Amp: Crate BT50, bought new last May from musiciansfriend.

Ive tried 3 different cables and 3 basses.
Squier VM P
Fender MIA Jazz
Fender Deluxe Active P

sound clip

As you can hear the sound is louder when the notes are lower.

This sound started happening randomly a few months ago. I just ignored it. Id unplug everything and leave it alone for awhile. Now its happening and not going away. Should I call musiciansfriend? Should I take it to a local shop?
It's very hard to judge from that soundclip. Have you got a line-out cable for your iPod or something? As far as I recall that amp has a line-in after the pre-amp. If you try playing music through it you should be able to tell if it's having the same problem or not. If music sounds fine through it then it's a problem with the pre-amp, if not it's the power amp or speaker.
Maybe you turned your bass EQ up a lot without noticing? I dunno, the clip didn't tell much other than you need lessons.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
^ Stop being a douchebag.

Are your pickups higher near your E and A strings? You could always try lowering those or perhaps raising the action a bitso the strings aren't as close to the pups.
Quote by smb
It's very hard to judge from that soundclip. Have you got a line-out cable for your iPod or something? As far as I recall that amp has a line-in after the pre-amp. If you try playing music through it you should be able to tell if it's having the same problem or not. If music sounds fine through it then it's a problem with the pre-amp, if not it's the power amp or speaker.

Using my ipod with the line-in sounds fine. I never thought of trying that, thanks

Quote by t3hrav3n
Maybe you turned your bass EQ up a lot without noticing? I dunno, the clip didn't tell much other than you need lessons.

I wasn't playing a damn bass solo just playing notes to show the sound dick head

Quote by JMDavis07
^ Stop being a douchebag.

Are your pickups higher near your E and A strings? You could always try lowering those or perhaps raising the action a bitso the strings aren't as close to the pups.

Ive tried it with 3 different basses so im pretty sure its the amp
Quote by Miss G
Using my ipod with the line-in sounds fine. I never thought of trying that, thanks

Okay...*thinks*

So the power section and the speaker work fine, your basses are fine, your cables are fine therefore it must be a problem with the pre-amp. If I understand you correctly it had this problem intermittently at first and now has this problem all the time, right? I would hazard a guess that it's a dodgy connection in the EQ (maybe a capacitor needs replacing or one of the tone pots) but I don't think I can tell you any more without looking inside.
Ah, sorry. I'm a butthole when I wake up.

Other than the pickups and improper EQing, I can't think of anything it might be. Perhaps it's the Envelope Filter?
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Its all good, I just knew somebody would say something about my actual playing instead of trying to help me out lol. If I wanted to record a bass solo I would, I was just doing different random things trying to demonstrate the evil fuzz

Im 99% sure now that its the amp itself thanks to smbs help. Ill probably take it to the local shop and have them find out whats wrong thing call up musiciansfriend and see if I have some sort of warranty.
I can only agree with what smb said. It has been narrowed down to the preamp ection in your amp, and most likely in the EQ section. This place is riddled with little electronic bits that could fail. Most likely on the bass EQ knob.

Have you tried adjusting the bass on your amp? Did it work as normal?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Does the amp have a compressor on it?
Mabye you've been playing with that all the time, and turned it off without realising.
If it doesn't, then ignore what i said and have the amp serviced

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?