Ok guys, I want to write a song with kind of cosmic feeling, and I was wondering if music theory can help me achieve that goal. Basically, I'm asking you what types of chords (major? minor? dimnished?), chord progressions, intervals, effects, techniques etc. can help me to get this cosmic, a bit epic feeling.

Example songs which show what kind of sound I'd like to get are:
* The Great Gig In The Sky by Pink Floyd (intro chord progression on piano, amazing)
* Subterranean Homesick Alien by Radiohead
* Space Dementia by Muse
All of them have this special feeling. I know that incorporating lots of reverb, some phaser, delicate piano lines etc. would help, so I'm mostly interested in more theoretical side of the job.
A major chord followed by a major chord built on the b5th of the first chord has a spacey feel eg. G maj -> Db Maj
AVA has a lot of Space Rock elements, also, The Vines' "SPACESHIP" It's a pretty example of a Space Rock ballad.
you should listen to hopesfall.
and a lot of post-rock/instrumental band also have a very spacry feel to them.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by Eirien
A major chord followed by a major chord built on the b5th of the first chord has a spacey feel eg. G maj -> Db Maj

its the lydian mode
1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
use it with maj, 6th, maj7 and maj9 chords

EDIT: im not sure about the bands you're talking about, but this mode is used alot by the likes of joe satriani, allan holdsworth and derek sherinian to get that modern space age feeling
Last edited by RockFreak000 at Mar 5, 2008,
joe satriani-crushing day
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
try the whole tone scale with some delay. sounds pretty spacey to me....as long as the whole tone scale is the right one i am referring to. with all whole steps.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Well, I don't consider Great Gig to be space-rock....nothing on Dark Side really is, in my opinion.....now, go back before Dark Side, especially pre-1970, and you get some insane stuff....

But, uh, I dunno. In the case of Arnold Layne, it uses entirely major scales and gets this sort of psychedelic feeling just from the chord progression. look into that some, maybe.

Also, well, Rick Wright got a lot of his inspiration from jazz and such. try to get some inspiration from that?
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by RockFreak000
its the lydian mode
1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
use it with maj, 6th, maj7 and maj9 chords

EDIT: im not sure about the bands you're talking about, but this mode is used alot by the likes of joe satriani, allan holdsworth and derek sherinian to get that modern space age feeling

No, you misunderstood what I was saying. I was suggesting using a chord progression going I -> bV (I'm not sure if that's the right way of writing it) like G Major going to Db Major. A progression like that doesn't fit into any mode of the major scale, but it's got a really "spacey" feel to it. I can't think of the names of any examples right now, but that change is used in a lot of space themed classical (little c) music. Play it and you'll see what I mean.