Before you refer me to the "Acoustic and Classical Guitar" forums, please read on. It's very electric guitar related to me

I need you guys' opinion on something.

I've been playing electric guitar since late last Fall. I've been learning a lot of good stuff, ie. tunes and theory. I practice major, minor, pentatonic and blues scales and I made a point to learn alternate picking early. I also do finger exercises to improve my coordination. I like to play blues, rock, metal, speed metal. All this stuff is self taught, mostly from information I get from the Net ... this forum has been a great help too. I haven't taken any lessons yet.

I've been thinking about taking classical guitar lessons. I figure it would teach me proper technique, more scales and how they relate to chords and overll good music theory. I know I'll eventually want to play jazz and finger picking acoustic. My main instrument will still be the electric guitar. I'd probably want a teacher who also plays lead guitar, not just a snooty bow tie wearing dude who sips tea all through the lessons.

Have you guys ever taken classical guitar lessons and what do you think of my "strategy"? Playing classical guitar in itself would be fun, not just a means to and end.
I played classical before I moved to electric. It was about 9 years ago, but I remember it was quite helpful, I can see your thinking, it certainly won't have an adverse effect on your playing.

Why not take one lesson, you can see how you feel about it then.
I think that's what I'll do. Take a few lessons and see how it goes. At that point, I can decide if I want to change to electric guitar lessons, but I really like the classical guitar approach. I just hope I don't grow long nails on my picking hand ... eeek.

Quote by cptcomet
I played classical before I moved to electric. It was about 9 years ago, but I remember it was quite helpful, I can see your thinking, it certainly won't have an adverse effect on your playing.

Why not take one lesson, you can see how you feel about it then.