hey guys i'm new to this forum, and been reading up lots of stuff about playing guitar,
and i've just realised that i've never really used a metronome while learning songs, ive also been practising alot of sweeping without metronome, now is that a major mistake or what??

i been playing guitar for around 2 years, but just started playing more seriously past few months, songs i'm learning at the moment for the last couple of days are "selkies" and "alaska" by "between the buried and me", i can play a little of the intro to selkies at 170 but with alaska im at about tempo 100-120 for the first sweeping part (cause thats all ive learned so far)

ok so heres the problem, while playing alaska without the music and just using a metronome at 100, i lose my place strait away, i dont know what the hell im doing, but while using guitar pro and tempo down to 100 i can play it in time great.

so in the end me + metronome = mess.

is this a big problem?
and is there anything that can help me get good with listening and playing with a metronome?
Ibanez rg350ex
pathetic 10 watt amp
some picks
Just start so slow you pretty much can't possibly make a mistake. The whole point of learning with a metronome or a speed trainer is precision and building up that precision. If you can't do it at 100bpm start slower and build up at a pace you feel comfortable with (ie, if adding 5 bpm every time you feel confident with a bit works for you, go ahead, though personally I tend to build up a mere 1 bpm at a time just for perfection's sake :'))
yeah but the thing is i just dont know on what notes im ment to be hitting to the metronome, i think its every 4th, but i just cant really here it and when i try and do it even on slow i still suck
Ibanez rg350ex
pathetic 10 watt amp
some picks
Been a while since I've used a metronome, but typically it ticks off the beat of the measure. So for the typical 4/4 time song, it will click off quarter notes at the tempo you've set it for. Alternatively it can click off a beat every fourth quarter note to define the measure. Or if it was 3/4 time it would be three quarter notes a measure.
oh don't worry i took it back real slow and started again with just the metronome and now i've got the hang of it
Ibanez rg350ex
pathetic 10 watt amp
some picks