Are .50 picks good enough for speed picking. Also, what is the correct/most common way to speed pick. Basically how do I hold the pick?

Thanks.
Quote by Iamonfire
Dear sweet zombie Jesus, I just creamed my pants.
i use .38s which are very thin, and they work perfectly, so .50's should be fine
"Life is like oral sex, one slip of the tongue and your in s**t"
i tend to use thicker picks than .50
the pick tends to react more to how your moving your hand cause there's less give on the string.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by Footzyrama
i tend to use thicker picks than .50
the pick tends to react more to how your moving your hand cause there's less give on the string.

I know what you mean. I personally can play faster with thick picks, I use 1.5's.

The greatest pick ever right here

(Invalid img)
Last edited by Geartrigger at Mar 4, 2008,
Jazz III = 1.18mm or so picks. Badass picks for tremolo picking!

Also, there is a Tortex covered Jazz III which is rather comfortable.
"If you tell anybody about these trees.. I WILL CUT YOU!!" - Bob Ross

Gear
Ibanez RG470 | '87 Peavey Predator LMT
Peavey 5150!! | Vader 212!! | Crate GLX65
MXR Dime Dist | Crybaby | Boss TU-80 | ISP Decimator

My Band - Under the Blade
Last edited by The Faded Line at Mar 4, 2008,
It depends on your string gauge. I use Tortex .88 which are great with .10-.52s
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I bought a 2mm pick as a joke once a few years back. It's the only one i can play with now. it all depends on what you're used to I suppose. if you can get a decent speed with your .50 then stick with it.
as an aside to the thing, is it 'fast' to be able to pick at a speed over 400bpm (the metronome only goes that fast). or is that still relativly 'slow'.

@topic. i use really thin picks, not sure what mm but i prefer thinner picks much more than thick ones
depends how many notes you play each beat. you could be playing 32nd notes at 160bpm and that is really fast.
most people when they metronome go at 16ths for practice, which is 4 notes per tick, it helps with timing or something i think, so 400bpm = 100bpm with 16th notes, most regular guitarists will aim for 140-160 16ths, but shred, rock, metal, any genre really, can have speeds a lot faster, over 200, sometimes over 250 playing 16ths
Thinner picks=less control=rubbish for fast picking.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ORLY? in the end it depends what ur comfortable with, try both hard and soft picks see which u prefer.

@flash heart thanks, i still need alot of work if i want to shred haha
Thin picks flex a lot, that means a lot of the energy you put into picking is wasted bending the pick instead of being transferred to the string. Flexing also takes time, if you're trying to pick at speed you'll find yourself trying to hit strings when the pick isn't actually there.

These are TINY things, but they make a big difference when you get to shred speeds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think that some medium/heavy picks are beter.I would use 0.88 mm minimum.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X