i just started listening to some. so far i've downloaded:
-Piano concerto No. 5 in E flat major (beethoven)
-egmont overture (Beethoven)
-Moonlight sonata (beethoven)
-Mozarts 7th symphony
-Canon (Pachelbel)
-Spring (Vivaldi's four seasons)

and new suggestions of composers or pieces or songs, or whatever they're called, im new to classical. what they're called would be good top. :P
Babajanian, Sibelius, Monteverdi, Handel, Tchaikovsky, Zappa, and Mahler are my most listened at the moment. try to look into the colleges near you for aspiring composers. i've found some interesting acts coming from the tri-state area.

'tis life
carolan, paganini, tarrega, chopin, bach, BRAHMS HELLZ YEAH. BRAHMS IN DA HOUSE. No, seriously check out brahms hungarian dances.
Chopin , Rachmaninoff, Liszt, Keiko Abe, Adams, Antheil, Albeniz, Alkan, Arnold, Babbitt, Bach (all of them), Balakirev, Barber, Bartok, Beethoven, Berg, Berio, Berlioz, Bizet, Borodin, Boulez, Bozza, Brahms, Britten, Bruckner, John Cage, Copland, Corelli, Corigliano, Creston, George Crumb, Debussy, Donzetti, Druckman, Dun, Dukas, Durufle, Dvorak, Elgar, Ewazen, de Falla, Faure, Ferneyhough, Finnissy, Franck, Gabrieli, Gershwin, Ginastera, Glass, Glinka, Grieg, Hamelin, Handel, Haydn, Hindemith, Holst, Ibert, Ives, Kapustin, Khachaturian, Kodaly, Ligeti, Mahler, Mendelssohn, Medtner, Messiaen, Milhaud, Monteverdi, Mozart, Mussorgsky, Nielsen, Orff, Arvo Part, Paganini, Paulus, Penderecki, Pergolesi, Persichetti, Polin, Poulenc, Prokofiev, Puccini, Purcell, Ravel, Steve Reich, Rimsky-Korsakov, Rossini, Rutter, Rzewski, Saint-Saens, Scarlatti, Schoenberg, Schubert, Schuman (not SchuMANN, mind you), Schumann, Schwantner, Scriabin, Shostakovich, Sibelius, Smetana, Sorabji, Stockhausen, Richard Strauss (can't stand most Johann), Stravinsky, Takemitsu, Telemann, Tchaikovsky, Vaughan Williams, Verdi, Wagner, Walton, Weber, Webern, Xenakis...just to name a few.

hai guize join mah gr00pz plz kthx:

Last edited by Sanctus Ignis at Mar 23, 2008,
Igor Stravinsky. A mastermind. Listen to The Rite of Spring and be amazed.
Quote by BR00TAL
Igor Stravinsky. A mastermind. Listen to The Rite of Spring and be amazed.
Best orchestral piece ever! His use of counterpoint in the woodwinds in the opening is complete genius.

I can't wait to play timpani in that this summer.

He wasn't around in the classical period, but Philip Glass' fifth string quartet is amazing.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
^ True words! Along that line, check out Steve Reich's "Triple Quartet." The Kronos Quartet did an amazing recording of it. It's in 3 movements, but through-composed.

Quote by Sanctus Ignis
^ True words! Along that line, check out Steve Reich's "Triple Quartet." The Kronos Quartet did an amazing recording of it. It's in 3 movements, but through-composed.

Steve Reich's Piano Phase is worth checking out also but we're getting into minimalism here.
Quote by Sanctus Ignis
Best orchestral piece ever! His use of counterpoint in the woodwinds in the opening is complete genius.

I can't wait to play timpani in that this summer.

It really is. That opening bassoon solo will be forever ingrained into my mind. So beatiful yet simultaneously so dissonant.

Spring Rounds is beautiful, the way the main theme is transformed from a diatonic one into something so chromatic and terrifying towards the end. Genius.

I get very enthusiastic talking about Stravinsky.
Last edited by BR00TAL at Mar 28, 2008,
Stravinsky actually meant for it to be lower, because he originally wanted a nasty sound. However, the bassoonist in the premiere was so good that no nastiness was produced! So he kept writing it higher, but still no nastiness, so finally he was just like "Screw it."

Sibelius' 2nd symphony, I can't tell you how much you need to listen to this.

Dvorak's 7th is alright too

Shostakovich's string quartets are must listens too, his 8th being the most famous.

Bach's organ works are incredible to listen to along with the score, if you have it :p

I know rites of spring has been mentioned. If you like that you could listen to his ballet suite for the firebird. I actually prefer it. Its a little more musically conservative but, whatever. its all good.

Tchaikovsky's violin concerto is amazing too

As is' Mendelssohn's, Sibelius', Glass'

Bruch's is popular but overplayed, as is Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto.

I feel genuinely feel sorry for people who don't listen to classical music. They are denying so much to themselves.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 2.
Its my favorite classical piece.

Also Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini is awesome.
^ Listen to the other 3 concerti. Concerto No. 3 is one of the hardest works around!

I've got the CD with all of his 4 concerto's on it.
I do like Concerto 3 and 4 too.
But i find 2 is the best. Its just very epic!
He actually wrote 5. Wait, does it have the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini? That's the fifth one. It probably does, since those collections usually have all of them.

/anal

I see your point though. The first movement just sends shivers up my spine every time!

The CD i got just has the 4 concertos on it.
It doesn't have the Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini.

Later i saw the CD in a store which had all 4 concertos in it with the Rhapsody.
And yeah i wished i had looked for that one instead of the one i got...
Rhapsody in a theme of Paganini is awesome. Especially the 18th variation (although with all the hype it deserves) is really breath taking!

And i equally like all the 3 movements of the 2nd concerto but the starting of the 1st movement is really intense and epic.
The 3rd concerto is pretty good too. Its very technical and has some mad piano work but i don't find it as intense and melodic as the 2nd concerto. 2nd concerto really is his best work imo. Its just has it all, intensity, emotions. The 2nd movement of the 2nd concerto is just beautifully emotional.
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Apr 2, 2008,
Quote by af_the_fragile
The 3rd concerto is pretty good too. Its very technical and has some mad piano work but i don't find it as intense and melodic as the 2nd concerto. 2nd concerto really is his best work imo. Its just has it all, intensity, emotions. The 2nd movement of the 2nd concerto is just beautifully emotional.
Y'know, you have a solid point there. I think what Rachmaninoff intended for the 3rd concerto is to have some sort of virtuosic showpiece, while earlier his 2nd concerto was all about musicality (in a sense) and how things flow together. I can think of water when I hear it.

Tarrega is brilliant. Im not a classically trained guitarist but Ive learnt most of Capricho Arabe - beautiful piece. I wich I could learn to play Recuerdos de la Alhambra.

Just out of curiosity, to learn the art of Classical Guitar, does one need long nails on the right hand or is there some kind of a substitute you can use?
You should probably give Fur Elise a listen. It's incredibly recognizable.
I'm going to create the procrastination club, just later...
Some of my favs...

Hector Berlioz
Guiseppe Verdi
Karl Böhm
Giovanni Battista Bononcini
Pyotr Tchaikovsky
Richard Wagner
Edgard Varèse
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.