Let me get this straight. Can i plug this thing into my Roland Cube 30X and get a genuinely good tube sound out of it? I'm going to college soon so i can't have a really loud amp(any tube amp over 5w) and i can't spend too much money. Would this be a good way to get a tube sound?
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
it wouldn't work
the preamp needs a poweramp to power it.
and the roland cube does not do that.
i don't see what you'd plug it into.
Then i guess i could just plug my HD280's into them? I don't mind wearing headphones i guess.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Quote by glamdring22
it wouldn't work

Effects return
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by joining_heads
Effects return

+1

If you have an effects loop your good to go.

Only issue is it will be a hybrid so your only half way there. For true tube warmth you need a fully tubed amp... With that preamp your just going to sound slightly less Digitial but still digital..
ya, headphones would work pretty well
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
It won't be that great, but it'd work (you'd probably use the Aux In).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
It won't be that great, but it'd work (you'd probably use the Aux In).

They have a headphone out its a 2w solid state out
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Ypu could plug it straight in to the input stage of the roland but you would ruin the sound of the Engl and possibly fry the preamp stage of the roland. Proper preamps want to go into the Effects return of amps or directly into a power amp.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by sirlimecat
They have a headphone out its a 2w solid state out

I mean, plug the E530 into the Aux In. That way the cube's modelling won't mess it up.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
I mean, plug the E530 into the Aux In. That way the cube's modelling won't mess it up.

That would work but you will have to be very carefull with the output volume on the preamp as you could fry the aux in stage of the Cube.

Use the compensated out on the engl and you can set the output volume using the pot on the back of the preamp so it doesnt overload the Aux in stage on the Cube.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
going to bump this to ask what to put my E530 in if i decide to get it? Like what casing to put around it to protect it?

Thanks.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
I plug my Engl E530's line output straight into the instrument input of my POS Crate solid-state practice amp, and it sounds great! I haven't had any problems with its input level being too hot either. If you're paranoid, there's a line level output pot on the back you can turn down low if you want.

The headphone output is switchable: standard headphone ouput or 1.5-Watt stereo power amp output. Leave it in the headphone position, since you can short out the Engl if you have the power amp switch on, and you don't have the correct cable inserted (stereo). Plus, the Engl's built-in, 1.5-Watt, stereo power amp isn't really worth the trouble anyway.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Mar 6, 2008,
Quote by glamdring22
it wouldn't work

The roland cube would be acting at a power amp..

You could run it straight into the amps imput if it does not have "effects return"

Otherwise run it into a "effects return"

Im thinking about getting one myself for my Mesa/boogie 2:90 down the line.
Quote by SomeDude49
going to bump this to ask what to put my E530 in if i decide to get it? Like what casing to put around it to protect it?

Thanks.

SKB is a solid brand, as said above. There are a few other ones, as well. Look for something that feels sturdy and has a casing to cover over it to protect it when not in use or when it is being moved.

At a minimum, you should get one with 4 slots (1 for the pre-amp, 2 for the power-amp you probably will eventually want to get, and 1 for a power conditioner or at least a power strip), but since they aren't much more expensive or heavy, you may want to go ahead and get a 6 slot one, so you have a couple of extra slots if you want to add anything down the line (a second pre-amp, effects, tuners, etc).
FWIW . . .

This is how I'm building my current Engl rack system (in order of install, from top to bottom). I still need to pick-up a Mesa 20/20 and the Furman someday:

1. Korg DTR-1000 digital tuner.
2. Engl E530 preamp.
3. TC Electronic G•Major multi-effects unit.
4. Mesa 20/20 power amp.
5. 1U-rackspace drawer unit for picks, strings, etc.
6. Furman power strip/conditioner.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Guitarport.... computer.... good computer speakers with subwoofer. That kills any practice amp ive heard.