I wanna put a floyd rose trem on my MIM strat. Will I have to do any modifications?
why waste a strat on a floyd rose? :p

you would have to route out the tremolo cavity because the floyd rose tremolo is larger than the fender vintage.
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickup
Epi Les Paul SH-2/SH-11
Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass II Bridge & Custom Shop '69 Pickups
Fender P-Bass w/ Basslines 1/4lb. pickup
Ibanez GSR200
Fender Bassman 150
youre sir, are a retard. Not everything in this world revolves around ESP's and LTD's
<--- Satch?
Quote by StratoHamster
youre sir, are a retard. Not everything in this world revolves around ESP's and LTD's

Not at all. Strats are nice guitars, by all means. I was merely being facetious, but seriously.
A $200 bridge for a $350 guitar seems a bit outrageous to me.

And no, the world does not revolve around strats either, Mr. Stratohamster.
well $200 on a new bridge is cheaper than buying a new $400+ guitar with a FR. its up to the person's choice. i've put $200+ of work into my $400 telecaster by adding vintage noiseless pups and a bigsby tremolo. my friend has added well over $700 into his strat that originally cost $400 (3 different sets of pickups, tbx tone control, built-in mid-boost, new neck).
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickup
Epi Les Paul SH-2/SH-11
Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass II Bridge & Custom Shop '69 Pickups
Fender P-Bass w/ Basslines 1/4lb. pickup
Ibanez GSR200
Fender Bassman 150
I don't really see the point..
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
i realize that. Why NOT use a $200 bridge on a $350 guitar? Funny enough you should mention that word, ironically enough it was on my SAT list hw today. I'm sorry for overreacting. Im just sick of people degrading strats simply because they're either mainstream, or because their favorite guitar idol doesn't use one.
<--- Satch?
by all means i love ibanez's. Despite my name i believe my new guitar will either be a S470dxqm, or something of that sort. Zr tremelos are awesome. WOuld it be outrageous to have one of THOSE on a strat?
<--- Satch?
Quote by AA00P
Not at all. Strats are nice guitars, by all means. I was merely being facetious, but seriously.
A $200 bridge for a $350 guitar seems a bit outrageous to me.

And no, the world does not revolve around strats either, Mr. Stratohamster.

Where you getting a fender strat for $350? I must know.....
If you do attempt to do this make sure to put a reinforced piece of wood near the strip that separates the electronic cavity and the bridge routing, it's very thin and can break very easily with the addition of floyd rose wankage. BTW if you just want dive bombs with it all it really takes is drilling two holes for it's pivot posts to go into.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Not hard at all. You will need a drill that takes bits up to a 1/2". The nut takes an hour with a Dremel and sand paper. And once you do that, you have a Classic Charvel-style super strat. And I've never heard of issues with the wood by the posts breaking unless they are put in crooked or in the wrong spot.
To clear up some things I previesly owned a ltd F-250. I wanted to change things a bit and was looking at some guitars and found a used strat that was practicully new for $250. It didnt have the sound I wanted and I thought the bridge on it was extremely uncomfertable. But with having a desenct $250 guitar to work with that I can change anything on it, I didnt think it was a bad deal. Guitar bodies alone usually cost more than that. And after putting a few things in it exactley how I want it, I think I'll have a nice guitar.
if you want floyd rose versatility and you are up for the modding i would say go for it
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
I'm assumign half these posts are filled with "don't do it, it costs like £10000 to get a routing done" and "Strats aren't metawl!!" so I didn't read properly so if this has been said I apologise.

You have the routing already done for you. The only problem is there isn't much pull up using the routing you already have, though many people have just dropped an OFR into their two point/vintage tremolo route, it still works, in fact in some cases I prefer it. On strats I much prefer the ability to only go down, no Idea why, it's probably cos I like my strats solid as a rock so anchoring the bridge to the body (whilst still allowing push down) and having some decent tuners and a lock nut will make it survive a nuclear war!

However if you want to route for more access you could do it yourself if you have had some experiance or take it to a luthier, shouldn't cost much, I know a guy who'd do it for under £100.
Fender actually make a strat with a floyd. I'll try and find it in a mo

You can just drop a floyd into a strat, with a bit of drilling so the posts will fit in and some minor changes to the pickguard, as its bigger than a standard tremelo.
The problem is, you can't do any any pull ups really, unless there is some routing done behind it, which can be done by you, not advised if you don't know what your doing though

I quite like floyds on strats, iron maiden use them, don't forget if you do it, you'll have to change the nit for a locking nut aswell. Its a fair bit of work to do.
I dont wanna be able to pull up on the floyd. So in that in mind all I will have to do is drill holes for the pivot points, and make room for the pickguard? Their is a bunch of screws on my tremelo in front of my saddles. are these screw holes going to get in the way of the pivot points of a floyd?
Quote by StratoHamster
i realize that. Why NOT use a $200 bridge on a $350 guitar? Funny enough you should mention that word, ironically enough it was on my SAT list hw today. I'm sorry for overreacting. Im just sick of people degrading strats simply because they're either mainstream, or because their favorite guitar idol doesn't use one.

lol. You win.
man go for it its a really good idea, i have a fender strat with a floyd & it is one of my favorite guitars, the six holes wont get in the way of the floyd studs.