I've decided to get a cheap strat to mod soon, and I want it to have a useable tremolo. What is a strat with a good stock trem/what are good strat trem styles. And what can I do to keep it even more in tune?
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Vintage V6 Icon. It has a Wilkinsons tremolo on it. They're pretty decent.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
On the Gilmourish web site, it states that David Gilmour used to painstakingly ensure that the screws were tight and flush with the body of the guitar. He felt this helped keep the strat in tune. Haven't tried it myself, though (my whammy bar use is subtle -- I'm holding out for an FR or ZR whammy bar for a future guitar for whammy bar wackiness).
Just something I heard from one of the guys at one of the local shops around here (where I live):

Supposedly you remove the middle 4 screws and leave the 2 end ones because 2 points dictates a straight line (thus some of the higher end trems use 2 pivot points), then you replace the nut with a different material like Bone, Brass, or Graphite.
He also mentioned something about how you wind your strings around the tuning posts.

Sounds like a lot of work to me.

Personally, in my own experience, a good quality Floyd holds tune the best. Can't stand the standard fender trem. Love the guitar, hate the trem.
Washburn Dime 333, Ibanez RG7620, LTD MH250NT w/ EMG 89x's
Modded Boss Metal Zone, Boss CE-5, DD-3, Intellifex
Jet City JCA2112RC, ADA MP-1 Preamp,
GK 400RB Bass head
Marshall and Ampeg 4x12 cabs
I've found guitars with roller saddles really help Strat trems. My idea combo would be roller saddles, graphite nut, and locking tuners. That said you would need to go after market on all of that.
Don't strat necks tend to warp if you press down on the tremolo too much?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
Don't strat necks tend to warp if you press down on the tremolo too much?

Eh, never heard that. I guess you could IN THEORY if your trem is really tight, and thus you need to put a lot of force on it to bend it. You could bend the neck and don't notice it because of this. I've never actually heard of it being an issue though.
Right now my plan was to:

Get used strat with a two point tremolo from my local store (they have one that has a Two point piezo tremolo, on which the piezo doesn't work but I'm getting its an easy fix like a lose wire, for 299$) putting locking tuners on it (possibly planet wave auto-cut tuners) and a graphite nut.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by axe_2_grind
J
Supposedly you remove the middle 4 screws and leave the 2 end ones because 2 points dictates a straight line (thus some of the higher end trems use 2 pivot points)

I wouldn't recommend this. You can loosen the 4 middle screws a little, but you should keep them in there.

read this:

http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster.php

lots of good tips for standard strats.

trying the strings around the tuner does work pretty well.