Page 1 of 2
Alright so, the thing is. Looking to a peavy valveking, i effing love the distortion and gain on it...it sounds so..NATURAL. GAWD. YOu may note that this is a guy thats had a mg15 for a year now...but then i was also playing it with a js...could be the pickups that added to that sound, but i hope not. For you guys with valve kings please tell me its not so! Anyways im looking into it, and is the 112 and the 212 essentially the same thing, except different wattage? Do they all have the same switches, presence, and eq on it? Or are they slightly different in ways?
<--- Satch?
yeah, the 112 and 212 are the same other than in speaker number, and overall wattage. The valveking is a good cheap amp for rock to metal. Not too much else though, so don't expect amazing cleans. It is a decent amp, but you will want to upgrade pretty soon after getting it to something like a mesa or 6505 or carvin V3 or something for better gain and distortion. Don't expect it to be your last amp, is all I'm saying.
There all slightly different...

Main thing is wattage, one extra speaker and one has a presence/resonance switch the other full blown controls. And thats pretty much it...

Specs below....

Features
100 watts (rms) into 16, 8, or 4 ohms (switchable)

Four 6L6GC and three 12AX7 tubes

Two independent footswitchable channels

Separate EQ for each channel

Footswitchable gain/volume boost on lead channel

Dual paralleled speaker jacks

Two 12 inch ValveKing speakers

Reverb with level control

Buffered effects liip

Resonance and presence controls

New Texture variable Class A simulation control (patent pending)

50 watts (rms) into 16 ohms

Two 6L6GC and three 12AX7 tubes

Two independent footswitchable channels

Separate EQ for each channel

Footswitchable gain/volume boost on lead channel

External speaker capability

12 inch ValveKing speaker

Reverb with level control

Buffered effects loop

Resonance switch for "tight or loose" cabinet response

New Texture variable Class A simulation control (patent pending)
If you have been playing with a mg15 your whole life, the Valveking will blow your head off and have babies with your neighbour.

It's an awesome upgrade from the MG, to say the least.
yah..because im looking for a new amp, but when i played it, it sounded incredible to me. Maybe because ive literall been playing only SS for the 2 years ive been playing, but i love the distortion. Are the cleans really that bad? Because while i do love the distortion on it, i also want good cleans on it.
<--- Satch?
Actually, I am really pleased with the cleans. Great range, the VK has. Just takes some tweaking.
Quote by StratoHamster
yah..because im looking for a new amp, but when i played it, it sounded incredible to me. Maybe because ive literall been playing only SS for the 2 years ive been playing, but i love the distortion. Are the cleans really that bad? Because while i do love the distortion on it, i also want good cleans on it.

Cleans are good but the speaker might be holding you back... Usually first thing people do is change the speaker and you good to go... I love the cleans in mine. Only thing that really sucks is the reverb, but i almost never use reverb so it doesnt matter to me much... It's one of the most versatile amps i have played. But for the cash i spent its well worth it... I spent $423.20 for the 100 watt head version out the door for a brand new at guitar center... I can't complain and i dont think many others can when it comes to this amp for the price... Smokes everything out there right now when it comes to metal...
if you aren't playing too heavy/distorted lead, then you could also check out the palomino. it has beautiful cleans and can get pretty gainy, but i wouldn't recommend it for metal or anything.
do you guys think i should go for the 212? Because, although it seems unpractical that i may actually need that many watts besides gigs, etc. The 212 is like 100 more bucks, which is no problem to lower at Guitar Center. :] But it seems like the 212 has 3 channels rather than 2, thats a plus!
<--- Satch?
dude how do i quote stuff, cus im quoting one of the most persuasive comments ever, that possible may have gotten me settled on the valve king. I should try the palamino next time to, but i love the valve king. its been a while so my ears could have coped, but all i remember was when i hit the switch, and started improving on G3's smoke on the water.
Damn. I just creamed my pants.
<--- Satch?
Quote by StratoHamster
do you guys think i should go for the 212? Because, although it seems unpractical that i may actually need that many watts besides gigs, etc. The 212 is like 100 more bucks, which is no problem to lower at Guitar Center. :] But it seems like the 212 has 3 channels rather than 2, thats a plus!

