I currently have an RGA121 with V7 and V8 pickups, and they aren't all that great, at least not high gain enough for my style of play(mostly metal). I play through a Podxt Live, and since it's a modeling amp, i was wondering if my getting new pickups would make my sound any heavier? I was looking at some dimarzios(i need pickups that can be coil tapped, so no actives).

What pickups would you suggest i get to get really high gain on the bridge and some nice cleans in the neck? (i'm preparing for when i get a tube amp also, but i want to get better distortion out of my pod, too.)

By the way, my guitar is made of mahogany.

Thanks.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
Last edited by SomeDude49 at Mar 4, 2008,
On a modeling amp i somehow doubt pickups would have a huge effect except on your clean tone, but i could be wrong.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by tomguitarworshi
On a modeling amp i somehow doubt pickups would have a huge effect except on your clean tone, but i could be wrong.

Right, but i'm somewhat preparing for when i get a tube amp, and right now i'm just trying to make my high gain settings sound better. More punch.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
THey'll have a noticeable differance. For dimarzios and high gain you can use the Evolution
The D Sonic, The X2N, and a few others, go to www.dimarzio.com they have a pickup selector to help. And just for the record, the EMG 89 is an active that is coil tap-able. It comes with a puch pull pot and it sounds like an EMG 85 in humbucker mode and an SA in single mode. I have one in my jackson in the neck position inverted.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
THey'll have a noticeable differance. For dimarzios and high gain you can use the Evolution
The D Sonic, The X2N, and a few others, go to www.dimarzio.com they have a pickup selector to help. And just for the record, the EMG 89 is an active that is coil tap-able. It comes with a puch pull pot and it sounds like an EMG 85 in humbucker mode and an SA in single mode. I have one in my jackson in the neck position inverted.

I also want a really tight sound, clear notes, not just a bunch of distortion. It brought up choices on what i chose but what would you suggest for a really heavy, but distinguished and accurate sound for the bridge? In the neck i want a lot of warmth. It's nice to see results from the site but i'd like someone's personal opinion from experience on this.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
It depends a lot on what amp you're going to get. I'm not a fan of ultra-high gain pickups, if you're using a high-gain amp already they just sound sterile and horrible, and even more so for clean tones. Try medium-hot pickups like the DiMarzio Breed, Evo, Fred or PAF Pro, the Duncan JB or Pearly Gates, or anything from the Bare Knuckle 'Contemporary' range.