Page 1 of 2
kirkhammett09
220 IQ
whats the lowest tuning a guitar can tune to until it just becomes too low? I'm usually in standard and don't want to down tune but I was just curious. The lowest I think I've seen is B standard. Any lower?
Vintage_Axe
kite+board =kiteboardin
62 IQ
i think there's drop A which korn have used if im right???
Happy birthday Slash
Quote by Shred-Hed
What do you think the odds are that he'll read this...?

Quote by TJ1991
A lot higher than Chinese Democracy ever being released.
jbyrd
10 IQ
ive tuned a 7 i had to g but it didn't sound that great. I think Chevelle tuned to a# before or maybe lower.
distortion4116
10 IQ
the lowest i've heard any one go down to was g on a 7 string. But evidentally Y00p's heard drop E. That's insane. I can't even imagine how.. incoherent that must sound lol
Bassmastajazzyj
10 IQ
Drop E on a Six string like a full octave down from normal E
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
Teh GIR
200 IQ
Tune that low and then use an octave pedal to drop it 2 octaves below again

lol
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Ichimaru
UG Newbie
50 IQ
On a 6-string, its just as low as possible until the sound produced by the strings becomes inaudible. It'll be different on every guitar, depending on the length, pickup height, string height and type of bridge. also the type of pickups and strings used.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
distortion4116
10 IQ
bass players who play with guitar players that tune down a full octave must use telephone wires for strings
PekarGuitar
I Banged My Doppelganger
20 IQ
There are such things baritone guitars but i guess that's a whole different instrument (like bass is). It all depends on what size strings you have. The thicker the strings the lower you can go.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Fi-Fi
Banned
133 IQ
Quote by kirkhammett09
whats the lowest tuning a guitar can tune to until it just becomes too low? I'm usually in standard and don't want to down tune but I was just curious. The lowest I think I've seen is B standard. Any lower?

the lowest you've 'seen' ? sorry just needed to commetn on that, but else: i like drop C and alternative tunings like type-o-negative uses, mostly for bass though.
It gives the base more purpose and a melancholic sounds sometimes
cashewchaching
Follower of Christ
70 IQ
Quote by distortion4116
bass players who play with guitar players that tune down a full octave must use telephone wires for strings

O_o wha???
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
SG Man Forever
all dongs go to heaven
160 IQ
Quote by distortion4116

Seriously. THe equivalent of a low bass E must be like half an inch think.

The lowest I think a guitar should go is either C standard or drop C.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
hellraiser1133
184 IQ
Quote by distortion4116

If a guitar tunes down to E, its producing the same note as a bass...since a bass is one octave lower than a 6 string...however, no guitar I've ever seen can make an audible sound a full octave down tuned.
distortion4116
10 IQ
Quote by hellraiser1133
If a guitar tunes down to E, its producing the same note as a bass...since a bass is one octave lower than a 6 string...however, no guitar I've ever seen can make an audible sound a full octave down tuned.

yea, i know, i'm just saying the strings for the bass to tune that low and not flop all over the place when the bassist plays must be, as SG man forever said, a half inch thick or so.
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!
190 IQ
Well, if you change a string when plugged in, you get that 'flob 'flob 'flob' noise as the string gets really loose - does that count?

Or...grow up, and learn to master standard tuning before you start messing about with all that muddy drop-tuned stuff.
distortion4116
10 IQ
Quote by kyle62

Or...grow up, and learn to master standard tuning before you start messing about with all that muddy drop-tuned stuff.

lol yea.. i actually prefer standard. And honestly i've heard bands play in standard tuning and sound heavier than bands that play in drop-c, -b, -a, etcetera.
BladeSlinger
nerd
120 IQ
I've heard of F# Standard on an 8 stringer....
Quote by cemges
And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
CtrlBurn
10 IQ
I once saw a guy at Bass Fest play a low G. It was billed as 3 octaves lower than anyone else has ever played.
1996 Strat Plus (modded)
Peavey Classic 50
ZVex Fuzz Factory
Vox Clyde McCoy wah
Maxon AD-999 delay
bi-ah!
UG Addict
100 IQ
couldnt you just by a bass instead of droptuning a guitar that low?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
60 IQ
Quote by hellraiser1133

Well, I can put my 6 string in drop A (I play Korn, don't have a 7), so a 7 could get to drop E
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka
293 IQ
I think that lower than B is ridiculous, I think E is the tuning for me, but yet again that's for me. I just don't like listeening to Octave D standard (A friend of mine uses this as his main tuning...)
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
60 IQ
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I think that lower than B is ridiculous, I think E is the tuning for me, but yet again that's for me. I just don't like listeening to Octave D standard (A friend of mine uses this as his main tuning...)

Octave D? You mean like, 7 steps down?
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka
293 IQ
Yes, like a bass in D...horrid music this man makes.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
YourDad
Ug's Fender Disliker
30 IQ
Static-X as of now uses Drop A on regular 6 strings.

It's the lowes I'VE heard of. But ive screwed around a bit and it can go really low until the amp doesn't respond, or the string flops around like shemale organ.

When I was screwing around on my 6th string peg I went a few octives too low and my amp didn't even give off any sound anymore.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Last edited by YourDad at Mar 4, 2008,
Slayer566
UG Fanatic
30 IQ
Z is the lowest :P
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis
250 IQ
Meshuggah wins this.

Drop E, on Stengah.

F# or F Standard on the rest... W/8 string guitars, of course.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
60 IQ
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Yes, like a bass in D...horrid music this man makes.

.....how the **** do the strings stay attached?

Quote by YourDad
Static-X as of now uses Drop A on regular 6 strings.

A#
bjoern_swe
UG's The Hives-fan
20 IQ
I like B-standard, like my 7-string. I go down to drop-A for some songs, even though it's a little bit too low. I would prefer A#
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
truespin
The... Um... Guy.
40 IQ
Quote by GoDrex
I like to tune down to drop-Q - - it's ****ing heavy maaaaan

Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
DeathDealer
UG's citizen Kane
20 IQ
Stormlord plays in A, think Nile does also
with 6 strings & still sounds good...but they use the 6th string at around .70
JabyMason
52 IQ
The answer is simple... anyone heard of the Warwick Vampire Dark Lord Bass Guitar?... Its tune (from Low to high) F#, B, E, A... the F# is 23hz, most people wont be able to hear it due to damage to their hearing... also the F# string has a gauge of .175, now i got a 5 string bass, the lowest I tune is ADGCF (low to high) but my strings aren't too floppy if i put it down to GCFBE but the low G is useless then being my amp wont be able to play it.

Leave anything below drop-c to the bassists you guitarists ... though it isnt unheard of guitarists using the high G bass string as their top string and other thick strings and playing in tunings down to G-tuning.

If the strings go floppy, the guitar wont be worth listening to cause it will sound so naff.

The lower you tune the thincker the strings you will need... I think the Warwick dark lord strings prove this .175 - .85 !!!

Does this answer everything for you?
Last edited by JabyMason at Jul 25, 2009,
Page 1 of 2