So I am buying a notebook. These things usually don't have a good sound card. This is why I'll need to buy an external one for recording. My recording rig would look like this:

guitar > Vox Tonelab SE (effects/amp and speaker simulation) > external sound card > notebook

My question is:
Do I need a notebook and sound card with fire wire or would usb2.0 be good enough? I know that recording with usb was problematic a couple of years ago, but computer related things tend to change quickly, so I was wondering if I really need firewire. The companies who produce these things aren't really into advertising their product's flaws, so I basically don't know what to buy.
Can anybody suggest a good card for recording?
You want a soundcard that has an input for a direct feed from your Tonelab?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
This can be done with any soundcard. I'll just need an adapter, but any given soundcard has an input jack that would work for this.
Ohh, okay. I first made a post and was unsure what you wanted, so I deleted it. Let me write it up for you again:

I bought this when I bought my laptop, because the (stock soundcard) audio quality was similar to hearing a man poop diarrhea. It can do 5.1 audio, and the sound quality is amazing.

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=205&product=10769
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Mar 4, 2008,
I didn't even consider something like this, though it might be even better then the fire wire stuff. It's relatively cheap as well. Thanks dude, I'll definitely check it out.
Yeah, this PCMCIA soundcard does wonders, and I think the attenuation in this guy should be incredibly lower than a USB one.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie