Are there any hc/punk guitarists who don't use humbuckers? I am asking this cos' I may be joining a hardcorish band as 2nd guitarist (think DRI meets Slapshot) and my Ovation Viper has single coil pick ups, which is great for punk and garage but I don't know if it will sound great in the band.
I am not sure if this is helpfull but I know that Yngwie Malmsteen and Iron Maiden use single coil pickups.
One of the dudes from Poison the Well uses a telecaster, (according to Crafter haha).
Quote by lachyray
do you reckon straight edge people ever get temped to drink alcahole,
when really want to but they know they can't so they just dont?
Shouldn't really matter if any bands do use single coiled guitars, because if they do they're probably compensating for the weaker tone with really good rig. In short, you would be much better off investing in a guitar with a humbucker.
Quote by hardcorestevo
WTF!!! B for my V is not hardcore. a real hardcore band is when there is nobody trying to get to the front the whole thing is a ****ing mosh pit
SUICIDE SILENCE!!
BMTH!!!
IKTPK!!!!
Hello!?!?!?!
it doesnt matter. you can always thicken up the sound from your amp or distortion or eq pedals.
All of the dudes that use teles in hardcore bands either a. have a mini-humbucker in the bridge or b. have a really fancy rig complete with noise gate that allows them to make it work. 98% of hardcore guitarists use humbuckers and to me at least it is the only way to go.
Quote by TBC Guitarist
Break Even uses Teles.

Really? i've never seen them use teles, one usually uses an sg w/81's and the other uses an lp w/81's. Unless thats changed in the last few months.
Quote by hardcorestevo
WTF!!! B for my V is not hardcore. a real hardcore band is when there is nobody trying to get to the front the whole thing is a ****ing mosh pit
SUICIDE SILENCE!!
BMTH!!!
IKTPK!!!!
Hello!?!?!?!
i know a girl who played hardcore on squier strat and it sounded pretty good with boss ds1 and marshall amp.
but i prefer humbuckers
світ втомився від вас
i prefer humbuckers but it depends on the style like you can get some thin sounds to work if done right and it could be part of what makes your band apart from the rest, its kinda how u use it, but also with single coil u need a heavier set up to project the sound to compete with the bass and drums. its all in how you use and approach it.

'tis life
Quote by Paracetamol
Really? i've never seen them use teles, one usually uses an sg w/81's and the other uses an lp w/81's. Unless thats changed in the last few months.

I saw them about a month ago with Carpathian and both guitarists were using Teles, and they both looked stock. I have seen them use the guitars you mentioned, but maybe they changed to Teles for the direction their sound is heading in.
I might look into the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster. It seems to be what I am after. Anyone have any experiences with it?
it'll be fine if you wanna be "HARDCORE" then just use what you have, hardcore isn't about all this nice equipment and tight pants and fashionable bands, its about getting together with friends and playing some ****ing fast ass music and having fun, not about who has the biggest gauges or coolest band shirts. every day i hate this damn scene more and more since lame **** scene kids hijacked the term hardcore and used it to describe their drab boring lame generic ****ty metalcore.

anyways, enough of my rambling, your guitar is fine for what you wanna play. if anyone tells you otherwise, punch them in the face. i played a les paul junior in a hardcore band for a long time and it was great.
^Woah random rant. All I was asking were some examples of hardcore guitarists using s/coil pups. I personally love the tone I have at the moment but the reason I am posting this is because the other guitarist has the completely different set up to me, i.e. high gain amp, jackson guitar so I was concerned that my low gain set up might not keep up with his.
Quote by radio_schizo
^Woah random rant. All I was asking were some examples of hardcore guitarists using s/coil pups. I personally love the tone I have at the moment but the reason I am posting this is because the other guitarist has the completely different set up to me, i.e. high gain amp, jackson guitar so I was concerned that my low gain set up might not keep up with his.

i find two different guitar sounds combine really well. what amp are you using?
He uses a Jackson guitar through a Marshall Mode 4. So a very high gain set up. I will see how it sounds with my set up btu I've gotta feeling my sound will be drowned out.