Page 1 of 6
...and im gonna present in front of my class tomorrow. my essay is about why marijuana should be legalized for recreational and medical purposes. if you feel like reading it, here it is, and i would really appreciate any comments or suggestions:

Hope for Dope
The United States was founded on the principles of protecting the rights of every citizen; a haven for all people to express themselves freely. These rights extend to all people as long as what they do does not hinder anyone else’s rights. The medical and recreational use of marijuana should be a right of all American citizens, as it does not harm the user or anyone else and it has many benefits to our society. The legalization of marijuana would help people in our country morally, medically, and financially. There are very few cons to the legalization of marijuana, (many less than there are for the smoking of cigarettes or consumption of alcohol), and the only reason that it is not legal is because of the great corrupter that is politics. Respected author Charles Cozic said it best when he stated, “Marijuana prohibition causes far more problems than marijuana itself does” (Cozic).
Marijuana has a major part in the history of our country as well as other civilizations around the world. The marijuana plant was originally used for making rope over 10,000 years ago and it was eventually smoked by ancient peoples for its medicinal value. Marijuana as a drug made its first appearance in the United States in the late 1800’s and it was used primarily by lower-class immigrants. Soon many local authorities banned marijuana and in the early 20th century, the federal government launched an anti-marijuana campaign that was based largely on racism and misinformation. Marijuana was banned in every state by 1937, but did not become a federal crime until 1970, under the Controlled Substances Act. This act classified marijuana as a Schedule 1 drug, meaning that it has no medicinal value and has a high potential for addiction, putting marijuana in the same category as heroin and cocaine (Marshall). Since the late 1960’s, marijuana has remained popular with young people despite the government’s “War on Drugs” which has resulted in the arrests of thousands of youth. To this day, the government still classifies marijuana as a Schedule 1 drug and it remains about as popular as ever with young people.
Marijuana has a wide variety of uses for patients in need of a cheap and effective alternative to the pills peddled out by major pharmaceutical companies. Marijuana helps patients with glaucoma, cancer, AIDS and many other diseases, to deal with their symptoms and ease their pain. Many patients swear by the drug and continue to use it even though it is illegal because they have tried all the other options and they have not worked. According to a study conducted by University of Southern California, people who smoke marijuana are less depressed than those who don’t (Denson, Earleywine). Marijuana has even been proven to fight hardened arteries which can lead to heart attacks and high blood pressure, among other things (Above the Ignorance).
The decriminalization of marijuana will lead to an economically richer and more productive society. Every year the government spends billions of dollars on law enforcement to catch marijuana smokers and even more money on supporting these people in jail. This system wastes the time of police officers and ruins the lives of
marijuana smokers. Plus, it’s estimated that millions of dollars worth of marijuana deals go down every year and if this type of action was legal and taxable, then the practice of smoking marijuana would increase and the government could make a very large sum of money off of it. Also, the marijuana, or hemp, plant has a tremendous amount of industrial uses. Hemp, as it was originally called, can be used to make rope, paper, clothes, plastics, food, medicine, oil, and a variety of other goods. Hemp was actually in widespread use throughout the country until the government’s big business sponsored campaign against marijuana in the early 20th century (Above the Ignorance).
Marijuana is a much less harmful drug than alcohol, tobacco, or many other prescription drugs. Alcohol and tobacco are responsible for nearly 450,000 deaths a year while it is virtually impossible to overdose on marijuana and many medical professionals agree, (although it is debatable), that marijuana has no long-term side effects (NORML). Being a Schedule 1 drug, the government labels marijuana as “highly addictive”, even though marijuana is less addictive than tobacco, alcohol, and even caffeine.
Most critics of marijuana point out the studies that show that marijuana is detrimental to health. They also state that marijuana is a gateway drug to other more dangerous drugs. Another argument commonly used against marijuana, is that it impairs one’s judgment and would cause many accidents.
While marijuana critics have valid concerns, their arguments are based more off of government propaganda than actual fact. Most of the studies that “proved” marijuana is harmful to human health were done more than 20 years ago and have since been discredited as scientifically viable. Marijuana is not a gateway drug to harder drugs. Holland, where marijuana was partially legalized in 1970, saw the use of heroin and cocaine decline (Earleywine). Many people that smoke marijuana started out smoking cigarettes, so by a marijuana critic’s logic, cigarettes are a gateway drug too. The idea that marijuana would cause traffic is actually a reasonable concern, but is hypocritical for our society to use this as a reason for prohibiting marijuana. Alcohol impairs one’s judgment much more than marijuana, yet alcohol is still legal. Obviously if marijuana was legalized it should still be a felony to drive under the influence of it, but if you took all of the drunk drivers on the road and replaced them with stoned drivers, there would be less accidents.
I believe that the United States government needs to take a good look at the current marijuana laws in place in our country and around the world. Marijuana has been legalized in registered cafés in the Netherlands and legalized for medical purposes in other countries including Canada. Marijuana should at least become a Schedule 2 drug, so that doctors can prescribe it to patients in need of it. I support the general decriminalization of the drug for recreational and medical purposes for adults, however unlikely this outcome may be.
So why does the government continue to ban marijuana? According to a recent survey by Time magazine, 80% of people support legalizing marijuana for medical purposes (NORML). Isn’t the whole idea of a democracy, that what the majority wants is law? Congressmen have two major reasons to refuse considering reforming marijuana laws. First, marijuana is socially unacceptable, and a Bible-belt senator who voted for marijuana legalization would have a very slim chance for re-election. The American people as a whole are barraged by propaganda media attacks on marijuana (e.g. the “Above the Influence” ad campaign), and marijuana is frowned upon by WASP communities. The second reason Congressmen will not revise marijuana laws is because of the pharmaceutical, alcohol, and big tobacco lobbyists. If marijuana is legalized, these corporations will lose millions of customers to a fair competitor. But, once again, Congressmen decide to protect the big corporations paying for their vacations over the people they are sworn to serve. If nothing else, the struggle to legalize marijuana is a shining example of how the simple idea of democracy is fettered by politics.