I would go with the 212 just incase you need it and more so becasue of the resonance/presence controls. Its not a 3rd channel it just lets you have alot more control of your amp and it makes a huge difference when it comes to versatility on this amp...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Cleans are good but the speaker might be holding you back... Usually first thing people do is change the speaker and you good to go... I love the cleans in mine. Only thing that really sucks is the reverb, but i almost never use reverb so it doesnt matter to me much... It's one of the most versatile amps i have played. But for the cash i spent its well worth it... I spent $423.20 for the 100 watt head version out the door for a brand new at guitar center... I can't complain and i dont think many others can when it comes to this amp for the price... Smokes everything out there right now when it comes to metal...

For the price possibly but overall...
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Nah, 100watts is way more than you need. Seriously, the 50w will get you over drums and hearable in a band very easily.
but i really liked this presence control. Im sure thats what made the most of that tone i liked from the amp. Is presence somewhat make your highs sound a little thicker?
<--- Satch?
You could always buy a pedal to help with presence and other knobs.
Quote by soul_power
For the price possibly but overall...

Ummmm why would you bypass " I can't complain and i dont think many others can when it comes to this amp for the price... " and just highlight the part that states smokes everything... then quote what i said as your own... Dont be a Douche dude...
yah..but imo i think it sounds best naturally on the amp..unless you can direct me to some really good ones. I may not be the best amphead, but i have my fair share of pedals.
<--- Satch?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Ummmm why would you bypass " I can't complain and i dont think many others can when it comes to this amp for the price... " and just highlight the part that states smokes everything... then quote what i said as your own... Dont be a Douche dude...

I didn't mean to come off like that in fact I agreed with you and said that it probably was for the price but its definitely not the best amp for metal overall. Maybe you should read it before criticizing
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by StratoHamster
yah..but imo i think it sounds best naturally on the amp..unless you can direct me to some really good ones. I may not be the best amphead, but i have my fair share of pedals.

Only pedal you need is a good Overdrive... and your set... Theres also some crappy sound test's i threw up on my profile for people if you want to check them out...
Well, it's up to you really. If you have the money for a 212, and think you really want it, go for it man! You probably won't regret it.

I just really doubt a time will come when you have to use so much wattage... unless you wanna blow your eardrums.
true. So can i just have like a small poll i guess who would pick the 212 over the 112? Or vice versa? And does anyone know if you can plug 2 guitars into the amp?
<--- Satch?
Quote by soul_power
I didn't mean to come off like that in fact I agreed with you and said that it probably was for the price but its definitely not the best amp for metal overall. Maybe you should read it before criticizing

Yea, maybe were both off in our thinking lol

Heres what i was stating
"I can't complain and i dont think many others can when it comes to this amp for the price... Smokes everything out there right now when it comes to metal..."

Meaning for the price any other amp in the 500 dollar range this thing blows them out of the water. I can see how you could have miss read it and think i was meaning any amp but come on common sense man lol
Keep in mind that you'd also want to practice in your bedroom. That amp wont sound the same at volume 1 or 2, as compared to fully blasted in a rehearsal studio or gig.
Quote by fafinaf
Keep in mind that you'd also want to practice in your bedroom. That amp wont sound the same at volume 1 or 2, as compared to fully blasted in a rehearsal studio or gig.

