hey guys, i have a spider III 75, i heard that if you mod it and cover up the back of the amp it gets great low end, is this true? and will it cause any damage? thanks.
hm. well lets start with this. modding any AMP will usually make it sound better. but modding a LINE6 SPIDER will just make it sound the same. do you know why? because line6's are terrible peices of crap that are impossible to make sound good. buy a new amp, buy an mg for christs sake, anythings better than a spider.

SHUN THE SPIDER!
i dont need any bashing, its all i can afford until the summer when i get a job. when i have the money i will buy a good tube amp.
Quote by tr00 punx 666
hm. well lets start with this. modding any AMP will usually make it sound better. but modding a LINE6 SPIDER will just make it sound the same. do you know why? because line6's are terrible peices of crap that are impossible to make sound good. buy a new amp, buy an mg for christs sake, anythings better than a spider.

SHUN THE SPIDER!

you think that response really helps him?
that was a waste of typing.

i have no experience in this, just clicked to see the responses...although i imagine it would allow less sound to escape, so it'd be more full...but idk why, just kinda how i'd imagine it.
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
Quote by tr00 punx 666

SHUN THE SPIDER!

I don't believe you helped him at all just there.
He asked a question, not for you to have a little heart attack over his gear, something, may I add, that you have no business with in the first place.

I wish I could help you, OP, but I have no idea.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
I wouldn't cover the back of the amp.. The best thing to do would be to experiment with positioning...

All amps are affected by placement... how far the back is from a wall, or if an amp is in a corner versus in the middle of the room. All of these things affect the sound characteristics.

If you put the back a few inches away from a wall, directly on the ground, or in a corner, you usually get a fuller low end. That's why covering the back works, I just don't think that's really good for the amp...

raising it off the ground and placing it in the middle of a room produces a tighter high end perception and less low end.....etc. etc.

As far as modding it, I've had a lot of fun modding a lot of my gear, just not an amp.. If you are willing to possibly ruin it, or have the ability to replace it if things go wrong, I say give it a try...... But I think that modeling amps would be pretty difficult and tricky to mod....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Mar 5, 2008,
Boss Metal zone....

It is really good at ballancing out the equalization to your taste.
I used one with a spider..It will give you Thunder..

you can edit the *High* *low* *mid* and *middle*

You want to add some weight to those palm mutes ...correct?
that will do it..
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Boss Metal zone....

It is really good at ballancing out the equalization to your taste.
I used one with a spider..It will give you Thunder..

you can edit the *High* *low* *mid* and *middle*

You want to add some weight to those palm mutes ...correct?
that will do it..

oh really? whenever i try pedals with my spider it sounds horrid, i put it on clean and put the pedal on but i just cant get it to make a halfway descent sound. its like the settings for the clean channel are covering it up or something. it just sounds really dull. it was a boss DS-2 that i was testing. i know its not made for metal but i was just trying pedals out.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
Last edited by JustinT80 at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by JustinT80
oh really? whenever i try pedals with my spider it sounds horrid, i put it on clean and put the pedal on but i just cant get it to make a halfway descent sound. its like the settings for the clean channel are covering it up or something. it just sounds really dull. it was a boss DS-2 that i was testing. i know its not made for metal but i was just trying pedals out.

Oh yeah..that Super overdrive will not sound that great on top of the modeling ..
Spiders really dislike overdrives and distortion pedals and they usually only take
away from the sound...

however...the Metal zone is not used on a clean channel...you pick your favorite
preset and turn down the distortion..now its simply an equalizer with a gain
boost...

and about your comment...i agree..on clean..the spider does not have a real
sound of its own...but can be good for recording..getting that kranked sound
at low volumes...the sustain and the pinch harmonics are a little weak..but they
can get u by just fine...
oh ok, im guessing thats how they got this sound out of the 15 wat? says they are using the metal zone, and the spider 15, i have a hard time believing thats the 15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gfYQ9pGai4

EDIT: actually i just realized it sounds better because it was 2 of them playing at once, i think that added to it.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
Last edited by JustinT80 at Mar 5, 2008,
Also...that Dimeback Razor has some HOT pups!!! borrow a metal zone
if you can and turn that distortion down to zero..and pump up the lows
while dropping everything else until you like it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ug3DWa_PY

spider/ boss sd-1 combo
so the super overdrive pedal doesnt conflict like the DS-2?
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
the key is that...if you want to use the overdrive with the spider..
you gotta keep it really low..if you crank it..it will sound like it is
fighting with the amp. You just find the sound you want to start
out with and then..you turn on the overdrive..just barely. You dont
want it to start clipping..you just want to bring the tone out a bit.
The *Wylde Overdrive* sound rediculous with the spider. Dont even
go there..its just wayyyyy to hot..

The metal zone will be able to add gain...and...
add/subtract ...mids..lows..and highs..

Ive never used a Ds-2...but it looks like its almost as hot as the
wylde overdrive...
so to you is the metal zone pedal worth the money? does it really add much ?
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
The Metal Zone pedal is pretty good.. I just didn't like the Nasaly mids and something about it didn't give me the tone I quite wanted, so I modded it with the Monte Allums kit and it's an absolute beast of a pedal now... One of my favorites..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Its really good...go to your local shop and hook up the metal zone to a
spider...find your favorite channel...turn on the pedal..drop the highs
lower than the bass...leave the mids in the neutral position..they wont
even change..the metal zone is really good for tweaking the spider presets
I don't really understand this. Why do that when you can adjust the EQ on the amp itself for the presets and save it the way you like it?
Quote by M Power
I don't really understand this. Why do that when you can adjust the EQ on the amp itself for the presets and save it the way you like it?

Its no prob..The spider series can be kind of trebly..The palm mutes can sometimes
be a little weak. Sometimes the favorite channels need a little bit of tweaking that
is beyond the spiders design. Thats where the Metal zone kicks in. To add more
Bass to those palm mutes and gain to those palm mutes..to go from Iron Maiden
to headbanger mosh pit frenzy

to make a long story short..even with the knobs..sometimes the palm mutes just dont
have enough @$$ behind them