Page 1 of 15
I Have another "underrated" thread here I would like to start. I like to give credit to unappreciated guitarists whose work on the guitar is amazing yet not recognized. And by doing these threads we can read and learn from each other and help each other discover something/someone that can change our view on rock as it is.

(1) Randy Rhoads - He died at a very young age and never really had the chance to be what he could have one day been

(2) Synyster Gates - Avenged Sevenfolds lead guitar. maybe one day he will be recognized as great, but as of now he is just recognized as "good".

(3) John Paul Jones - I know he is realized as Led Zeppelin's bassist, but if you ever get a chance, look at some of his vids on youtube or something. The man is a brilliant musician.

(4) Steve Vai - Simply Amazing.
When The Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, that is when the world will be at peace --Jimi Hendrix

The roads of hell are paved with good intentions
Larry Lalonde from Primus. I realize it's really hard to get recognized when you're in a band with Les Claypool, but he is badass.
i don't really agree with randy just because people rate him very highly, but i think Jake E. Lee is amazing and very underrated
o yeah steve vai is underrated pfft
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
randy rhoads and steve vai arent underrated...both of them would be in the top 25 of greatest guitarists of all time

i would say maybe John 5 off the top of my head
~ Purchase your tickets; I'm kicking your crosses down ~
Rob Beech - Winger
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Quote by zeppelin_freak0
I Have another "underrated" thread here I would like to start. I like to give credit to unappreciated guitarists whose work on the guitar is amazing yet not recognized. And by doing these threads we can read and learn from each other and help each other discover something/someone that can change our view on rock as it is.

(1) Randy Rhoads - He died at a very young age and never really had the chance to be what he could have one day been

(2) Synyster Gates - Avenged Sevenfolds lead guitar. maybe one day he will be recognized as great, but as of now he is just recognized as "good".

(3) John Paul Jones - I know he is realized as Led Zeppelin's bassist, but if you ever get a chance, look at some of his vids on youtube or something. The man is a brilliant musician.

(4) Steve Vai - Simply Amazing.

OH god please..
i would say malcom young, definitely agree with bradley form sublime, and andy larouque from king diamond
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not
Casey Crescenzo, former lead guitarist from The Receiving End of Sirens and current guitarist of The Dear Hunter.

The two guitarists from Circa Survive (their names escape me at the moment.) they are both excellent at creating lush textures in their music...
Michael Amott - One of the last of the kind of guitarists that don't depend on a ****ing Floyd Rose.His style is so amazing and original and his riffs are IMO ground breaking.There is just something about him that makes him so great.He always has great work in ever single band he was in from Carcass to Arch Enemy.
Syn would be really great, but I think he needs to ditch the rest of A7x to do it. I think they're basically at the end of their game. Now they have a small mainstream approval, but they've basically lost all the meta(core)lheads respect since their first album (which was really good) waking the fallen. I honestly think if he ever wants to be more than a "poser" (doesn't matter if he is or not, if people say he is then it may as well be true), he needs to pick a genre (rock, metal. CHOOSE NOW) and he needs to stick to it.

I think he has potential, I just think the rest of avenged sevenfold (except for maybe their drummer) is going pretty dry. He's gonna have to abandon ship before he gets that "poser" label gets put on him or EH, UR CAREER = MAJOR FACEPALM

But that's just my view point, feel free to agree, disagree, etc.

I think a really under rated guitarist is Batio. I mean I know a lot of people don't like him (DEE, BECUS U KAN PLAY DA TWOSES GUITARZ AT ONCE WE HATE UZZ!), but you have to admire him. I mean he is dead accurate, most of his songs are VERY technical, and they sound the same, EVERY TIME. Idk, I think he is really good, or at least his immense devotion to our art should be admired.

EDIT: Someone said John5, Idk, personally I don't like him (at all) but I think he is decently rated, IMO he isn't anything special (NOT SAYING I AM BETTER THAN HIM)

2ND EDIT: OMG just thought of an extremely underrated guitarist! Roope from CoB (he play's rhythm) is really good IMO but then again it is gonna be hard not to be shown up when you have Alexi on stage with you lol

Also in 2ND edit, I worded it wrong, didn't mean to say Batio was under rated, meant to say he was probably the most hated on. My bad It's getting late for me lol.
Last edited by edusty2010 at Mar 4, 2008,
I'd say Alex Lifeson- an amazing guitarist because he is just overshadowed by Neil Peart and Geddy Lee... poor guy
Quote by edusty2010
Syn would be really great, but I think he needs to ditch the rest of A7x to do it. I think they're basically at the end of their game. Now they have a small mainstream approval, but they've basically lost all the meta(core)lheads respect since their first album (which was really good) waking the fallen. I honestly think if he ever wants to be more than a "poser" (doesn't matter if he is or not, if people say he is then it may as well be true), he needs to pick a genre (rock, metal. CHOOSE NOW) and he needs to stick to it.