Thats a moot point, no amp does...
i realize that it wont sound overdriven at 1 or 2, but neither will the 50 watt.
shoot. Im torn between the 2. What would you guys pick honestly. Thanks ibanez psycho, great stuff. The distortion i heard from the combo amp compared to your head running through the stack sounds a lot different..does anyone know if it allows like dual inputs or something for 2 guitars?
<--- Satch?
Quote by StratoHamster
i realize that it wont sound overdriven at 1 or 2, but neither will the 50 watt.
shoot. Im torn between the 2. What would you guys pick honestly. Thanks ibanez psycho, great stuff. The distortion i heard from the combo amp compared to your head running through the stack sounds a lot different..does anyone know if it allows like dual inputs or something for 2 guitars?

Its all due to eq settings, pickups and speakers. And thats all prefrence stuff... Thats the good thing about this amp you can set it up to your liking.
Wait, if im not mistaken does the valve king allow 2 guitars to be plugged into it? Thats a big plus if it does.
<--- Satch?
it CAN have it but its not ment to have two guitars plugged ion. It has a low gain input and a high gain input.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
awright..i think im settled on the 212, but not 100 percent sure. If you guys can tell me anything, personal experience like ibanezpsycho, if you OWN one, any side comments at all or even stories relating to this amp, can you guys tell me?
<--- Satch?
100 watts is enough to make you deaf, literally. 50 watts is more than enough. Buy the 112 and use the money saved for an OD pedal.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by StratoHamster
awright..i think im settled on the 212, but not 100 percent sure. If you guys can tell me anything, personal experience like ibanezpsycho, if you OWN one, any side comments at all or even stories relating to this amp, can you guys tell me?

212 is the truth!!!!
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
yah but darkness, i also like the presence control on it. I havent had much time to fiddle around with it mind you, but i also had enough sense to realize how much the presence affected my treble. I could be wrong, but isnt that what it does? Because after i raised the presence my highs sounded fatter and the JS i was playing could really scream.
And a lot of people here are saying that the presence really helps the amp and its versatility.

maybe you can convince me more towards the 112?
<--- Satch?
Have you tried the new Bugera amps? Because I believe they're about that level in price. If you can, check them out at a store or something. If not, the Valveking is good I guess.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I'm getting the valveking 112. I chose it over the 212 for 2 reasons: Price. I don't want to spend unnecessary money. But the main reason is that when I played the 212 in the store, it was simply too loud. Have you played the 212? At about 3/4 of the way to THE FIRST DOT, I was starting to feel a bit embarrassed about playing so loudly in the store. Seriously, you do not need a 100w tube amp. I feel the 212 might be the better amp for bigger gigs, but the 112 will be more than sufficient for practicing and recording.

As to your question on the presence control, I don't think it would make that big of a difference. The other knob that's on the 212 but not the 112 seemed to do absolutely nothing.
You can get an EQ pedal which would effectively do that same thing. That or an OD pedal, which is why i recommended it. Plus 100 watts really is too much unless you gig very, very frequently. (Even then I'd still suggest 50 watts)
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
You can get an EQ pedal which would effectively do that same thing. That or an OD pedal, which is why i recommended it. Plus 100 watts really is too much unless you gig very, very frequently. (Even then I'd still suggest 50 watts)

Overdrive pedals actually have a dual function, they tighten up the sound quite a bit when it comes to playing metal and also drives the tubes harder from the level increase. A EQ pedal is a good buy to shape your tone or to be used as a lead booster, but as a make shift OD its not really the same....
I never said that an EQ pedal is a make shift OD pedal. I just recommended both for use when he gets his peavey valveking 112 (212 is too much).
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
VK112 (+O.D Pedal/Speaker Swap) > VK212

You may also want to check out "The ONLY Valveking Thread" on here. Just type it in search.
The 112 so much cheaper to mod also, which you could do with the saved money. New speakers, tubes, od, and eq will the vk a formidable amp. I own the 212 and just cranked to 3 on the lead channel and it already shakes the walls 112 is all u need i say. With the 212 youll never hit that sweet spot of overdriven tubes, and i mean never unless you wanna be deaf. So 112 FTW
Page 1 of 2