Page 1 of 3
Title explains all how much does it cost to go too Uni in Britain?

Not taking into account living expenses, travel cost so on and so forth.
Well this may not answer your question, but the college I go to in America costs about £20,000 a year without living expenses. I assume Britain has just as if not more pricey institutions.

edit: that is for private colleges, mind you.
you pay zulch in scotland (i dont know if this only applies to scots, uk residents or all), but then theres residence fees etc.

EDIT: or at least thats how i think it works
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Well this may not answer your question, but the college I go to in America costs about £20,000 a year without living expenses. I assume Britain has just as if not more pricey institutions.

Holy ****ing ****.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

3000 tuition...and a **** load more on the living and rent stuff
Quote by ukuleleftw
When is beating your cat not justified?

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
This is almost as stupid as when someone thought there might be a UG warehouse where all the tabs are stored.

July 8th, 2007 @ Wembley - Best day ever
Quote by ItWillDo
Holy ****ing ****.

Was I wrong? I thought universities in Europe were expensive as sh*t, as well?
If you are a resident in Scotland or Wales going to a uni in one of those, then Uni fees are paid by the governments and the collected taxes, not sure about NI. But in England if you want to go to a Uni you're looking at about £3000 per year, not including living, books, travel etc. God bless devolution!
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
Quote by ibanezn00b
£20,000...lol wut? sureley.....

I'm assuming that comes to about $40,000 USD right? Then yea that's about how much a year.

Although I have half taken care of with loans and grants.
Quote by SeveralSpecies

Well yeah but Jesus christ 20,000£ a year? That's like 39,706.20 USD.

Some people don't even make that much money in a year.

My Youtube Page

Quote by SeveralSpecies

They're expensive to foreigners (an American would pay about the same to go to a UK institution as an American one) but to UK nationals it's much much less.

And to the Scots it's free because our government decided higher education should be for the intelligent, not the rich.
Quote by ItWillDo
Well yeah but Jesus christ 20,000£ a year? That's like 39,706.20 USD.

Some people don't even make that much money in a year.

Well like I said, they gave me a boatload in grants and scholarships. So it comes around to $20,000 a year.
Don't know about you guys but I wasn't paying £3000 a year tuition, and neither was my girlfriend who was at Oxford. It was about £1200 a year, £400 a term. It also doesn't depend on the institution, as she was paying the same.

however if the TS is not English then he'll be paying in the region of £20,000.

EDIT - I've just remembered that I went to university the year before top up fees were introduced so it's probably £3000 now yeah.

Quote by freedoms_stain
They're expensive to foreigners (an American would pay about the same to go to a UK institution as an American one) but to UK nationals it's much much less.

And to the Scots it's free because our government decided higher education should be for the intelligent, not the rich.

Excuse me???

First of all, OUR government is the one paying for your ridiculous free university grants and you accept just the same amount of underqualified people that England does except you probably get more of them because it's FREE. I don't disagree that too many people are going to university who shouldn't be there because they aren't smart enough but making university free doesn't exclude ANYBODY. You can still get into Scottish universities with C and D grades at A level, just like English universities.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by freedoms_stain

Grants are easy to get everywhere in the UK though...
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Well like I said, they gave me a boatload in grants and scholarships. So it comes around to $20,000 a year.

Never expected it to be that expensive though.

I've heard of people here spending about € 4000-5000 a year on their Uni studies, but i'd never expect someone to spend 20,000£.

So, what are you exactly studying?

My Youtube Page

Aye come to Scotland to go to Uni, it's free

Edit: Forgot you have to be Scottish, haha.
RULE BRITANNIA
Last edited by cobain_is_king at Mar 4, 2008,
Quote by twowheels
you pay zulch in scotland (i dont know if this only applies to scots, uk residents or all), but then theres residence fees etc.

EDIT: or at least thats how i think it works

you don't pay for the tuition fees if your registered adress is in scotland on the first day of term. You don't actually have to be scottish or if you are scottish but live in england you don't get the benifit if you go to scotland to study.
About £3070, but due to rise because of inflation.

Also, if you study in Scotland and are from England, it's about half price (free for those damn Scots and Welsh...)
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
In England it's just over £3,000 a year, and it goes up with inflation.
Scotland is free for Scottish residents and I think that if you're English and go to a Scottish university, the tuition fees are about £1,700.
Quote by webbtje
Grants are easy to get everywhere in the UK though...

What? Since when? I don't know a single person who ever got a grant. Grants here are for masters degrees and if you get one for a regular degree you're either from a low income household or over 25.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Aye come to Scotland to go to Uni, it's free

Only for Scottish people, not for anyone else.

Why so much misinformation here?
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by ItWillDo
Never expected it to be that expensive though.

I've heard of people here spending about € 4000-5000 a year on their Uni studies, but i'd never expect someone to spend 20,000£.

So, what are you exactly studying?

It's a Liberal arts college, so we do a bit of everything, except for our major and minor. It's my first year so I haven't picked a major/minor yet, but it's probably going to be a history major with a minor in economics, followed by law school afterwards.

University is free in Ireland, thankfully.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Rankles

You can still get into Scottish universities with C and D grades at A level, just like English universities.

Most of the Unis I've looked at all want As and Bs in higher.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Quote by Rankles
What? Since when? I don't know a single person who ever got a grant. Grants here are for masters degrees and if you get one for a regular degree you're either from a low income household or over 25.