Works Cited

Above the Ignorance. 2007. Above the Ignorance. 24 February 2008
<http://www.abovetheignorance.org>.
Cozic, Charles P. “There Is No Youth Marijuana Crisis.” 1998.
Gale Opposing Viewpoints. Gale Databases. 20 Feb. 2008 <http://galegroup.com>.
Denson, Thomas and Mitch Earleywine. “Decreased Depression In Marijuana Users.”
Addictive Behaviours, Volume 31, Issue 4. April 2006. Pages: 738-742.
Earleywine, Mitch. “Marijuana Is Not a Gateway Drug.” 23 April 2003.
Gale Opposing Viewpoints. Gale Databases. 19 Feb. 2008 <http://galegroup.com>.
Marshall, Patrick. “Marijuana Laws.” 11 Feb. 2005. CQ Researcher. CQ Press. 19 Feb. 2008 <http://librarycqpress.com>.
NORML. NORML- National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.
19 Feb. 2008 <www.norml.com>.

im kind of worried that my teacher is going to think im a pot head, but whatever.
F E N D E R american stratocaster

Uncle Leo of the Seinfeld Avatar Club
if it sucks and you get an F on it you can smoke it.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
You should smoke it when you get it back.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
well
i can tell you one thing about it
its long and hard
to read
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Dude your'e a ****ing idiot, dope is dangerous, they proved that, it kills your brain cells and is ten times more likely to give you lung cnacer than tobacco
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
i think it was a well written essay but with the moral standerds of people today it wont be legalized
#4 of fender armada WOOTWOOT
Quote by Boogie Man
Dude your'e a ****ing idiot, dope is dangerous, they proved that, it kills your brain cells and is ten times more likely to give you lung cnacer than tobacco

They also proved that you're full of government propaganda.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
Quote by Boogie Man

ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Quote by lateraluspiral
if it sucks and you get an F on it you can smoke it.

hahahahahaha....................get a life.
haha this is what makes me just rofl

as it does not harm the user or anyone else and it has many benefits to our society.

WTF are you talking about, weed is terrible for you.
Quote by Bayonetwork
They also proved that you're full of government propaganda.

The dread drug Marihuana, in which lurks.... Insanity! Murder! Death!

In regards to the article I disagree with your argument to legalize Marijuana. If it's legalized, the government will be able to regulate it. I just want it decriminalized.

Edit: Wait I'm confused. Do you want it legalized or decriminalized? They are not the same thing.
Quote by Vermintide
I love getting hit in the balls.

