Hey, I've been playing guitar for 3 years now and have only just started to become interested in music theory ( I know.. )

But anyway, I started off with a very basic lesson from a website about the Major Scale and the Minor Scales (natural, harmonic and melodic).

But I'm pretty confused about it, firstly it told me the major scale sequence is:
Whole, Whole, Half, Whole, Whole, Whole, Half, Whole (steps)

But starting in G for example on my guitar, it sounds more like a minor scale if you go G-A-A# etc.

So basically I need an explenation on that, and basically a reliable source I can learn theory in detail from.

I'm basically starting from scratch, I had taken interest to learn different scales, and modes, and how chords worked, but on looking into it I can see there is a whole lot to learn.

So a kind of list, so to speak would be really helpful if anyone can provide too, just like a guide as to what to learn where.

Thanks very much UG.
It is:
WWHWWWH
whole whole half, whole whole whole half.
so in G maj

G, A, B, C, D, E, F# G.

Im not sure why you did a half step to get A# but that would make it minor yes.
I prefer intervals personally.

The guide on UG is very good, hard to understand at first but once you get a grasp its good.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
G-A-Bb is not whole, whole, half, that's why it sounds wrong.

G major is

G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-(G)
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
u've got whole then half step
which is minor

major is whole whole half whole whole whole half
so in C - C D E F G A B C

dunno where to learn theory reli, theres sum pretty good stuff on this site in the lessons

i learnt all mine from my guitar teacher

just say if u need more help
Several things.

A Major scale is W W H W W W H. A jump between a C and a D is a whole step. Between a C and a Db is a half. A "whole" step involved two notes in the scale, C to D. You're confusing it as a "whole" involving one note.

If you play G - A - A#, you're playing a W H sequence. The difference is, in music, we notate the A# as a Bb.

The correct G minor scale is G A Bb C D Eb F G. To get any minor scale from any major scale, take the corresponding Major scale and flat the 3rd, the 6th, and the 7th. The easiest way to show this is in C.

C Major:
C D E F G A B C
W W H W W W H

C Minor:
C D Eb F G Ab Bb C
W H W W H W W

Hope that helps.
A major scale in G would be: G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G
W W H W W W H
G^A^B^C^D^E^F#^G Gmajor
Going from G to A to A# sounds like a minor scale because it is. The only difference between the natural minor and the major scale is a flattened 3rd, 7th, and 6th.

Just remember that a Cmaj scale has all natural tones (CDEFGABC) and same with an Aminor (ABCDEFGA). I suggest you buy a book on theory.

Major WWHWWWH

I'd help more but they're kicking me out of the computer room for lunch. Good luck and I hope I didn't make any mistakes.
What... :P
Still pretty confused, I was under the impression the G major scale was
G-A-B-C-D etc.
But if it's WWHWWWH
Then it was be G-A-Bb, which I thought was minor?

bah lol.
I'll go with it for the moment though, so anyone else got anything to say about what I should be learning/what order I should do so.
G A B C D E F# G
.w. w. h w.w w. h

I don't know how you're getting Bb?

EDIT: Periods and spaces put between the w's and h's to keep them relatively under the spaces in the note names above.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.
Last edited by Vale_Deo at Mar 4, 2008,
Ah, never mind, got it now:P
I didn't really understand what the sequence actually was, thanks mate

Anyway, so d'you all reckon the UG walkthrough is the best way to go?
Go to the UG Music Theory FAQ (It's stickied in this part of the forums) Honestly, it really has just about everything you need there to get a relatively in depth view of music theory. Not entirely though, and there's always more to learn, but it will give you some real hardcore basics.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.
I'd recommend intervals first and learning scales afterwards. Learning intervals will help you identify the steps between each note easier. Helps with learning by ear alot.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first." - Samuel Langhornne Clemens