I think he has potential, I just think the rest of avenged sevenfold (except for maybe their drummer) is going pretty dry. He's gonna have to abandon ship before he gets that "poser" label gets put on him or EH, UR CAREER = MAJOR FACEPALM

I think a really under rated guitarist is Batio. I mean I know a lot of people don't like him (DEE, BECUS U KAN PLAY DA TWOSES GUITARZ AT ONCE WE HATE UZZ!), but you have to admire him. I mean he is dead accurate, most of his songs are VERY technical, and they sound the same, EVERY TIME. Idk, I think he is really good, or at least his immense devotion to our art should be admired.

Dude he is proclaimed the fastest shredder in the world? and most guitarists know his name? If you have the label "the fastest shredder in the world than you must be known".
None of those guitarists you mentioned are underrated..

To answer the question: Vinni Reilly, J Mascis & Tom Verlaine.
Last edited by Marsbe at Mar 4, 2008,
John Petrucci. I think he is more of ignored by some and under the radar than underrated because of his style. As a technical guitarist, JP is as much that as you can get, I mean, watch his psycho exercises on YouTube.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by The User Name
Dude he is proclaimed the fastest shredder in the world? and most guitarists know his name? If you have the label "the fastest shredder in the world than you must be known".

He is, but my point was exactly that he wasn't the most underrated, but seriously there are Emo bands that have less haters than him. Go to youtube, and look at the comments on like 5 videos, and like 1/3 people will be saying he's **** because he's "sloppy".
Last edited by edusty2010 at Mar 4, 2008,
Quote by edusty2010
He is, but my point was exactly that he was the most underrated, but seriously there are Emo bands that have less haters than him. Go to youtube, and look at the comments on like 5 videos, and like 1/3 people will be saying he's **** because he's "sloppy".

Dude it is called jealousy.
Neil Schon from Journey. Amazing guitar player but he was always overshadowed by Steve Perry's vocals.
I second the Alex Lifeson. Sure, he's been on the cover of magazines, etc, but there always seems to be some kind of cloud over the articles. He's a very strong ryth. guitarists who does not get the respect he should. The man occupies 1/3 of a band. I think The Edge from U-2 is right there as well. Same issue, occupying 1/3 of a bands sound (Bono is mostly a singer).
Quote by Coldspiders13
Casey Crescenzo, former lead guitarist from The Receiving End of Sirens and current guitarist of The Dear Hunter.

The two guitarists from Circa Survive (their names escape me at the moment.) they are both excellent at creating lush textures in their music...

circa survive is amazing and is my favorite modern band by far. i couldn't agree more with what you said. while they may not be the fastest shredders or create insane, timeless solos, what they do in the context of the band is amazing.

Quote by edusty2010

i also totally agree.
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Last edited by bigreno at Mar 5, 2008,
Alvin Lee is hugely underrated.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Fredrick Thorendahl from Meshuggah

John5

Dan and Pin from SikTh
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
Bodenhamer modded Maxon OD808
Marshall DSL 401 Combo
Mesa/Boogie F-50 w/ Marshall TSL 2x12 cab
John Christ could use a little more attention. He's a talented guitarist...By no means a Stratwizard, but a decent musician all the same.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
any love for ralph macchio? (the karate kid) he defeated Vai in a duel in the 80's movie crossroads
Quote by plucky duck
any love for ralph macchio? (the karate kid) he defeated Vai in a duel in the 80's movie crossroads

That wasn't him playing... although I have to give Vai the commendation for putting his ego aside long enough to pretend to lose a guitar battle to a small boy faking licks.
Rhoads is underated!
MY GEAR

Ibanez Af105 (JIZZ )
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone les paul standard
Fender frontman 212r
Yamaha p85

Coheed and cambria: Welcome home - what a song
and more......
I'm a little confused.... every guitarist you've mention is heralded by most guitar players as being very well accomplished (maybe not Gates...thats prob a grey area). Do you mean under-rated in a more commercial sense? I mean Vai is anything but under-rated but on a global music scale as a working musician I'd agree he's pretty bottom shelf in the eyes of the entire musical audience
Leo Kottke, Lightnin' Hopkins, Skip James, John Fahey, Mississippi John Hurt, Django Reinhardt (Django's not necessarily underrated per-se, but he's ignored by the majority of the guitar population)
Uli Jon Roth and Chris Broderick (Megadeth/Nevermore) are in my opinion the most underrated
guitarrists (Watch Chris´s Videos on Youtube).
Gear:
Ibanez RG 350 DX Bk
Squier Bullet Strat
Les Paul Copy
Fender FM 15G
Fender Roc Pro 1000
Digitech RP 50
Arion Distortion
Behringer Hellbabe Wah
Uhm, yeah TS...none of them are underrated.

Mine isn't super underrated, but, Guthrie Govan
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory