Has anyone here used these? what im wondering is how they sound when you detune? I dont detune often, but when I do the lowest i ever go is Drop C. How will these sound dropped that low? Muddy or sweet?
Alnico 2 magnets so they'd sound appalling.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Weird because seymour duncan site says Dustin from thrice uses them and they do drop c a lot. What would you recommend?
Quote by FarFromDead
Has anyone here used these? what im wondering is how they sound when you detune? I dont detune often, but when I do the lowest i ever go is Drop C. How will these sound dropped that low? Muddy or sweet?

... It's a low output PAF style pickups for old school bucker tone. You're free to use them for metal if you want, but it's probabably not going to be as good as something more modern.

My favorite metal pickups are the Duncan FullShred, Custom and Jazz(bridge). These will take to detuning very well and won't mush up your sound with too much distortion (though the Custom and FullShred are pretty hot).
I was unimpressed with the Pearly Gates altogether. Not bad pickups, but not worthy of the associated hype. It's too much to pay for relatively "run of the mill" PAF knockoffs.

Quote by FarFromDead
Weird because seymour duncan site says Dustin from thrice uses them and they do drop c a lot. What would you recommend?

If you already had an answer to your question, then why did you bother asking?
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Pott
... It's a low output PAF style pickups for old school bucker tone. You're free to use them for metal if you want, but it's probabably not going to be as good as something more modern.

My favorite metal pickups are the Duncan FullShred, Custom and Jazz(bridge). These will take to detuning very well and won't mush up your sound with too much distortion (though the Custom and FullShred are pretty hot).

Duncan custom as in the sh-5?
Yep. It's got a tight low end and doesn't mud up with bass/gain. It'd be a good candidate.

I don't use high output pickups much anymore though, ESPECIALLY for metal. You get your gain from your amp, high output pickups will tend to mush up your tone and take away dynamics.

The Jazz is so far my favorite and I've tried A LOT of pickups for metal. The Jazz just has everything I want: tight low end, loads of harmonics, great note seperation. Don't be fooled by the name.
I'd always go with ceramic or alnico V magnets for drop tuning, alnico 2 is too spongy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Pott
Yep. It's got a tight low end and doesn't mud up with bass/gain. It'd be a good candidate.

I don't use high output pickups much anymore though, ESPECIALLY for metal. You get your gain from your amp, high output pickups will tend to mush up your tone and take away dynamics.

The Jazz is so far my favorite and I've tried A LOT of pickups for metal. The Jazz just has everything I want: tight low end, loads of harmonics, great note seperation. Don't be fooled by the name.

cool, thanks man. Im looking for something with a lot of dynamics and versatility. Im playing a Epi Les Paul Standard, and Thru My DSL 50 half stack, anything lower than drop D sounds muddy and the tone loses its clarity. I just want something I can rock out with, and then get a deeper clearer sound if needed. My Band is playing a lot of stuff along the lines of every time i die. Its not really metal I guess, but more southern Hardcore and I need somethign to solve my clarity problem. It i put a jazz in the bridge pickup, what would you recommend to go with it for the neck position, or 2 jass pickups?
Yeah a jazz neck will be a good match. Though to be honest I have zilch experience with neck pickups, I use single coils, sorry dude.

To fight mud though you often gotta lay off the bass and gain. Thing is in a band environment you'll barely hear your bass anyway, so drop'em off a little. Same for gain. Cut is more important in the end.
Quote by Pott
Yeah a jazz neck will be a good match. Though to be honest I have zilch experience with neck pickups, I use single coils, sorry dude.

To fight mud though you often gotta lay off the bass and gain. Thing is in a band environment you'll barely hear your bass anyway, so drop'em off a little. Same for gain. Cut is more important in the end.

Awesome. SD website recommends a jazz in the neck and an SH5 custom in the bridge. What do ou think that would sound like? Kinda best of both worlds?
Last edited by FarFromDead at Mar 5, 2008,
That's a good, solid combo for modern high gain tones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc