I'm looking to go to New York with the missus for her 30th birthday later this year, and I was thinking of buying a guitar while I'm over there.
The prices seem so much cheaper than they are in the UK so I was thinking of making the most of the trip while I'm there.

Does anyone know of a decent guitar store in NY? And if so do they have a website?
Looking at getting an Ibanez. I like the look of the RG2550E or RG2550Z.

Would I be able to sneak it back on the plane if I was to get a hardcase aswell? Either as hand luggage or in the cargo hold?

Hopefully to avoid having to pay import tax on it. Like say it was a present or something

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
mudfrog
Im interested in this as well as this idea has popped into my mind on a number of occasions. Gotta be cheaper with some things to fly to America buy the gear then return all for less than the UK retail price...
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Depends where in New York
if your in the Capital District IE Albany, Drome Sound is a great shop so is Daddy's Junky Music
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Looking to stay perhaps around the central park area. I was looking at the Guitar Center website which looks promising.

Which of there stores would be close to central park?
When your coming back, but lots of stickers on the hardcase and try and rough it up a bit. Just so it doesn't look new. That's how my Uncle managed it.
Good guitar store in NY = 48th Street

Surreal guitar store in NY = Alto Music, Middletown
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by halikus
Im interested in this as well as this idea has popped into my mind on a number of occasions. Gotta be cheaper with some things to fly to America buy the gear then return all for less than the UK retail price...

Deffinitely not. Check your flight prices mate..

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by philjay

Im talking stuff thats £2000+ over here not small fry stuff...Obviously id make a holiday out of it too. Im not going to NY just for a guitar purchase. That would be a bit mad.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by philjay

flights can be very cheap. you can definitely get them for around £300 return if you look hard and can go at off peak times.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Those guitars should come with a hard case. Unless they are used, and the case went missing.

If you are going to be here anyways, it is a good idea. Just flying out to buy the guitar and go home, might not be worth it. You might be able to save a little bit of money, but at the expense of a lot of time.

Check with your return flight company, some places do let you take guitars on as carry on. I do know they make special flight cases for guitars, but they are pretty expensive if the only time it will be on a plane is the return flight. I would look into a bit to find out how best to fly it over.
check out guitar asylum, their website is awesome ! the address is:

Guitar Asylum
451 Route 25A
Miller Place, NY 11764
Quote by Zanon
check out guitar asylum, their website is awesome ! the address is:

Guitar Asylum
451 Route 25A
Miller Place, NY 11764

Guitar Asylum is on Long Island, so you'd need a car (I've looked at public transport, but that's going ot take forever). Also, they're very much an Internet store, meaning most of the inventory isn't on display.

Another Long Island store, but much closer to the city, is the Music Zoo (www.themusiczoo.com).

They don't have Ibanez, but they do have a massive range of Jackson, Charvel, Fender, Gibson, etc. You should check out their custom natural wood range from Charvel; I've tried them and they're incredible.

http://www.themusiczoo.com/Charvel_USA_San_Dimas_NaturalMahogany_TheMusicZoo_C7843.html

That is just one of the many different natural wood customs they have; they all go for about 1700$.

There are the usual Guitar Center and Sam Ash stores, although I very much prefer Sam Ash.

On 48th street (where Sam Ash is) you can find some other shops, too.

Matt Umanov guitars (www.umanovguitars.com) is an awesome place where I bought my RG20th anniversary. They're pretty good in terms of price and the staff is very nice. I'd highly recommend a visit.

One warning, there's a second hand store which advertises as being pretty big (forgot the name, sorry) and they're absolute crap; so don't bother.

There are plenty of nice guitar stores in NY, so flip through the Yellow Pages while you're there, too.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 5, 2008,
I visited Manny's Music which was pretty cool
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Personally, if I was in the US, I'd look at mainly brands that are much cheaper in US than in UK. Ibanez in UK is pretty well priced compared to US, so I'd not bother personally.
Quote by Mwoit
Personally, if I was in the US, I'd look at mainly brands that are much cheaper in US than in UK. Ibanez in UK is pretty well priced compared to US, so I'd not bother personally.

Well, it's still a bit cheaper and if you're there anyway, you might as well take one with you.

Still I'd recommend you to try out the Charvel, it's around 850 pounds and in terms of quality a step ahead of the Ibanez.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 5, 2008,
i was thinking about getting my friend to get me a gibson ES335, i worked out its roughly the price of an epi dot over here lol
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
i was thinking about getting my friend to get me a gibson ES335, i worked out its roughly the price of an epi dot over here lol

That's a bit extreme.

Also, don't forget VAT.

In America, most prices (yes, those on price tags in stores, too) do not have VAT added, meaning this will increae the total.

Now, you can ask for atleast a part of it back at certain airports and such (check online).

Once you're in the UK again, providing you declare the guitar to customs, you need to pay VAT plus an extra fee for importing goods.

So, when bying a guitar, the price will be:

+the listed price
+American VAT/tax
+British VAT/tax
+fee for imported goods

-(a part of) the American tax (again, check this out)
-the British taxes and fees you'll miss by not declaring it

Also, always ask for the case to be put on the receipt separately, even if it comes with the guitar.

This could end up saving you a bit of tax when you have to declare the instrument.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I'm thinking of the idea of getting loads of stickers on the case or if anyone asks say it was a present while I was staying over there to avoid paying import tax.

Naughty I know but if it saves me a few £££ then it's worth it I think.

Thanks again!