Poll: is it wrong to use your middle finger to hold the pick?
Poll Options
View poll results: is it wrong to use your middle finger to hold the pick?
yes
29 24%
no
92 76%
Voters: 121.
i find it more comfortable to play with my middle finger instead of my index. a friend is telling me playing with the middle finger is wrong because it 'puts strain on your wrist' or something. does he have a point or is he talking complete bull.
Do whatever feels right.

It is TECHNICALLY "not correct", doh.

Tell that to Van Halen and Marty Friedman.
No. I use my middle finger, i find it alot more comfortable. I always thought using the index finger was retarded.... cuz it doesnt have as much grip as the middle finger.
"Even though I've found God, I still love blow jobs, and I still say fuck." - Dave Mustaine

You know, when you, like, you grab a woman's breast and it's... and you feel it and... it feels like a bag of sand when you're touching it.
It's not wrong but you're not gripping the pick as well and you have to put your wrist at a funny angle for mutes.
There are no rules on how to hold a pic, only norms. And f**k the norms. Do whatevers comfortable for you.
Quite a lot of people use their middle finger, although I personally find it uncomfortable. Do whatever feels good! If you've recently started playing though, it may be a good idea to switch to your index finger.
do whatevers comfortable, theres no wrong way to hold it, if you can hold it with youre ass and play great, then its right
I breathe air.
It's the standard that people use the thumb and forefinger but standard tuning is EADGEe and how many people use alternatives? :P just do wat you feel is right
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
I do both.

Sometimes index, sometimes middle.

And my arm hasn't fallen off yet
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
What feels better? What makes you play better? That is what you play with.

To be honest, playing guitar puts strain on your wrist anyways so... Screw it....

I like to play with my pinky and ring finger....
Well maybe not but oh well..
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60

Yes it is! Bad boy..

Nah shucks, whatever feels comfortably easy?

I guess you could look it as left and right handed people.

Most people are right but some are lefties.
Problem is that usually you get some tension in your thumb when using your middle finger for holding the pick. If YOU don't have that problem, keep on using your middle finger.
I use my index finger and thumb when I'm picking but when the song is just basic strumming I actually use my thumb, index and middle finger....
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by cob666
if james hetfield does it, why not?

I can't say that I've ever seen hetfield hold it with his middle finger.
Quote by str84ever
i use index and middle lol.

i do that too
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Simply because I could breed the pokemon, and act out my sick sexual fantasies between Dittos and Chanseys.

Quote by bequickorbedead
She had sex..with my...AIDS?
Id say no...only cause I can't imagine using my middle finger...don't be concerned about how you play...aslong as it works...My alternate picking technique is a bit different from my teachers for example but it works for me so I don't mind
Quote by Bobbito315
I can't say that I've ever seen hetfield hold it with his middle finger.

Me neither.
Quote by k00kie M0nster
I'm ok with it as long as you USE THE SEARCHBAR.

OH WOW

A SEARCHBAR JOKE

YOU ARE VERY FUNNY AND ORIGINAL
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
it's just using extra muscles and is unnecessary IMO.

holding the pick between the side of your index finger and your thumb is the position that requires the least amount of effort. To hold it with your middle finger, you'd have to move the index finger out of the way and that's just wasted energy.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
if its comfortable and it doesnt get in the way, then theres nothing wrong with using your middle finger.
IIRC, SRV held it with index and middle.

Do whatever feels right. Your friend may be correct - it may eventually fuck with your wrist, pretty sure Marty's wrist is fucked - but you're playing rock and metal guitar. You can do whatever you want.