I have to do something for a science fair so I was thinking of doing a light pedal thing. So according to the sound you make it would light up different and would light up according to rhythm.This pedal would be completely useless as to doing anything but look cool.. I was thinking of using some sort of tuner to "conduct" the lights. And I'm completely horrible with wiring and diagrams. So anything would be extremely helpful as how to wire, what to wire, prices, stuff like that.
Thanks!!
BTW taking a pedal tuner apart and putting it into a Radioshack enclosure isn't an option
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
If you did a set of clipping diodes using LEDs and a clear enclosure that would light up.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I have seen these circuits before. Interesting to see how it would turn out in a pedal form. Good luck.

-Mick
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by tubab0y
If you did a set of clipping diodes using LEDs and a clear enclosure that would light up.

This means nothing to me.. But thanks!!!
EDIT: Would this have anything to do with clipping LEDs directly to a circuit board?

Quote by kyle62
Hmm sounds fun - make sure you use lots of lighting though or it'll just look like an overambitious pedal tuner....

yeah I planned on doing that. But the clear enclosure thing is something I hadn't thought of. I might do that instead.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Bizzump
please I need help
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
To be perfectly honest... it sounds like you're in over your head.

If you just want something to light up, you can flash LED's using a chip, some caps and a few resistors. Read this:
http://wild-bohemian.com/electronics/flasher.html

If you want it to be in time with your playing, doing something along the lines of a DS-1 clone or a TS-9 clone would be possible, and replacing the diodes with LED's. A pedal like this would also be usable for playing. You could just simply order a GGG or BYOC kit for this. I believe the BYOC has LED's in the kit. Read the links below pertaining to a Tubescreamer.

http://buildyourownclone.com/overdrive.html
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=22&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

Cheaper still is the DS-1 option. You can buy one of these used for like $25, replace the two clipping diodes with LED's, drill some holes, and mount these on the enclosure.

For any of this besides modding the DS-1, you're going to want a clear plastic enclosure.
Scroll through this: http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpgPL.htm

Good Luck
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by SRVStrat808
To be perfectly honest... it sounds like you're in over your head.

If you just want something to light up, you can flash LED's using a chip, some caps and a few resistors. Read this:
http://wild-bohemian.com/electronics/flasher.html

If you want it to be in time with your playing, doing something along the lines of a DS-1 clone or a TS-9 clone would be possible, and replacing the diodes with LED's. A pedal like this would also be usable for playing. You could just simply order a GGG or BYOC kit for this. I believe the BYOC has LED's in the kit. Read the links below pertaining to a Tubescreamer.

http://buildyourownclone.com/overdrive.html
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=22&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

Cheaper still is the DS-1 option. You can buy one of these used for like $25, replace the two clipping diodes with LED's, drill some holes, and mount these on the enclosure.

For any of this besides modding the DS-1, you're going to want a clear plastic enclosure.
Scroll through this: http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpgPL.htm

Good Luck

Completely sick. I am probably going to choose the DS1 option. Is there a way to like, link LEDs. Because 2 seems kind of..weak even with the clear plastic. Also how would the LEDs light up? Would they be on all the time or would they come on as the signal was passed through?
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
I'm not sure what the consequences of linking multiple LED's in parallel or series may be, but hopefully someone else can comment on that.

Again, going with the DS-1 scenario, they would only light up when you're playing. For maximum effect, you'd probably want to short out the standard LED indicator on the pedal, or at least cover it in like black tape.

But two might actually be very bright, depending of course on the type of LED's you use. You'd definitely want ultrabright 5mm LED's.

I'm not absolutely positive on this one, but i think that if you increased the gain pot to a 1M pot, increased R11 to like 250k, and dropped R9 to something like 15ohms, you'd be increasing the gain, therefore putting more current across the clipping LED's, and causing them to light up brighter. You'd also have a terrible sounding pedal.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Last edited by SRVStrat808 at Mar 7, 2008,
Quote by SRVStrat808
I'm not sure what the consequences of linking multiple LED's in parallel or series may be, but hopefully someone else can comment on that.

Again, going with the DS-1 scenario, they would only light up when you're playing. For maximum effect, you'd probably want to short out the standard LED indicator on the pedal, or at least cover it in like black tape.

But two might actually be very bright, depending of course on the type of LED's you use. You'd definitely want ultrabright 5mm LED's.

I'm not absolutely positive on this one, but i think that if you increased the gain pot to a 1M pot, increased R11 to like 250k, and dropped R9 to something like 15ohms, you'd be increasing the gain, therefore putting more current across the clipping LED's, and causing them to light up brighter. You'd also have a terrible sounding pedal.

Quote by james4
you can add more LEDs in the clipping section, but it'll change the tone you'll be getting.

Hmm this sounds good to me. Even if it has horrible tone that's fine as long as I get the job done with the LEDs. James4 what's the clipping section??
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
yeti
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
I just remembered.. I have the guts to a Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah. If I could replace the diodes with LEDs would that do what I want?
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
No. The only reason that wah would have diodes is for reverse polarity protection. That wouldn't help you.

The DS-1 idea is simple to do and it'd be my first suggestion. And for your above question, the clipping section is where the diodes are. It seems you can add multiple ones in series.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by SRVStrat808
No. The only reason that wah would have diodes is for reverse polarity protection. That wouldn't help you.

The DS-1 idea is simple to do and it'd be my first suggestion. And for your above question, the clipping section is where the diodes are. It seems you can add multiple ones in series.

Alright that's fine. So would I just solder each LED together when there through the little holes? Like let's say +to- -to+ and somehow link it all the way to the first one? (Sorry if I sound like a complete dick but I'm just brainstorming here )
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
I wouldnt suggest going over 4 led's total.

When you get the DS-1 board, there will be two diodes. First, note the orientation of each (positive end and negative end). They should be opposite of each other. Then you'll take your LED's, and solder the first two in series, and then solder the second two in series. Then for each set of diodes you removed, you'll take the positive end of the pair, and put it in the lug where the positive end of the diode was. then you'll take the negative end of the pair and put it in the lug where the negative end of the diode was. Simple. For these mods, you'll definitely want some desoldering braid.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by SRVStrat808
I wouldnt suggest going over 4 led's total.

When you get the DS-1 board, there will be two diodes. First, note the orientation of each (positive end and negative end). They should be opposite of each other. Then you'll take your LED's, and solder the first two in series, and then solder the second two in series. Then for each set of diodes you removed, you'll take the positive end of the pair, and put it in the lug where the positive end of the diode was. then you'll take the negative end of the pair and put it in the lug where the negative end of the diode was. Simple. For these mods, you'll definitely want some desoldering braid.

That sounds incredibly simple. Thank you for all your help. I'll get pics up when I get this project going.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112