
Last edited by Gutch220 at Mar 4, 2008,
Quote by MrCarrot

And the rumour about skin oils and moisture is also completely unsubstantiated BS also.

Bare skin. That's the way all the tube companies do it and it's never failed nobody yet.

yeah, for real. if anything, the powertubes would need extra care since they seem to be the real hot ones. but i mean, as long as your not putting acid on it or something... should be fine.

but i dunno about the standby thing, my amp doesn't function right if i don't leave it on standby for long enough.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I hardly ever you use my standby. Hell, i don't even turn my amp off with the off switch, I just turn off the powerstrip it's plugged into.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
aren't you the one who's amp broke or something?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by MrCarrot

The user manual for my amp tells me to leave standby on for a min before turning off. I once turned it directly off, it made a weird sound.
i think this only applies to traffic light bulbs which are considerably hotter than valves, so natural skin grease can cause hotspots and stuff, which is bad. i think tubes are allright though
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Toolshed#9
The user manual for my amp tells me to leave standby on for a min before turning off. I once turned it directly off, it made a weird sound.

My amp does the same thing, it's normal. You don't need to leave the amp on standby before you turn it off, everyone is agreed on that.
Quote by Kevin Saale
My amp does the same thing, it's normal. You don't need to leave the amp on standby before you turn it off, everyone is agreed on that.

The point is, it doesn't make a weird noise when I leave it on standby.

And why the hell is it written in the user manual made by the people who made the amp that you should leave it on standby for a min before turning off?
Weird noise or not it isn't going to hurt your amp. The people who put that into the manual are probably just morons.
Quote by The red Strat.
i don't think there's much inside a vacuum tube...

Literally, there's nothing, since it would be vacuum...

Nick (godofshred) recommended me to do it, so I did use gloves. But it was also since I didn't want to leave prints and stuff on the tubes, doesn't look good.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Page 1 of 2