http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMIrMdribQo

I found this video of him playing In This River for Dimebag. And it is very special to me and I thought you should see it.

But I have a few ?'s too. Like how does he get that awesome sound? I have been trying to get something close, but to no avail. And I would like tips on how he hits those P.H.'s on the thicker strings higher frets (i.e. 3rd fret, low "E" string) I have bneen wondering how to get them easier thanks.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
i met zakk, hes a great guy, very genuine
look at my pics on my profile, theres one of me with him
he uses a wah a lot for part of his sound
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Expensive guitars amps and talent my friend.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
the solo in the intro was pretty repetitive but i still like the song

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
I would say that, at least from what ive heard, he uses alot of crunchy OD and some reverb. EMGs, Marshall JCMs, his Signature OD pedal, and a whole lotta talent. He also has (at least some of his) guitars strung so that the strings wrap over his tailpiece, and his tailpiece is screwed down to the body. Helps with sustain and you can also get some wider vibrato with it.
His signature OD pedal is essentially a Boss SD1, made a lot more expensive.
It's just a boost for his JCM800. Crank up the level on it, keep the gain low.
On the amp, everything on 10 as 99% of the time with Marshall

Can't stand this tune.
Quote by CroneR
the solo in the intro was pretty repetitive but i still like the song

Unfortunately, thats what happens with pentatonics.

I would describe Zakk's tone as a crunch marshall-ish distortion.
I know he plays JCM-800s with his OD slapped in front with all knobs at full.
He also has his signature wah, rotovibe, mxr phaser, flanger, and chorus in there too.
The tunes great, but as for his sound, the p.h.'s at least, you gotta use a lot of vibrato!!!
BTW: Does anyone know the specs on Randy's Flying V that Zakk has?
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I only Like his PIMP guitars
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Another thing he uses is the EMG 81/85 active pickup combo... They really intensify the pinch harmonics...

BUT, he's just WAY freaking good at hitting them too.. I'm pretty sure that guy could make a shoe lace squeal by picking it.... he's just that damn good...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
Another thing he uses is the EMG 81/85 active pickup combo... They really intensify the pinch harmonics...

BUT, he's just WAY freaking good at hitting them too.. I'm pretty sure that guy could make a shoe lace squeal by picking it.... he's just that damn good...

Hahahaha, he actually speaks in pinch harmonics now.
Quote by Reildeal

haha

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Quote by What_is_my_name
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMIrMdribQo

I found this video of him playing In This River for Dimebag. And it is very special to me and I thought you should see it.

But I have a few ?'s too. Like how does he get that awesome sound? I have been trying to get something close, but to no avail. And I would like tips on how he hits those P.H.'s on the thicker strings higher frets (i.e. 3rd fret, low "E" string) I have bneen wondering how to get them easier thanks.

A lot of the sound he gets when he plays his fastest parts is to use the wah-wah pedal as a treble boost, which he does a lot. In that solo, when he bends from D to E before the fast part, he kicks the wah all the way down and leaves it there. He's great at using the wah to control the amount of treble he gets.
Zakk is Rad.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
His action is raised a little Higher than Most players would like to allow the Low Stringed Pinches to ring out a bit more. And hes crazy good at PH's

Refer to my sig for any further questions about Zakk and his Pinches
nice too see theres a decent ZW thread with out half the people slaggin him off, i personally think hes an amazin guitarist, my missus isnt into metal or any real stuff unless its pop and r&b sorta stuff and she is still an amazin fan of ZW doesnt that show reasonably that he is good if he can get people who dont usually listen to that music to be able to sit and listen to that stuff.

im glad nobodies slaggin him off atleast in this thread
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by zekk
Expensive guitars and amps my friend.

Fixed.

Anyways, he uses high gain Marshall's and EMG 81's.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
I have seen a vid on youtube of Zakk explaining how he does his pinch harmonics, but pretty much all you have to do is practice and experiment with them. a good way that i find to nail them ( i think its on that zakk video too) is do NOTHING but them, do the 1-2-3-4 fret thing on each string ONLY using pinch harmonics,maybe a bit of vibrato after a few days or weeks of doing that they should be like cake
Quote by RR4EVA666
I am a fag, deal with it.

There you go, I fixed it up and added a bit of punctuation.
Quote by Fagass_bitch
There you go, I fixed it up and added a bit of punctuation.

n00b
Also, is it me or is Zakk now becoming a whammy addict, i saw him in December with Ozzy and Rob Zombie and the first minute of his solo was "wrarwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww." and on this video he used it also.

I noticed he is using a Dimebucker in that guitar too, i would have thought he would have replaced it with his signature 81 and 85. His tone doesnt sound much different with it.

Anyway thats my favorite Zakk video now, Thanks
Quote by RR4EVA666
I'm a n00b

Here you go man, I think this is what you meant.. You really should work on your typing skills bro.. We can't keep fixing your posts..... Peace
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by Reildeal
Here you go man, I think this is what you meant.. You really should work on your typing skills bro.. We can't keep fixing your posts..... Peace

Yea he has to work on his typing a bit.