I've had my sights set on getting an axe suited for dive bombs, harmonics, tapping etc - in particular I have my eye on a Jackson Dinky DXMG. Obviously they're put together for metalheads - I don't mind metal, but fast blues-based rock is more my thing. And it's got everything I want - locking tremolo, 24 frets, 2 humbuckers, highly playable.... yadda yadda.

Anyway - after replacing the pickups in my Les Paul copy to PAF Dimarzios, I realize the difference great pickups make. I'm really wanting to get a guitar response/sound in the ballpark of Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher" tone from the Dinky. Can anyone make any pickup suggestions?
A variac'd Marshall.

If you want something Van Halenish, get like a hot P.A.F. clone. Something with a lot of bass and midrange. Check out the Dimarzio Super Distortions or if those are too hot, the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I know you want the Jackson, but look into a Peavey Wolfgang with a 5150 half stack, that gets you perfect EVH tone, because thats his rig

I played through one and fell in love. floyd rose, locking nut, 14 fret, really low action from the factory...

only setback is that they stopped making them about 5 years ago when EVH got into it with peavey... so those will run you around 2000 to get a decent one
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Quote by icon_player_5
I know you want the Jackson, but look into a Peavey Wolfgang with a 5150 half stack, that gets you perfect EVH tone, because thats his rig

I played through one and fell in love. floyd rose, locking nut, 14 fret, really low action from the factory...

only setback is that they stopped making them about 5 years ago when EVH got into it with peavey... so those will run you around 2000 to get a decent one

Meh, Van Halen is in the works with Peavey again, so they might reissue the Wolfgang. He could get a Musicman, it's pretty much the same thing anyways.

I could never get a good 'Halen tone out of a 5150. It made me kind of angry.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Super PAF's, eh? I currently own a 70's Japanese lawsuit Les Paul copy with Dimarzio PAF's and although it sounds sublime, I find it's not the best tapping axe. Would this be the guitar or my technique?

I'm running through a MXR GTOD pedal to a JCM 800 and/or Line 6 Flextone III XL
Quote by ravenhaller
Super PAF's, eh? I currently own a 70's Japanese lawsuit Les Paul copy with Dimarzio PAF's and although it sounds sublime, I find it's not the best tapping axe. Would this be the guitar or my technique?

I'm running through a MXR GTOD pedal to a JCM 800 and/or Line 6 Flextone III XL

Could be a bit of both.

Back when I was fresh meat, I had an Epiphone Les Paul with PAF pro sets. I thought they sounded bad and the guitar was crappy so I traded it to my friend for a Jackson. I recently got to play it and it sounded pretty killer. I almost regret trading it. Even still, the Dimarzio PAF pickups aren't anything special. Try the Super Distortion. The tone is totally eighties Van Halen.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Better pickups for Van Halen tones are, in rough descending order of price...

Seymour Duncan '78 Custom model for Evenly Voiced Harmonics
Bare Knuckle VHII
Seymour Duncan Custom Custom
Dimarzio Norton
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
hot rodded pickups with a cranked marshall amp
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
on hot for teacher he used the bridge p/up on full volume for the heavy distortion, then switched to the neck (low volume) for the cleaner bits. therefore you should probably get a guitar with separate volume controls for pickups to properly emulate the sound.

he also had someone fiddle with his amp to make the sound hotter (perhaps a built in attenuator... i forget) but i vaguely recall that this damaged his tubes and he went through them awful quick, so you may want to watch out for that. good luck!
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Quote by xwearesinking
my english teacher is hot..

I once had a really hot music teacher. She never wore a bra.. and sometimes, when she would bend over to grab something from her desk.. the whole class was quiet and gaping. Especially the guys (including me).

Anyway, back on topic..

Try a Super Distortion. That baby makes my crappy SS amp sound decent!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by steven seagull
Better pickups for Van Halen tones are, in rough descending order of price...

Seymour Duncan '78 Custom model for Evenly Voiced Harmonics
Bare Knuckle VHII
Seymour Duncan Custom Custom
Dimarzio Norton

Yup, +1 on the SH-11 Custom Custom and the '78 Custom Shop Model. Also look into the '59 model I believe it is. For a good Marshall tone without breaking the piggy bank look into Orange amps. They do a VERY good job, I'm talking about the tube Orange amps like the Tiny Terror. If you're looking to make your own guitar get either a Northern Ash body (original Frankie) or Basswood (Kramer 5150) and of course a maple neck. The Ernie Ball/Music Man Axis nails the EVH tone very well and they are awesome guitars.

Quote by flambe chicken
on hot for teacher he used the bridge p/up on full volume for the heavy distortion, then switched to the neck (low volume) for the cleaner bits. therefore you should probably get a guitar with separate volume controls for pickups to properly emulate the sound.

Actually no, go on youtube and see him play it live. EVH didn't use a neck pickup at all in the 80's. He just rolled off the volume He didn't have a neck pickup in his guitar until he went to Ernie Ball.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by Kanthras
I once had a really hot music teacher. She never wore a bra.. and sometimes, when she would bend over to grab something from her desk.. the whole class was quiet and gaping. Especially the guys (including me).

Anyway, back on topic..

Try a Super Distortion. That baby makes my crappy SS amp sound decent!

One of the secretaries in the main office is really hot. She just got through being pregnant, and her boods are still huge from it.

As far as the tone goes, all he basically used was a Strat with a PAF in it, then all you need is something that call pull off a decent Marshall sound.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!