Hello, I was wondering do you guys play your strum patterns exactly how its written in the music..?
if i like the original strum pattern i will. Otherwise i just strum how i think sounds good
Generally, if you're rhythym allows you to change chords at the proper times, it doesn't much matter. Most people, unless they are guitar gurus will not even notice the difference. That is unless it is a very unique pattern, such as "Wonderwall".
Guild GAD-40C w/ PWM pickup
Martin 000-16GT
Washburn D10s-12
Fender Jimmie Vaughan Strat
Schecter C-1+ (For SALE!)
Epiphone G-400 Ltd. w/ EMG's
ok, thats what I ussually do. so like it doesnt really matter if your playing eigth notes or quarter notes as long as your switching chords at the proper time?
ive only been playing for i short period of time and i find that if im switching chords at the proper time its doesnt matter too much, otherwise you might get tangle up worrying about the pattern......like me
Quote by ksmash5
ok, thats what I ussually do. so like it doesnt really matter if your playing eigth notes or quarter notes as long as your switching chords at the proper time?

True, within reason of course. I mean, if the original strumming pattern is a full bar of eighth notes and then a chord change and you're only strumming once or twice it's going to make a difference. Though in some situations it could perhaps be a better alternative... Really, other than that, it depends on the timing of the chord changes. I've done alot of songs without using the exact original pattern, most times its quicker and easier to come up with something you're comfortable with playing than it is to play exactly what you hear in the artists verson of the song.
Just get as close as you can. If theres a melody with the chords like noodling with the high E string during a dmaj chord then you will have to play the strumming pattern correctly to get the right melody. Otherwise if its just backup rhythm stuff get as close as you can without straining yourself :P