yeah like the title states how the hell can i improve my memory

what are some tips you guys use when learning a song?
what do you do when you have patterns that are very similar?
how do you go about learning a song?
how long does it take you to learn a song?

anything that can help me out with this problem since is one of the things that is driving me insane i can learn shorty crappy songs in a matter of seconds (not seconds but fairly prettty quick :p like punk and stuff like that but i hate punk but when it comes to stuff like metallica
and guns and roses it drives me insane since they dont play the same thing over and over and is hard as hell memorizing everything when im about to finish learning the song or anything like that i forget some of the beginning or the middle part or i mix some stuff because of all the variations

any advice,help,experience are appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Smoke weed like every day every 30 minutes.

I think it expands your cerebral function or something.....
Quote by MuffinMan
I hope for a day when circumcised and uncircumcised penises can live together in harmony!

Quote by Kensai
Cowslayer, I recognize you as the Emperor of the universe. I applaud you in your awesomeness.
my band play long 8 min long tracks..we call the sections dumb names like the circle headbang bit or the meshugga section
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
repeat, repeat, repeat. eventually you have it.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Just play the hell out of it.
I have a solo project, where it's just me, also with a few 6-8 minute songs, that don't have much repetition.
I usually remember the versus and how long each section is, let's say this vocal section ends on this riff, and this riff ends on this beat, etc. The piece as a whole. Play it a fww hundred times basically.
I had to play every song about 4 times a day, 3 months straight. Just barely ready to play the first show after that. But I was also learning how to sing and play at the same time, as well as a polyrythm or two in the mix.

Edit: I also name my parts stupid names, helps a lot.

The squealy bit. The bitch part. That one part I played an assload of times to memorize. The gorey part, etc.

Oh. And brain games will help you a lot on the side.
Take a break and do a crossword puzzle, try and calculate how many times you jack off in a year.
etc. etc.
Last edited by zultone at Mar 4, 2008,
Quote by stefan1988
yeah like the title states how the hell can i improve my memory

what are some tips you guys use when learning a song?
what do you do when you have patterns that are very similar?
how do you go about learning a song?
how long does it take you to learn a song?

anything that can help me out with this problem since is one of the things that is driving me insane i can learn shorty crappy songs in a matter of seconds (not seconds but fairly prettty quick :p like punk and stuff like that but i hate punk but when it comes to stuff like metallica
and guns and roses it drives me insane since they dont play the same thing over and over and is hard as hell memorizing everything when im about to finish learning the song or anything like that i forget some of the beginning or the middle part or i mix some stuff because of all the variations

any advice,help,experience are appreciated

Listen to the song over and over. Then play along with it over and over, but really pay attention. Don't let your brain become too idle.
So you ask a serious question: How to improve your memory, then you added the famous "XD" right after the question...

needless to say but I think you're retarded in someway, can't help you kid.
peanuts and beers
Quote by Infatuation
So you ask a serious question: How to improve your memory, then you added the famous "XD" right after the question...

needless to say but I think you're retarded in someway, can't help you kid.

Retarted people are not funny, Infatuation!
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS

needless to say but I think you're retarded in someway, can't help you kid

i cant help it been playing rpg online too much today .

I have a solo project, where it's just me, also with a few 6-8 minute songs, that don't have much repetition.
I usually remember the versus and how long each section is, let's say this vocal section ends on this riff, and this riff ends on this beat, etc. The piece as a whole. Play it a fww hundred times basically.
I had to play every song about 4 times a day, 3 months straight. Just barely ready to play the first show after that. But I was also learning how to sing and play at the same time, as well as a polyrythm or two in the mix.

i know what you mean by that sometimes im able to see that on some songs that it ends on certain beat or that a certain instrument is added then the riff changes but sometimes is hard to hear this kind of thing on songs that are one instrument or two sometimes they dont have that thing that you can use as a reference

at the moment im learning bach minuet in g is a very very simple song to play but there are some parts that sound very very alike that mess the hell out of me

this part sounds alot

|--------------------|-------------------|-0----------0--2---|-3-----------------|
|--3----------0--1---|-3-----------------|------1--3---------|-------------------|
|o------0--2---------|-------0-----0-----|-------------------|-------0-----0-----|
|o-------------------|-------------------|-------------------|-------------------|
|-------------0------|-2-----------------|-3-----------------|-2-----------------|
|--3-----------------|-------------------|-------------------|-------------------|

like this

Q    E  E  E  E     Q     Q     Q       Q    E  E  E  E     Q     Q     Q
|--------------------|-------------------|-0----------0--2---|-3-----------------|
|--3----------0--1---|-3-----------------|------1--3---------|-------------------|
|-------0--2---------|-------0-----0-----|-------------------|-------0-----0-----|
|--------------------|-------------------|-------------------|-------------------|
|--2-----------------|-------2-----------|-3-----------------|-2-----3--2--0-----|
|--------------------|-3-----------3-----|-------------------|----------------3--|
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff

Quote:

needless to say but I think you're retarded in someway, can't help you kid

i cant help it been playing rpg online too much today .
Quote:

i know what you mean by that sometimes im able to see that on some songs that it ends on certain beat or that a certain instrument is added then the riff changes but sometimes is hard to hear this kind of thing on songs that are one instrument or two sometimes they dont have that thing that you can use as a reference

That's when you get good at counting
One time I forgot where I was at halfway through the 8 minute long song.
That sucked.
Had to wing it a few minutes until the other breakdown
If you just practice it alot, slowly and stuff, your fingers will get used to doing the right thing. Alot of people call it "muscle memory." As for remembering two very similar riffs, get really good at playing each one by itself, and concentrate, making sure that you play only one of them at a time, until you can play either one without thinking about it. Then, when you get to putting it all together, you can focus all of your concentration on making sure you play the right one. Oh, and play along with the actual song so you can get a feel for how it all fits together. And if you screw up, don't just keep playing, rewind and redo that part.
Buy some Ginkgo Biloba. You can get it at most health food places, or Wal-Mart. It increases blood flow to your brain and helps with memory and concentration. It also made me more awake during the day, and helped me remember my dreams more vividly.
Drop another coin in the slot, and I will tell you more...
UNDERSTAND what you're playing.
Learn it, love it, and hheeeaaaaarrrrr it, and you will remember it without trying.
Trying to remember something is the surest way to forget it. Someone smart said that, I forget who.
Licopene helps memory, so that may help if you eat some tomato each day (or something else with licopene.
this is a cool website i found out if anybody wants to play some fun games so you can improve your memory

this is a cool site

http://www.youramazingbrain.org/yourmemory/default.htm#
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
You can buy some from Cnet
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
I know a really good recipe for improving your memory...I dunno if it's any good though, i can't remember.