Poll: Which amp would suit my needs?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp would suit my needs?
Vox AC15CC1X ( celestion speaker)
5 10%
Orange Rockerverb combo amp (used)
20 38%
Marshall Bluesbreaker (used)
12 23%
Marshall Vintage Modern combo
6 12%
Peavey Delta Blues combo
2 4%
Fender blues deville
3 6%
fender '65 reverb re-issue.
4 8%
Voters: 52.
Now, when it comes to guitar, I know what I want. I always know what guitar will and will not suit my needs. But when it comes to gear, I'm clueless. I can't decide on anything and here is proof of that:

I'm getting a tube amp, and I have a budget of around 1500 $. I was thinking of:

Vox AC15CC1X ( celestion model)
Orange Rockerverb combo amp (used)
Marshall bluesbreaker (used)
Marshall Vintage modern combo amp
Peavey Delta Blues amp
Vox Ac30
Fender Blues Deville
Fender 65 reverb.

Now I need one of them. I just don't know which one to get!
I play a lot of cream, hendrix, zeppelin, sabbath, santana, bluesbreakers, bb king, beatles,free, etc. Lot's of blues oriented stuff. I'd want to get a nice overdriven bright sound and then switch to a creamy fuzz tone like Clapton's or Paul Kosoff's.

Could anyone help me? Thanks in advance,
-Mike.
Last edited by Mike! at Mar 4, 2008,
How about a Vox AC30? It's a totally different amp compared to the AC15, which most people don't like so much (I mean, don't like the 15 too much. But play them both if you can and see which one you like (AC30 fits into your budget, right? Used?)
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I never knew there was a sound difference, but I did notice that the ac30 had more precise controls than the 15. I'll add the ac30 in the poll!

EDIT: Can I add something once the poll has started?
I went to the Experience Hendrix : Tribute to Jimi Hendrix concert and everyone that performed (about 10-12 famous/semi famous guitarists) were all using Fender amps. So if that helps you at all, your welcome

I use blues deluxe reissue and i like the tone but then again i have a couple different pedals and with different settings i can pretty much get any tone.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Thanks, I love the brilliance of Fender clean tones, but how would I get that sweet fuzz sound? I guess I'd need something like a Dallas Arbiter fuzz?
Quote by Mike!
Thanks, I love the brilliance of Fender clean tones, but how would I get that sweet fuzz sound? I guess I'd need something like a Dallas Arbiter fuzz?

I'm not an expert when it comes to fuzz pedals, but I remember from some threads that (at least according to some people) a lot of the reissue pedals sold nowadays are pretty bad. If you want to know a good pedal, maybe add something about it to the topic to get more hits.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
If you're prepared to get hearing damage by cranking, then Bluesbreaker ftw!!! Great chimey, almost Fender-y cleans, and when you turn it up (soundproof a garage with a couple dozen mattresses first ) its supposed to be creamy Clapton-y heaven From what I've heard it'll do overdrive (for your styles) a lot better than a Vox.

Good luck, try them all out, you might actually prefer another one!
Quote by Roc8995
^You've never played either of those amps, have you?

I've played a Vox AC30, thankyou very much really sweet amp mind

As for the Bluesbreaker, no I haven't played it, but I have played the JTM45 which is supposedly similar
Quote by Roc8995
^You've never played either of those amps, have you?

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by ECwomantoneman
I've played a Vox AC30, thankyou very much really sweet amp mind

As for the Bluesbreaker, no I haven't played it, but I have played the JTM45 which is supposedly similar

Yeah I've heard that the Bluesbreaker is a JTM45 but in combo. Atleast it says JTM on the panel so I think whoever said it was right.
You couldn't ask for better cleans but I can't judge the OD since I've only cranked it like... a few times lol.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Yeah...I cranked it to like 7 on the volume, the tone was just uuuunnngh*touches self at memory* - just to annoy the music shop owners serves them right, they were abslolute dicks, they obviously hadn't heard of "customer service!"

Titwanks...it was worth getting thrown out for though
What, you cranked a Bluesbreaker?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
What, you cranked a Bluesbreaker?

