Has anyone had experiance with the wide panel champ-amps? AKA fender wide panel champion 600? It has a four watt output and was made from 53 to 55. I was thinking it would be nice for recording.
Anyone? I was also looking at a fender 1974 silverface champ. What are good prices for these amps?
They're great little recording amps. Think Eric Clapton's Layla. The silverface Champs have gotten up above $300 nowadays, and I've seen them as high as $450.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
If you don't like the price of the silverfaces, you're really not going to like the pricing on the tweeds.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah the Tweeds cost a copule of thousands or so.

My tip is either to get a kit or a Champ 600 (new).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Any other cheaper old fender amps? like in the 300 or less range?
No. Old Fender's cost a fortune. There's other vintage stuff out there that you can still get at reasonable prices, though. But everything's going up.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by SVStee
Any other cheaper old fender amps? like in the 300 or less range?

You'll have to settle for the 70's, and a huge gob of luck, with that budget. The new Champ 600 is a tube or two (and maybe an OT) away from killer.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by slatsmania
They're great little recording amps. Think Eric Clapton's Layla. The silverface Champs have gotten up above $300 nowadays, and I've seen them as high as $450.

Have they really become that expensive?

The best cheap Fenders are the red knob series, IMO. Especially the Twin. But, people are starting to discover those too.
Have they really become that expensive?

Yep.

Silverface Champ like my 74, expect to shell out $300 or so. After I acquired a 73 Super Reverb (as payment for 3 hours fixing a computer) I started checking around and almost choked on the first price tag...$1200 for a beat up Silverface Super Reverb (mine is in lots better shape than that one), $1500 for a nice one, Blackface starts around $1500 and that's for a beat up one. Tweed? You don't wanna know...

But...a cap job and a couple of minor mods and my Silverface Super Reverb is the best sounding amp I've ever played. Hottest preamp tubes I can find, swapped a cap to tame the outrageous bass of the silverface amps, pulled the tone sucker caps on top of the tubes...crank it to 10, definitely the best amp I've ever played. It's going to really suck when I have to buy another one for a backup amp...

I played it onstage a couple of years ago along with another guitar player who was using a newer "The Twin" amp, it could get louder since it's more wattage, but didn't have the sound my Super did, and wouldn't touch the raunch I get out of it.

Champ...best practice amp around, I've had mine since 1990 and will never part with it. Excellent for recording, especially through a 12" speaker, it gets great tube sound and cranked to 10 it's not extremely loud, 6 watts so the engineer will love you. I use the hottest preamp tube I can find in it too, and since it didn't have a speaker when I got it, I finally found an 8" speaker in a Gorilla practice amp cabinet that sounds teriffic in the Champ. I made up a speaker cable so I can run it into a cabinet with a standard 1/4" guitar jack, it pushes my Kustom 2x12 and sounds great. The Champ has an RCA jack for speaker out, so a standard speaker cable won't work. I also have a 1x12 cabinet but it's 25 years old and falling apart, going to build another one soon. The Champ works best through that one.

The Tweed Champs are great, the only thing I don't like is no tone control, just the one volume knob. But as already mentioned, that's what Clapton recorded Layla with, Tweed Champ and a Strat.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
Yep.

Silverface Champ like my 74, expect to shell out $300 or so. After I acquired a 73 Super Reverb (as payment for 3 hours fixing a computer) I started checking around and almost choked on the first price tag...$1200 for a beat up Silverface Super Reverb (mine is in lots better shape than that one), $1500 for a nice one, Blackface starts around $1500 and that's for a beat up one. Tweed? You don't wanna know...

There's a 1960 Bassman selling on a dutch auction website (I got my Bassman from there as well). It's actually the first tweed I've ever seen for sale on there. There's a bid at 3500 Euros, but it won't sell for that. Beautiful condition, all original except for two caps.

Quote by Paleo Pete
I played it onstage a couple of years ago along with another guitar player who was using a newer "The Twin" amp, it could get louder since it's more wattage, but didn't have the sound my Super did, and wouldn't touch the raunch I get out of it.

Yeah, it's definitely a very clean amp. No point in buying it if you want overdrive.

Quote by Paleo Pete
I made up a speaker cable so I can run it into a cabinet with a standard 1/4" guitar jack, it pushes my Kustom 2x12 and sounds great. The Champ has an RCA jack for speaker out, so a standard speaker cable won't work. I also have a 1x12 cabinet but it's 25 years old and falling apart, going to build another one soon. The Champ works best through that one.

I put a 1/4" jack in mine. Completely reversible, and only takes a few minutes. I use a Jensen C8R, though I also occasionally play it through my Bassman cab (2x15").

Quote by Paleo Pete
The Tweed Champs are great, the only thing I don't like is no tone control, just the one volume knob. But as already mentioned, that's what Clapton recorded Layla with, Tweed Champ and a Strat.

I've also heard he used a blackface; and that he used a silverface with a 6L6GC. The tweed Champ doesn't need a tone control, IMO.
i'm looking for a good clean amp for recording (I use a peavy windsor for dist. and I love it), but I think a older champ would be awsome. Any other good vintage, clean sounding amps out there?
Quote by SVStee
i'm looking for a good clean amp for recording (I use a peavy windsor for dist. and I love it), but I think a older champ would be awsome. Any other good vintage, clean sounding amps out there?

If you call the 80's and 90's vintage, a JC-50 or 66 or 77 could do the trick.
Quote by SVStee

Check ebay for Harmony, Premier, Airline, etc. Once you start searching, ebay will suggest more brands for you to look for. I have one of each of those brands. My little Harmony is very much like the new Fender Champion 600, except it's hand-wired, tube rectified, has an original Jensen alnico speaker, and cost less!

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Ok, looked at some harmony amps, what would a good price be for a h306A? Not great cond.
That's comparable to a Blues Jr or something, a lot bigger than my amp. I'd say anything under $300 would be a great price, and if it was in good playing condition, I'd go higher. I have a couple amps that size. A Silvertone and an Airline. They're really great. Paid in the $300 range for each.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I've bought a few on ebay, too. And my AC30CC1 was a pawn shop miracle. I've stopped visiting both places because I spend way too much money. I want one of everything.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I got the H303A for under $200 shipped. I'm not an encyclopedia on Harmony amps you're gonna have to do some research on the different models.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I've searched and can't find any good sites. Know of anyplace good?
Also thinking about silvertones and supros, anyone have any exp. with either?
Supros are extremely expensive, too, because of the Jimmy Page connection. Silvertones have been gaining in popularity because of Jack White and Beck's interest in them. Neither is a particularly "clean amp."

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Also 5 watt amps are generally not a good idea for a clean amp, since they have VERY low headroom. If you need headroom for a studio I would get something with at least 15 watts.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Also 5 watt amps are generally not a good idea for a clean amp, since they have VERY low headroom. If you need headroom for a studio I would get something with at least 15 watts.

As long as you're not trying to keep up with drums, I see no problems with the headroom.
Ture, but generally, I find that if I would use an amp only for clean I'd get something with a bit more headroom.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I played one of these fender champion 600 amps yesterday and all I can say is wow. I never expected to hear such sparkle and tone from a 6 inch speaker. I am going to have to pick one of these up.
See if you can find an old ampeg reverb rocket. Stellar amp
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic