no clue mate, see if your local shop knows anything about it. Maybe they have a guy who can figure it out.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
its a silvertone 1477, otherwise known as a harmony silhouette.

http://www.vintagesilvertones.com/forsale_silvrtn-tobc_1477.html
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
Last edited by doctorums at Mar 4, 2008,
looks kinda like a mothrite..... what does it say on the headstock?
How does it sound?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
it sounds great. The neck pick up produces a nice full clear sound. and the bridge has sort of a country twang to it. It also sounds good distorted. I just need something actually good to play it and my Les Paul thru.
I prefer the tube amps, much fuller sound. I have played the Vox the most, I will have to get one soon. I had a very similar guitar to that when I first started playing. My cousin lent it to me for me to learn on before I got my first ax. The action wasn't that great but it did sound good. I think ULTRA was in the title, but it looked very similar to your gramps' ax. Nice Paul too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
That guitar is known as a Harmony Silhouette/Bobkat with DeArmond Golden Tone pickups. It was probably made in the mid 1960s by Harmony, even tho it says Silvertone. I own a similar guitar, and it is a nice student-type axe. It sounds super when played clean thru an old Fender tube amp. A nice little guitar!!
1966 Harmony H-14 Bobkat
1974 Ibanez Les Paul Custom 2350
1980 Ibanez BL-300NT Blazer
1987 Fender Stratocaster 72' RI Pink Paisley
1990 Fender HM Strat
1996 Fender Stratocaster Fat Strat
1998 Epiphone Sheraton II