Hi all

I need some decent home recording speakers. I know the best solution is to buy a pair of nice studio monitors, but i dont wanna use that much money.

So a pair of decent speakers, be it Creative labs, Logitech or whatever. Anyone has some good ideas?

I guess 2.1, 5.1, 6.1 etc systems wont do to great in a recording environment? Too much highs/lows too little mids.
I used to use a sharp stereo before i used studio monitors and it worked out alright. the stereo was still a couple hundred bucks (probably just a little less than when i bought monitors), but if you have a stereo already it may be a quick solution.

i've never tried to mix with a 2.1. never had a sub really. i'm just going to guess that those little speakers and then the big one will sound good for music, but won't be able to represent frequencies well for eq'ing tracks.

what is the soundcard/interface you use? there's a big difference between stock sound card and a quality firewire interface in terms of tone, and it may be the direction you want to spend to first
Quote by jomarkdave

what is the soundcard/interface you use? there's a big difference between stock sound card and a quality firewire interface in terms of tone, and it may be the direction you want to spend to first

I have firewire, stereo or 5.1+ ?
smile
No, dave's asking what brand of sound card or audio interface you're using to record. There's actually nothing wrong with mixing with a good 2.1 system, as long as the bass isn't over-represented or you'll end up with a tepid mix.
Hi, thanks for the answers.

Im using my ol' trusty Guitarport, which is a soundcard by itself. I just want some desktop speakers that can represent a relative neutral EQ. Not too bassy, not too trebly... you get the picture.
Not sure what type of equipment you're looking at, or what your budget is, but I have good friend who has a pair of the Rokit KRK RP-5 monitor's. They a sound excellent. They run about $150 each. If you are wanting uncolored sound then go for a set of monitors.

Link to KRK RP-5
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/KRK-RP5-Rokit-Powered-Reference-Studio-Monitor?sku=602312

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Highly recommending Yorkville YSM-1's. Also about $150/ea, as I recall.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
+1 for KRK, although the 5" woofers don't have enough bass imo. BTW, you're looking for a recommendation on a good pair of monitors (or studio monitors).
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!
Quote by Crazy Drummer69
+1 for KRK, although the 5" woofers don't have enough bass imo. BTW, you're looking for a recommendation on a good pair of monitors (or studio monitors).

It's easy enough to add a subwoofer to even out the low end. There's actually nothing wrong checking out the mid to high frequencies.
The YSM-1's have a 6.5" woofer. Bass response is really pretty decent without being exaggerated in the slightest.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
there's some good recommendations here.

bass balance is a good thing for just listening to music, but there's bass tone that can be fake sounding (anything less than ...6 inches isn't great) and there's bass tone that's good.

a good monitor will help you shape the tone of the bass...but on budget all you can do is get what you can and listen to your favorite music on the system to get a good idea of what the speakers are giving you so you'll be used to them for when you're mixing your own stuff.

the guitarport seems like it's pretty good. 24bit converters....yada yada. definitely better than a stock sound card.