o no!

i was recently playing a show and i noticed another bands guitarist had a marshall bottom part (please excuse my lack of terminology knowledge) but instead of the head (not sure if thats what you call it but the place where i plug in my guitar) being Marshall it was line 6.

can i replace the top part? get a better tone? please!?

please teach me and suggest a good head to get
thanks!
Okay, I'll save you the embarrasment
Bottom = Cab(s)
Top = Head

If you replace the head it'll be the biggest change to your tone (in myopinion) from a box of orgified bees to something hopefully tighter
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
how far have people come that a person that actually owns a head and a cab do not know what they are
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Yes, you can mix and match heads and cabs to your heart's content. I'd start with something with neither 'Marshall' nor 'Line 6' on it. Like a 6505.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
okay
head. cab.
got it

i need good head
how much do they tend to cost - i only spent 200 on the amp (used) so im not going to be too pissed if i have to match that in head price

side question: is the cab pretty much just like a speaker and not much to do with tone and just really does the whole volume thing?
Quote by Otsugua713
how far have people come that a person that actually owns a head and a cab do not know what they are

im sorry.
i guess you were just born knowing that stuff. my bad dude!
^ heads can be pretty expensive what do you play?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
You've been here for over two years and don't know that?

Start getting up into the $800 range to get some good amp heads
yeah sell both the head and cab and save up and get a tube combo amp. trust me.
Quote by jojobeasty
im sorry.

yes i was

or at least i know WHAT im buying
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by jojobeasty
im sorry.

He's just saying that you bought something, and didn't even know what it was.
It's like buying this thing that has four wheels and a thing that goes vroom in it and then a year later finding out it's called a car.

$200 isn't going to get you much at all, unfortunately. Maybe a Randall G3 series, used as well.
ye.. i just play guitar. i get suckered into salesmen sweet talk

800 for a good head. o jeez

i play everything - im in a jam band and we really do cover the spectrum. reggae bluegrass rock my friend even raps/beatboxes in a song
Quote by jojobeasty
okay
head. cab.
got it

i need good head
how much do they tend to cost - i only spent 200 on the amp (used) so im not going to be too pissed if i have to match that in head price

side question: is the cab pretty much just like a speaker and not much to do with tone and just really does the whole volume thing?

No. The cab actually doesn't determine volume at all. The # of watts in the head will sound just as loud through a 30 watt speaker as it will through a 200 watt speaker. Bigger cabs (more speakers) will make the sound 'fuller' in many people's opinions, but not louder.
And also, changing the head will make a much bigger difference in tone than changing the cab, but any head you get for $200 won't be an improvement. There's no point in selling crap to buy crap.
I suggest you start saving up money right now, until you get at about $200. Then, sell your whole amp for about $200. Then, buy a peavey valveking 112 combo amp. For your styles I think it would be the best amp in your pricerange. tube too.
Quote by Otsugua713

hahaha
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by ketiov
He's just saying that you bought something, and didn't even know what it was.
It's like buying this thing that has four wheels and a thing that goes vroom in it and then a year later finding out it's called a car.

$200 isn't going to get you much at all, unfortunately. Maybe a Randall G3 series, used as well.

For $250 or $300 he could be looking at a used windsor. You know you can probably sell that MG head for $200 and then you would have $400 to work with.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.