I'm not sure but from what I've read on these forums, if i'm understanding them right, he may be wrong. He took musical theory in college so I do trust him but here's the question.

Basically he taught me all the modes, 3 notes per string form. Now he told me if i was playing in the key of G and i was to play the dorian mode I would play G dorian which would be the 2nd degree of the ionian so I would start on A. Is this correct? Or is he wrong?
The Dorian scale just begins on the second degree of the scale, using the same notes. So you would be playing the A Dorian scale, which begins on A and continues through the notes of the G major scale.

G Major/Ionian (same notes, but not exactly the same concept):
G A B C D E F#

A Dorian:
A B C D E F# G

G Dorian would be based off the F major scale because it's the second degree of F. So G Dorian would be this:
G A Bb C D E F

Therefore, you want A Dorian and not G Dorian.
Quote by :-D
The Dorian scale just begins on the second degree of the scale, using the same notes. So you would be playing the A Dorian scale, which begins on A and continues through the notes of the G major scale.

G Major/Ionian (same notes, but not exactly the same concept):
G A B C D E F#

A Dorian:
A B C D E F# G

G Dorian would be based off the F major scale because it's the second degree of F. So G Dorian would be this:
G A Bb C D E F

Therefore, you want A Dorian and not G Dorian.

I mean to say A dorian. So therefore he would be correct right?
Yes, A dorian would be correct. This confused the hell out of me at first too.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer