Page 1 of 2
hi all, no sure where to put this so mods move as you wish.

now me and my mate are thinking of starting a band but with one big problem...we ent got no bassist. there is not one bassist in my school! is it possible without one? he thinks so but im not sure.
Quote by Dillona
NME: OMFG DEY HAZ TIGHT JEENZ N MESSY HAIRZ!

LETS COVER THEM IN OUR MAGAZINE FOR THE NEXT THREE MONTHS! .

Metallica 08.07.07
Do you have a friend who is interested in music? Try and convince them how good you think they'll be at base. Tell them how to play lame root notes, and tell them that they are so awesome and that they are naturals. They'll want to stay in the band then, and you've got some more presence to your songs.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Hm, it might sound kinda bad.

Try and find a keyboardist, that should work.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
The Black Keys do fine without
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
It can work but it's better to have a bassist. Try to post some adds for a bassist on UG and other websites like http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/
Quote by killedbyaspork
because there is also a gibson squire, and they don't want to get them confused
it's possible but it won't sound the same as any other sounds.
bass is weird (im a bass player myself) for some bands you can't hear it when it's playing, but when it's not there you feel like the bands missing something.
sincewhen??

Quote by Mannypedraza
Today, me and my gf went to the movies. During, i put my hand down her shorts.
I keep smelling my hand as of now....anything wrong with me?
teh pronz
There's this little band......

I think they're called the White Stripes?

Personally, I don't think it'll sound great. The sound will be pretty flat and empty.

But then again, I'm a bassist, so I'm more than a little biased!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
The Doors had no bassist.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Quote by LEPIV

They have a pretty empty sound tbh.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Duh, Just play brootal metal, and drop tune a seven string to E.

No need for a bass player.

Kidding.

Keyboardist or fail.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by CORT noob

sure they have an empty sound if you have an empty head
Ibanez RG350ex
Quote by CORT noob

Manzarek played bass on a fender rhodes keyboard, I think they had a pretty killer sound
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by bono_b
sure they have an empty sound if you have an empty head

Hey, I like the Doors, the sound quality just isn't the best.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

they're gonna suck live
Quote by DrkNTwstd
darkangel, you are a smart man. no flame shield is necessary.

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
why don't you jest get a guitarist whose ego isn't as big as the population of china to play bass. I'm sure they will say yes
Quote by METAL MILITIA1
why don't you jest get a guitarist whose ego isn't as big as the population of china to play bass. I'm sure they will say yes

yeah, like Paul McCartney
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Bass helps fill on the low register that'll be lost if you only have guitars. Seriously, it's amazingly better with a bass.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by soulflyV
Fail. Wolfmother has a bassist and he plays keyboard as well.

Oh really? My bad then. All the songs I've seen them do he was playing keyboard ^_^
Just get some person to learn bass, if you keep it simple and let them progress it is destined to work. My school has tonnes of bassists and most of them only started this year.
Start one anyway and try and get a bassist later on.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I saw a local metalcore band last year which only had two guitarists but no bassist. As much as I despise metalcore, I have to admit that they're sound was good. Not only decent, but actually good. So I say give it a try and see if it works for you.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 5, 2008,
It is possible.. Yes
Does it sound crap.. YES!! (eg. White Stripes)
I wouldnt touch you... even with a 20 ft pole

:stickpoke :stickpoke :stickpoke
Quote by LEPIV

All albums were done with a session bassist.

Live the keyboard played the bass parts.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
What the Black Keys and the White Stripes do is they just play guitar, but they EQ their sound with more bass on the guitar, so it helps to round out the tone.
The medium is the message!
It can work, but it all depends on the music you play. I was drumming in a band for awhile with just me and a friend on acoustic guitar who also sang. We played a very strange folkish type almost rock.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by sincewhen??
it's possible but it won't sound the same as any other sounds.
bass is weird (im a bass player myself) for some bands you can't hear it when it's playing, but when it's not there you feel like the bands missing something.

In my opinion bass can have to roles. for one it can act as a bridge between the music, make it sound whole. Secondly it can have a more prodominant role in the music 'soup.' I'm sure you could have a band with out 1. it all depends what music it is
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
How many bassists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

None, the keyboardist can do it with his left hand!

That being said, there's no substitute for a bass. Just because you don't know any bassists in your school doesn't mean there aren't any. Besides, who said you can only pick people from your school?
Dickless.
Yeah, bass is key. It sounds way better if you have a bass. You can do it without one, but then you'll sound like Pig Destroyer.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
you'll want a bass player to give your sound some foundation and a backbone. i'm in the same position though, which sucks.
My mates are in a metal band without a bassist (cos I refused to join :p) but it works. For their recordings one of the guitarists plays bass and they dub it in, but they sound alright live with no bass. Yeah, I'd say it's possible unless it's like a Chilis tribute band or something...
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Just use the tuning EoDM uses, it's some blues-based thing that provides a bass signature with the guitar.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Page 1 of 2