Nope, a JTM45 half stack. Don't let anyone tell you that 30watts is never enough

I could almost imagine my hair being blown about by it
I've heard Hendrix used a Deluxe Reverb in the studio, but I dunno. I think you should go with either the Bluesbreaker, '65 reverb, or the Vox. For the fuzz, Roger Mayer fuzz pedals?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by ECwomantoneman
Nope, a JTM45 half stack. Don't let anyone tell you that 30watts is never enough

I could almost imagine my hair being blown about by it

Yeah, the scary thing is that the amp is still super-clean at that volume too.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Well, I might look into getting a bluesbreaker, but I'd love to get more feedback on the Orange. I'm still considering the ac30 though, I just need to play it more.
Any more help is appreciated!
^I've heard nothing but great things about Orange, but i haven't tried one personally. Is it a vintage-voiced amp? If so, it may be worth a look.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Oranges are supposed to be what marshalls used to sound like it (before the DSL2000 and the VM series.) The Rocker 30 might actually have exactly what you are looking for, great cleans, and all the gain you will need for your classic rock awesomness
There is no way you will find a used Bluesbreaker for $1500, so you should just take it off of the list.

Definitely look at the Vox AC30, I am getting one myself.

But out of those options, I would choose the Marshall Vintage Modern, as most of the players you listen played Marshalls back in the day, and the Vintage Modern seems to be modeled after the vintage Marshall amps.
High as tits
The Rocker 30's a great amp that'll stretch your budget. For similar money, you could get the AC30 with the Celestion Blues, and that would pretty much pwn all, IMHO.

However, you might consider saving some amp money and getting yourself a beautiful made in Canada Traynor YCV 50 Blue. An amp that'll give you great cleans, and a great Marshall like crunch for a lot less. With your considerable savings, you could get a boutique fuzz/booster like an Analogman Sun Lion that would really deliver the wide selection of tones you're after.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^Did you read slats post? He made an awesome suggestion! The Traynor YVC50BLUE and plenty of money left to spend on a boutique fuzz/OD pedal.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
There is no way you will find a used Bluesbreaker for $1500, so you should just take it off of the list.

Suicidal_Brick speaks the truth here.
Not only are they expensive, they are pretty rare too so when there is someone selling it people will go crazy and pay good ammounts for it. I was pretty lucky and got it for about 1900 dollars (12000 Swedish crowns), I've seen another Bluesbreaker go for 14000 crowns.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
Suicidal_Brick speaks the truth here.
Not only are they expensive, they are pretty rare too so when there is someone selling it people will go crazy and pay good ammounts for it. I was pretty lucky and got it for about 1900 dollars (12000 Swedish crowns), I've seen another Bluesbreaker go for 14000 crowns.

Does it give you a nice 60's Page/Clapton sound, or is it different?
Quote by Mike!

I'd say it'd pretty much give you a perfect 60's EC sound, considering he used one back in the day. Maybe not have enough gain for Jimmy Page style though - I'd be inclined to recommend the Orange, they're great amps with a retro feel and you don't have to bust your ears to get nice overdrive either. My only experience with Oranges is the Tiny Terror so really, my point is pretty much worthless if the two are tonally dissimilar in every way, which I somehow doubt
Quote by Mike!

*shrugs*Haven't listened to him.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
What's this Fender '65 Reverb in the poll? Fender made many '...... Reverb' amps in '65 (Pro, Bandmaster, Vibrolux, Super, Twin, Princeton, Deluxe, etc). I'm assuming you mean a reissue, and it that case there's still the Super, the Deluxe and the Twin.
Quote by Hultan
*shrugs*Haven't listened to him.

how what. guiat... HOW IN GODS NAME CAN YOU CALL YOURSELF A GUITAR PLAYER IF YOU HAVE NOT LISTENED TO CLAPTON OR PAGE! whatever. I think you should go for an orange rocker 30, it gives you the kind of gain you want AND the kind of clean you want!
I heard the cleans suck on that amp. The clean channel has a volume knob and that's it. The cleans seem muddy when listened too, but I'll put it to the test if I have the chance to find one!