hello everyone
i'm new to guitar and so i downloaded some of Pick N grin's lessons(think most of you know about him..)
in his first video, a window appeared saying
"This is a I-IV-V pattern"
can someone please help me and tell me about what this means
any help would be much appreciated
thanks
Yan
Well, in brief, a scale is made up of notes, so if you're playing in a certain key (ie E), the I, IV and V refer to the first, fourth and fifth notes of the scale. So in E the chord progression is E (I), A (IV), B (V)

Incidently, I IV V is the classic 12 bar blues progression, which IIRC pick n grin covers in another lesson pretty well!
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Each scale has 8 notes, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, the I and V are just roman numerals each one matches a note of the scale. The I IV V tells you the root note of each chord you should play in the progression. So if the pattern is in Cmaj you would play the 1st 4th and 5th notes of the C maj scale as root notes of the chords, or Cmaj, Fmaj, Gmaj.

As for the 12 bar blues the progression isn't just I IV V, thats only 3 bars :P

12 bar blues is as follows

I I I I
IV IV I I
V IV I I

Each numeral is one chord and one measure.
If you want nice progression, take I, IV, V and then a minor VI in any key. A lot of rock songs are based on this formula.
uh... i'm really confused now. what do you mean by ROOT NOTE? btw does scale mean partition reading?? really confused. sorry to bother you guys. i'm real newbie
thx for your help
You should do some reading on basic music theory - it's a little much to go into on a bulliten board.

Basically a scale is an arrangement of notes. The "first" note, denotes the "key" for any given scale. For the key of C, for example, your I, IV, V would be:

I - C
IV - F
V - G

If you want to throw a minor chord in there, go with VI, or A - make it minor - Am

Those chords will all "go" together.

For the Key of D, it would be D, G and A with a Bm as your minor....
Last edited by FlatLander at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by Ashbory4

As for the 12 bar blues the progression isn't just I IV V, thats only 3 bars :P

12 bar blues is as follows

I I I I
IV IV I I
V IV I I

ROFL no sh*t, dude! What I meant was I IV V are the chords used in the progression, not that it went I to IV to V. lmao..
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
You should do some reading on basic music theory - it's a little much to go into on a bulliten board.

Agreed. Check out some of the lessons here on UG or google "Beginner-music-theory" or "Learning-music-theory" or something like that. If you still have questions, then youre probably better off posting in the musician talk forum.
thx for your help everyone. think i've understand it better now. thx