So I've used Super Slinkies for a while now, and I just recently bought a 15" speaker amp. And well, though the Super Slinkies aren't exactly light-gauge enough to negate having a 15-incher, it still made me think about changing to Regulars, or maybe Hybrids since I like the thought of the dynamic highs vs. lows...

So this all brings us to the question - of all the Slinkies, which gauge do you prefer? Stylistic preferences are a given - I'd like to know who likes which and why.

By the way, of course, if you don't use Ernies, then you may give your input on string gauge nonetheless. However: this is NOT an open invitation to flame Slinkies if you happen to like something else. Be more constructive with your feedback.

And... BEGIN.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Last edited by WhyLater at Mar 5, 2008,
I used Power Slinky 5's when I was a pick player, if that helps at all. I've since switched to primarily fingers and Roto, if that helps.

String gauge has an impact on volume, not frequency. Thinner gauge strings don't give higher notes (unless tuned so). Your 15 will play the same EADG frequencies, regardless of string gauge. The difference is, some may seem a bit louder than others.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Oh yeah, I figured that thinner gauge would put more emphasis on high frequencies and thicker gauge on low frequencies? Which would be like why your 0 on the G-string has a lot more overtone sound to it then your 10 on the A? Am I just retarded?

Anyway, I'm a cleanfinger guy myself.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Quote by WhyLater
So I've used Super Slinkies for a while now, and I just recently bought a 15" speaker amp. And well, though the Super Slinkies aren't exactly light-gauge enough to negate having a 15-incher, it still made me think about changing to Regulars, or maybe Hybrids since I like the thought of the dynamic highs vs. lows...

So this all brings us to the question - of all the Slinkies, which gauge do you prefer? Stylistic preferences are a given - I'd like to know who likes which and why.

By the way, of course, if you don't use Ernies, then you may give your input on string gauge nonetheless. However: this is NOT an open invitation to flame Slinkies if you happen to like something else. Be more constructive with your criticism.

And... BEGIN.

Is that a Flight of the Conchords reference? If so,

EDIT: Nvm. In FotC, it's "Be more constructive with your feedback." You can still get the though.

Anyways, regardless of what brand strings I buy, I usually like to have them slightly heavier than standard gauge. Can't remember the actual numbers, but yeah. I like having that extra tension on the strings, because I have a fairly heavy attack when I play.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Is that a Flight of the Conchords reference? If so,

EDIT: Nvm. In FotC, it's "Be more constructive with your feedback." You can still get the though.

Anyways, regardless of what brand strings I buy, I usually like to have them slightly heavier than standard gauge. Can't remember the actual numbers, but yeah. I like having that extra tension on the strings, because I have a fairly heavy attack when I play.

DANG it, I couldn't remember if it was feedback or criticism. And... edit.

And yeah, back in my noob days I thought I was USING slightly heavier strings, because I was using Super Slinkies. Thought, y'know, Super... thicker... something. Good thing the truth dawned on me after I got my grip nice and strong.

Good spot on the Flight of the Concords, by the way.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Last edited by WhyLater at Mar 5, 2008,
I think gauges really depend on how you attack the strings, as well as if you tune down or whatever. However, I believe that Geddy Lee uses standard gauge strings, and he attacks them pretty damn hard...
i like the lights that come in the pink package. they make slap alot of fun, and fingerpicking pretty cool too.
Too cool for a signature.
i use daddario(the are cheap and i dont have money)
but i tried basses with other strings and the fender strings(super bass 7250 or something like that) feel really nice
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
When I was using EBs, I used the hybrids on the AccuBass and the supers on the Ibanez.

Since I used the Ibanez to slap more, the thinner strings were much better for slap.
I've been using the power slinkies for about 6 months and they are pretty nice but REALLY high tension in standard tuning. Plus adjusting the truss rod after you put them on is kind of a bitch.

So yeah I would stay away from the power slinkies unless you tune down...regulars should be fine.
Have you thought about stainless steel strings? They're generally brighter (read: more highs, which I know you're looking for), although I'm not sure if EB makes them.

I use Regular Slinkies (I think) on my Spector. They're pretty tight, but I like that.
Ernie ball does make steels, although IMO not in good gauges (like no 5-string sets).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
sorry, i don't use EB strings. i use Rotosound Swing Bass 66's, 45-105. i've used nickel for the past few years, but recently purchased Steels, i'v only had them on a week, so i'm still in the "trial" period, for determining wheather i like them better than Nickel.
standard gauge is all i have ever bought. "if it aint broke." lol
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Mar 5, 2008,
Thanks for your feedback and honesty, guys. I really would like to give steels a shot eventually...

For now, my next move is going to be switching out with either Regulars or Hyrbrids... I really think my attack on my low strings is way harsher than my attack on my high strings [nod to Charlatan_001]. These Supers are more dull than my German professor, anyway.

Here here!
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder