Quite a silly question...
I've been fiddling around with my gt-8 for quite a long while now, and I'm never satisfied with the tone.
Whether I'm trying to get an existing artist's tone (alexi Laiho, Zakk Wylde), or trying something new for myself, I'm never happy.

...Is it me, as in, I suck at "sound engineering"...or is it the gt-8, or the SS traynor 100wat combo amp(more or less 20 years old)?

Thank you in adance for any support and advice.
Well, while you may get close to the tones of your favourite artists, you'll never be able to fully replicate valve tones with processors like that. That's why they end up sounding dull or lackluster. I recommend just getting a new amp.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I guess im not the only one. When i was playing thru an old solid state, i used the gt-8. I thought it would make everything sound awesome. How wrong I was. I use it for odds and ends when i record, but not enough to justify how much i spent on it. Only thing i use it for now is a tuner because my other one broke.

Thats one Expensive Tuner.
Would the Traynor also be the cause of...not getting what I want?

What I mean is, I don't seem to have much variety when it comes to distortion, especially when it comes to Metal. An no matter how much I tweak, that one distortion will always sound damn near the same, with barely any difference.

I've heard many good things about Boss over the years, so I have doubt to believe that the gt-8 is to blame. And I wouldn't think that the Traynor would 'cause lack luster tone (even when I'm not trying to mimic and existing artist's tone).
Quote by page.slash
Would the Traynor also be the cause of...not getting what I want?

What I mean is, I don't seem to have much variety when it comes to distortion, especially when it comes to Metal. An no matter how much I tweak, that one distortion will always sound damn near the same, with barely any difference.

I've heard many good things about Boss over the years, so I have doubt to believe that the gt-8 is to blame. And I wouldn't think that the Traynor would 'cause lack luster tone (even when I'm not trying to mimic and existing artist's tone).

The thing is, the gt-8 is basically an amp preamp. Ive heard you get the best of results when you dont use an amp at all with it. I forget what it is called, but you just run it out of some sort of speakers. Others often when live, just plug into the gt-8 and run it straight to the mixing board. I have a marshall dsl50 half stack. When i use my gt-8 with it, either in front of the amp, or in the effects loop... it takes away from my tone. I cant figure out how to fix it and believe me ive tried. All in all im not impressed at all with the gt-8. Your honestly better off with stomp boxes. Analog stomps will always be better than a multi effects unit. I was just as upset with it when i got it.

EDIT: That being said, with enough tweeking of the EQ, anything is possible. Im just more of a plug and play guitarist. I love the gibson sound straight thru a marshall and I dont have enough time to play with the gt8 anymore. (PS I bought the gt8 before the marshall.)
Last edited by FarFromDead at Mar 5, 2008,
^Yeah, that's where I'm pretty much screwed.
I got the gt-8 as a gift from someone. And even when I do get a nice tube amp...I don't have the money to go out and buy anolog pedals.

Would it depend on the style of music being played?
Maybe it isn't so good for one type, but perhaps for my style (metal)..?
Or is it a lost cause?

Sorry for so many questions. I'd just like for the gt-8 to not be a hunk of garbage taking up space at home.
Buy some distortion pedals, put them in the send/recv loop of the GT-8, and turn off the preamp and distortion stompbox. It will sound great.
Quote by page.slash
^Yeah, that's where I'm pretty much screwed.
I got the gt-8 as a gift from someone. And even when I do get a nice tube amp...I don't have the money to go out and buy anolog pedals.

Would it depend on the style of music being played?
Maybe it isn't so good for one type, but perhaps for my style (metal)..?
Or is it a lost cause?

Sorry for so many questions. I'd just like for the gt-8 to not be a hunk of garbage taking up space at home.

Its not a lost cause. The gt-8 CAN be a great unit with enough tweeking. The problem is most people dont have enough time. Especially someone like me who is done school and working full time. Ive heard some people play thru the gt-8 and make it sound great. I dont know much about your amp. It could be the combination of the gt-8, and running thru the traynor amp you have. It could be your guitar aswell. There are soo many factors that effect tone. If your amp has an EQ on it, High, Middle, Low or whatever, you'll likely have to tweek that as well as the EQ on the gt8. It takes time and patients. There used to be an internet site called the Boss GT Central where they had articles on how to set up the gt-8 for optimal preformance. Maybe if you search around you will be able to find it again. I just looked and cant see it. The gt-8 is really not ready to be used fully out of the box. Also there other connection methods to use that can change the tone. Do a Google search of the Gt8 4 cable Method. Any try that. It really is a big trial and error thing, and because it takes soo much time, i was not impressed. I paid $700 for it, and it sits on my floor collecting dust. I cant find anyone who wants to buy it.

Actually I found it
http://www.bossgtcentral.com/

Check this out first
http://www.bossgtcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2946
Last edited by FarFromDead at Mar 5, 2008,