Poll: Are you Objective or Subjective?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are you Objective or Subjective?
Objective
35 24%
Subjective
37 26%
Depends on the Situation
60 42%
Don't Care.
10 7%
Voters: 143.
Page 1 of 2
Are you

Objective
- You see things and take them as they are. Facts and reason appeal more to you. When making decisions you analyze the situation, the circumstances, and consequences.

-OR-

Subjective - You see things and take them according to your own interpretation. Emotions and relationships appeal more to you. When making decisions you consider the poeple involved, its effect on you and others, and how you feel about it.

Edit: Do you think age has anything to do with how you are?
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Anyone who makes decisions based on one without taking into account the other probably makes alot of bad decisions.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Anyone who makes decisions based on one without taking into account the other probably makes alot of bad decisions.

+1
Quote by Jackal58
I'd say I'm subjective but I'm not sure
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
No one is one or the other, everyone is both. Certain things are objective, certain things are subjective.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
its foolish to dychotimize this. some situations call for one or the other.
Everyone is subjective. If you think you're truly objective, remember that you're operating without perfect information.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
Quote by revan1013
Everyone is subjective. If you think you're truly objective, remember that you're operating without perfect information.

Yes but how do most process those information? You can be objective even with the most whacked info at hand.
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by revan1013

Just because you don't know the truth, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist...

You just don't understand what objective means.
I don't really understand how true objectivity is possible, so I'll say subjective.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Quote by denizenz
Just because you don't know the truth, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist...

You just don't understand what objective means.

Explain that a little more. I thought he was perfectly right.
Quote by revan1013

objective means facts available.

Not the be-all facts.

Not many be-all facts exist anyway.
Quote by freedoms_stain
objective means facts available.

Not the be-all facts.

Not many be-all facts exist anyway.

That is exactly the point I think. There is no be all facts. Objectivity requires the ability to view something from all possible sides, knowing everything there is to know about it. This is not possible, as we are limited to one point of view, ours that is. And we can never be sure if we considered everything there is to consider.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 4, 2008,
Quote by TheQuailman
Explain that a little more. I thought he was perfectly right.

Objectivism has nothing to do with what we believe to be true. It is the belief that truth exists regardless of how we think or feel.
Quote by denizenz
Objectivism has nothing to do with what we believe to be true. It is the belief that truth exists regardless of how we think or feel.

Now I get it. I agree. Thanks.
Quote by TheQuailman
Now I get it. I agree. Thanks.

So, even if we have incorrect or partial information, objectivity exists. When people thought that the Earth was flat, it didn't change the fact that it was not. Existence and truth exist and are objective.
Quote by mrwaffles
I am actually a Nihilist. Thus, I fall under subjective.

Mind if I ask what that is?
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by kikaykitko
Mind if I ask what that is?

It's tough to explain. Basically, it's believing that living is without purpose. It's very complicated, though.
Quote by denizenz
So, even if we have incorrect or partial information, objectivity exists. When people thought that the Earth was flat, it didn't change the fact that it was not. Existence and truth exist and are objective.

Yep, but I think what ts meant was if WE are objective, meaning if we are capable of recognising the truth. I don't think we are, valid reasons have already been posted.
Though there is one I'd like to add: All the information you get (except for the information that you yourself exist) comes from outside of you, meaning you get it from your eyes, ears,....
But you can never be sure if that information is right, or if your being fooled by your own senses (I read some stuff Kant and Hume wrote, I think their ideas on the subject are what I can relate to the most).

Please excuse my terrible language, I have a hard time expressing my thoughts in english.
Please excuse my terrible language, I have a hard time expressing my thoughts in english.

You write english more fluently than I think. Never would have guessed it's not your first language.
Quote by aaron13
Quote by Hobolad

You write english more fluently than I think. Never would have guessed it's not your first language.

Thank you, that was a an instant ego-boost.
Quote by mrwaffles
It's tough to explain. Basically, it's believing that living is without purpose. It's very complicated, though.

Very simple. They deny any objective truths, they say they do not exist, which is ridiculous.

Logical necessities for the win.
Quote by TheQuailman
Yep, but I think what ts meant was if WE are objective, meaning if we are capable of recognising the truth. I don't think we are, valid reasons have already been posted.
Though there is one I'd like to add: All the information you get (except for the information that you yourself exist) comes from outside of you, meaning you get it from your eyes, ears,....
But you can never be sure if that information is right, or if your being fooled by your own senses (I read some stuff Kant and Hume wrote, I think their ideas on the subject are what I can relate to the most).

That is called empirialism, which is strongly denied by modern philosophers. Immanuel Kant had the right ideas on this, drawing emperialism, and the other opposite, rationalism, into two things. We are born with innate knowledge, but use that to clarify what we know from what we obtain from the external environment, thus, providing us with knowledge.

This also gives lee way for objective and subjective truths.

Second bold is an old, old statement Refer to Rene Descartes and Mediations on First Philosophy for this one

EDIT: I understand you may know this already, but may have trouble using the right English terms. If you don't understand these terms, wiki offers pretty good answers
Last edited by Craigo at Mar 4, 2008,
Quote by Craigo
Very simple. They deny any objective truths, they say they do not exist, which is ridiculous.

No they dont. Nihilism is an appealing and logical point of view, quiet down
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy

It's not that ridiculous. True objectivity can't exist- the truth may be out there but different people see different truths, it's inevitable. Things with personality can never be truly objective.

Nihilism- a perfect chance to show off with a quote! "2+2=4 is a fine thing, but 2+2=5 is also a very fine thing!"
Quote by aaron13
Quote by Craigo

To be fair, it cannot really be ruled out, but it's so unlikely that I'd never consider nihilism to be right.
And 'cause I'm a smartass: If the nihilists are right than it's true that there is no truth, so we have found something that is true after all, proving the nihilists wrong. It's lame but I find it ironic.
Completely situationist.
I (personally) cannot see how objectivism can work properly, but you know.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Hobolad
It's not that ridiculous. True objectivity can't exist- the truth may be out there but different people see different truths, it's inevitable. Things with personality can never be truly objective.

Nihilism- a perfect chance to show off with a quote! "2+2=4 is a fine thing, but 2+2=5 is also a very fine thing!"

Friedrich Nietzsche - opening pages of Beyond Good and Evil asks 'why do we search for truth', which is a fair enough statement. However, denying all logical necessities is ridiculous. 'All bachelors are unmarried' is a self evident, objective truth. No-one can deny that, just like we cannot deny 2+2=4.
Last edited by Craigo at Mar 4, 2008,
Quote by Yngwi3
Completely situationist.
I (personally) cannot see how objectivism can work properly, but you know.

Objective truths are also known as logical necessities, including 2+2=4
Quote by TheQuailman
To be fair, it cannot really be ruled out, but it's so unlikely that I'd never consider nihilism to be right.
And 'cause I'm a smartass: If the nihilists are right than it's true that there is no truth, so we have found something that is true after all, proving the nihilists wrong. It's lame but I find it ironic.

You're using word games there And yep. That's another reason why it doesn't work
Quote by Craigo

I could sit here and talk about how looking at humanity, you can clearly see that people are living meaningless lives without any real moral value or definite truth but I don't give a damn about what you believe and I'm sure I won't convince you of anything.
Page 1 of 2