Sometimes, I masturbate while imagining my girlfriend is ramming her knee up into my precious orbs. It turns me on so much.

Actually, that's not true. I don't have a girlfriend
Last edited by shakes23 at Mar 4, 2008,
Quote by Boogie Man

are you a moron? is that crap spewing from you why they prescribe weed for some cancers. is that why alcohol is proven to be much more dangerous, addictive, and actually proven.

anything you are claiming has been proven, has been disproven in another study, nothing definate has ever been found about the claims of pot.
Quote by Boogie Man

this made me lol
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
"The medical and recreational use of marijuana should be a right of all American citizens, as it does not harm the user or anyone else and it has many benefits to our society."

Does not harm anyone else? How about all of the car accidents that it causes every year...hell, there are at least 3 or 4 around here every school yea; and like at least 15 that I know of every summer.
Quote by Boogie Man

are you serious?
Quote by Boogie Man

wheres your source? and who is "they"?
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by devin_g94
hahahahahaha....................get a life.

rofl rofl rofl. what?
Cut your hair, hippie.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
You should smoke a j before hand and add at the end, "And i just gave this presentation whilst baked, which proves you can still function normally on it". Definative evidence.
The idea that would cause traffic is actually a reasonable concern, but is hypocritical

Wait... what? Once I stopped to read this, it does make you look like a stoner...
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Quote by Boogie Man

source?

Quote by JewMasatFlex
"The medical and recreational use of marijuana should be a right of all American citizens, as it does not harm the user or anyone else and it has many benefits to our society."

Does not harm anyone else? How about all of the car accidents that it causes every year...hell, there are at least 3 or 4 around here every school yea; and like at least 15 that I know of every summer.

you might find this interesting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3zou4F00Ic
Marijuana has killed exactly one person to my knowledge. he was trying to light his pipe while driving...

he'd have died anyway, he didn't have much brains to begin with.

hope it goes well. someone did this last year, the teacher kicked him out, the principal came back with him having a conversation about how it should be legalized.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by lateraluspiral
are you serious?

Yes, and just so everyone knows that was an independently funded study, and on a personal note, and I'm not saying this proves anything, but two of my friends started smoking marijuana and they've both been diagnosed with scizophrenia.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by JewMasatFlex

Marijuana doesn't cause the accidents, stupid people thinking they can drive while fried cause accidents.
Quote by ratmblink123
Wait... what? Once I stopped to read this, it does make you look like a stoner...

damn i thought i proofread

"The idea that marijuana would cause traffic is actually a reasonable concern,"

You forgot the word "accidents," your English teacher will be like OMG -1.
Quote by shakes23
The dread drug Marihuana, in which lurks.... Insanity! Murder! Death!

In regards to the article I disagree with your argument to legalize Marijuana. If it's legalized, the government will be able to regulate it. I just want it decriminalized.

Edit: Wait I'm confused. Do you want it legalized or decriminalized? They are not the same thing.

i thoguht it was the same thing. whats the difference?

Sounds good to me, not really any obvious flaws in your logic (lol logic). A+, although you shouldn't expect that.
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
Quote by Boogie Man
Yes, and just so everyone knows that was an independently funded study, and on a personal note, and I'm not saying this proves anything, but two of my friends started smoking marijuana and they've both been diagnosed with scizophrenia.

i doubt their schizophrenia was caused my marijuana.
rather have stoned drivers than drunk drivers? there just as bad.
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
Quote by Boogie Man

no, it's been shown to have no correlation with lung cancer.

A joint deposits up to ten times as much tar as a cigarette, but average cigarette smokers smoke more than 10 times as many cigarettes as marijuana smokers smoke joints over a given period of time.

To TS, I'd suggest some reorganization of your paper. Early on, while describing the history, you end a paragraph by explaining the law's approach to the dangers of marijuana. You should put your paragraphs about the actual effects immediately after that to be more effective.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
The teacher may be concerned that you are smokin pot
But hey, they can't prove it so no worries.. right?
I agree that it should be decriminalized
and I believe that Marijuana wont kill you, as long as you controll it instead of it controlling you.
How many people have you heard that died from 'smoking too much pot'?
sure, the whole inhaling smoke part wouldnt be great for you, but I mean, tobacco is legal and it kills millions each year.
call me Shelby