There are now decent grants for most income brackets under £40,000-£50,000. Add that to university bursaries and excellence grants and you can get about 2,000 a year. I heard today that about 70% of grants go unclaimed because people don't know they're available though.
Quote by Rankles
Excuse me???

First of all, OUR government is the one paying for your ridiculous free university grants and you accept just the same amount of underqualified people that England does except you probably get more of them because it's FREE. I don't disagree that too many people are going to university who shouldn't be there because they aren't smart enough but making university free doesn't exclude ANYBODY. You can still get into Scottish universities with C and D grades at A level, just like English universities.

People who can't make it get weeded out in 1st yr. Just like any other system.

But at least those without the means can have an opportunity they wouldn't have had otherwise.

I wasn't talking about underqualified people, I was talking about people who are qualified but can't afford to go because of lack of money. This system eradicates that.

Yes there are scholarships and grants, but enough for every person who needs them?

The Scottish system makes everyone equal. And I like that.
Quote by freedoms_stain

But at least those without the means can have an opportunity they wouldn't have had otherwise.

I wasn't talking about underqualified people, I was talking about people who are qualified but can't afford to go because of lack of money. This system eradicates that.

Yes there are scholarships and grants, but enough for every person who needs them?

Commie!
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
Most of the Unis I've looked at all want As and Bs in higher.

Yes, that's like saying Oxford and Cambridge require As.

Fact is, there are universities in both countries, many of them, that will accept C's and D's. Scotland is certainly not asking for more intelligent people and I resent the implication that the Scottish are getting anything but a meal ticket when it comes to university. A university institution where my tax money goes to paying for Scottish kids to go to university for free whilst I'm stuck with a four grand debt.

Quote by freedoms_stain

Mate for someone who's obviously of university ageyou seem to know jack **** about our system.

If you come from a low income family or even a moderate income single parent household all tuition fees are paid for by the government, no questions asked.

So no, our system does not eradicate those who cannot afford it. If anything, it encourages them because I have a friend who just because of her single parent family went to university for free (although she had good grades) despite her parent earning the same as mine combined.

I'm disgusted that you are praising your system for being great when it isn't economically sound - it would be great if everything we wanted was free and paid for by the government but where would the money come from? in this case, British tax money. It's economically inept and ridiculous that it's allowed to continue.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles
Yes, that's like saying Oxford and Cambridge require As.

Fact is, there are universities in both countries, many of them, that will accept C's and D's. Scotland is certainly not asking for more intelligent people and I resent the implication that the Scottish are getting anything but a meal ticket when it comes to university. A university institution where my tax money goes to paying for Scottish kids to go to university for free whilst I'm stuck with a four grand debt.

And that's why its in Scotland's best interest to stay in the UK. Really though, I do agree that it is dreadfully unfair.

EDIT: I'll probably have to pay for uni since both my parents are together and my Dad's a policeman.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Last edited by Mr_Jubby_Jubs at Mar 4, 2008,
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
And that's why its in Scotland's best interest to stay in the UK. Really though, I do agree that it is dreadfully unfair.

Definitely, which is why I find the Scottish independance parties laughable.

I have no problem with Scotland, I love Scotland. But it's run by the British government and it's got to a point where it cannot function without it.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles
Mate for someone who's obviously of university ageyou seem to know jack **** about our system.

If you come from a low income family or even a moderate income single parent household all tuition fees are paid for by the government, no questions asked.

So no, our system does not eradicate those who cannot afford it. If anything, it encourages them because I have a friend who just because of her single parent family went to university for free (although she had good grades) despite her parent earning the same as mine combined.

I'm disgusted that you are praising your system for being great when it isn't economically sound - it would be great if everything we wanted was free and paid for by the government but where would the money come from? in this case, British tax money. It's economically inept and ridiculous that it's allowed to continue.

There are plenty who don't qualify as "low income" who would still struggle to pay their way through university.

You can't say removing that pressure isn't a good thing.
My sister goes to Aberdeen Uni after living in England. I don't think she has any reductions at all. Welsh and Scots + EU do I believe. Just not the English for some reason.
It would be much better if the government stopped their ridiculous policy of getting 50% of students into university, made A levels a valuable qualification and then made university attendance free. They'll have to pay for less students and the students who do go through will earn significantly more, meaning the government makes money from taxes.

Much better than everyone being sadded with ridiculous amounts of debt and not having a great income to show for it.
Quote by SmarterChild
It would be much better if the government stopped their ridiculous policy of getting 50% of students into university, made A levels a valuable qualification and then made university attendance free. They'll have to pay for less students and the students who do go through will earn significantly more, meaning the government makes money from taxes.

Much better than everyone being sadded with ridiculous amounts of debt and not having a great income to show for it.

Not to mention the fact that with increased numbers of students you get increased numbers of low quality degrees.
Quote by freedoms_stain
There are plenty who don't qualify as "low income" who would still struggle to pay their way through university.

You can't say removing that pressure isn't a good thing.

The low income threshold is low enough that there are most certainly not that many people who are in the bizarre situation that they don't qualify and also can't afford it. Even if that did occur, we have grants and loans to more than cover the cost. Once again, very easy to obtain and if they're as smart as you say they are they'll have no problem getting grants and no problem paying the loans back with their job after they graduate.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Page 1 of 3