The Premise is that Disney takes ancient fairytales and dumbs them down, reduces everything to one-dimensional, celebrating simple innocence, sentimentality, idealization of true love and totally unreflective thinking.

this is true to a degree, Disney DOES radically change old folk tales. but in anycase, im arguing AGAINST the premise, because even if its true, its not necessarily a bad thing because who here would actually know about Aladdin if it werent for Disney eh?

so.. how do you think i should approach this argument in essay form ? im always bad at beginning essays. SO i wanted to see what you guys think
Last edited by Rising at Mar 4, 2008,
Do you go to a really intelligent kindergarten?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Do you go to a really intelligent kindergarten?

college... English:Literature Genres ''The Fairy tale Tradition''
Quote by Rising

Ahh! Just wierd that we have to do Othello and Pygmalion while you do Aladdin

Jaffar>All other Disney villians

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Ahh! Just wierd that we have to do Othello and Pygmalion while you do Aladdin

Jaffar>All other Disney villians

yeah yeah...

look up the original story of Aladdin written hundreds of years ago, it's far more intricate then what Disney has rendered it to, Disney cut alot of the story out.

Think of it as reading the Davinci Code and then.. seeing the movie.
You could start with, "Mr. Aladdin Sir, what will it be? May I take your order, jot it down, cuz you ain't never had a friend like me". You could then start writing about how that one tune is synonymous with the entire story, and if it wasn't for Disney, nobody would know the story!
I will agree that Disney does totally rip off old fairy tales and dums them down but they are for children you can't expect them to understand a complicated plot and im sure the originals didnt have songs either... and in reply to your cutting the plot out, its a kids movie you can't expect them to sit through a 4 hour movie they will lose interest, many books made to films leave loads out, look at LOTRs they left loads out and they are still 3hrs each section.

Better that than when i did english literature which was the most depressing subject i have ever done. I enjoy reading books and i enjoyed reading "Of Mice and Men" but its talking the piss when it goes to the level of detail and analysis that it goes to.

"Today class let us investigate and study the blade of grass that Lennie is currently standing on with his right foot in the green meadow and the effects that the author used to portray this as well as the effects that this has on the characters mood and emotion and the overall plot of the story"

Who honestly gives a ****?! Just read the book and enjoy it.
Quote by str84ever

"Today class let us investigate and study the blade of grass that Lennie is currently standing on with his right foot in the green meadow and the effects that the author used to portray this as well as the effects that this has on the characters mood and emotion and the overall plot of the story"

Who honestly gives a ****?! Just read the book and enjoy it.

Exactly! The author wrote what he wrote to be read on face value! GAAAH!

/rant
Quote by saphrax
You could start with, "Mr. Aladdin Sir, what will it be? May I take your order, jot it down, cuz you ain't never had a friend like me". You could then start writing about how that one tune is synonymous with the entire story, and if it wasn't for Disney, nobody would know the story!

well what would you say about the ''one-dimensional and non reflective viewing'' ?

how do you rebuttal such argumentative assaults towards something as black and white as disney?
really it's just the watering down part that you want to focus on, they do leave a lot of things out of that... really I have no idea where you're going with this, but I understand the concept, good luck man, I know you can do it.
Quote by Rising

I'm not saying that you should get a real degree, but...

you should get a real degree.
Terms and Conditions apply.
Quote by cagnius

im in the commerce program, however we are given options in the genre of literature we can cover
I hate it how Disney distorted Snow White. The original by the Brothers Grimm was so much better. It was twisted but beautiful.

You could always summarize the real Aladdin story just to see if people would recognize it. Then state how Disney protrayed it. I don't know..
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by Rising
im in the commerce program, however we are given options in the genre of literature we can cover

Touchy much?

I was kidding you on.
saw that it is relfective of human nature and economic predicaments that may force some in the lower class to resort to crime to survive. Also, say it reflects bias inherent in our society as, if I remember correctly, Alladin's and Jasmine's love was forbidden simply because he was not of the ruling class.
I think this seems like an essay that would be written in crayon.

Admit it, you took the course for an easy 'A', eh?
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Disney does not dumb fairy tales down that much... i actually wrote a paper about disney's versions of Cinderella, Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast... they do change them alot, but they dont necessarily dumb them down... fairy tales are simple in there original form too, they're supposed to be, they contain love and innocence... fairy tale characters are also traditionally already one-dimensional... i wouldnt just focus on aladdin for you're essay, but rather focus on 3 films of you're choosing, read the original fairy tale and then watch the movie, then go from there
Quote by str84ever
Better that than when i did english literature which was the most depressing subject i have ever done. I enjoy reading books and i enjoyed reading "Of Mice and Men" but its talking the piss when it goes to the level of detail and analysis that it goes to.

Too ****ing right! It's soul destroying on a monday morning.

Quote by cagnius

Well you are doin' law innit blud?

Dat is BARE dossa!

Quote by Jackolas
Too ****ing right! It's soul destroying on a monday morning.

Well you are doin' law innit blud?

Dat is BARE dossa!

That's how I roll...
Quote by The Leader
I think this seems like an essay that would be written in crayon.

Admit it, you took the course for an easy 'A', eh?

>_>

<_<

perhaps..
Quote by AcsticRckr89
Disney does not dumb fairy tales down that much... i actually wrote a paper about disney's versions of Cinderella, Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast... they do change them alot, but they dont necessarily dumb them down... fairy tales are simple in there original form too, they're supposed to be, they contain love and innocence... fairy tale characters are also traditionally already one-dimensional... i wouldnt just focus on aladdin for you're essay, but rather focus on 3 films of you're choosing, read the original fairy tale and then watch the movie, then go from there

We're only supposed to talk about one story so i chose my favorite.

can you give me an example as too how original characters are already one-dimensional? love and innocence?

doesn't Jack (Beanstalk) lie, cheat, steal and murder for his riches?
How about Gretel shoving a witch into a furnace ? Just example of child characters doing very... unlike-childly things if you get what I mean