ok i been playing guitar for about a year, and i decided im going to get a good amp, so i can get a good sound to play to. Right now i been using a line six pocket pod hooked to an Alesis spitfire 15, and its not really fullfilling my wants. I play alot of different music, from classic rock to metal, shred metal, and just rock all together mostly. what kind of Amp would be best to get. I want sumthing i can get quite a few good sounds out of. or should i go to get an updated P.O.D. with more effects or what. thnx to who helps
i have about $500 dollars, i want it mostly for band rehearsels and some practicing at home to get how it'll sound when my band plays
Then I recommend a Marshall AVTX50. It's a Hybrid, meaning it has tubes as well as transistors build in, also meaning that it sounds better than a solid state amp, but not as good as a real tube amp. I think I don't really need to explain the sound of a marshall, do I?
Another good choice is the VOX Valvetronix XL50. It's a hybrid too, but also a modeling amp, which means it can simulate different amps, so you can get tons of different sounds out of it.
Both amps are 50w, more than you should need for band practice.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=AVT50X
http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronixxl/ad50vt2-xl.asp
Quote by TheQuailman
Then I recommend a Marshall AVTX50. It's a Hybrid, meaning it has tubes as well as transistors build in, also meaning that it sounds better than a solid state amp, but not as good as a real tube amp. I think I don't really need to explain the sound of a marshall, do I?
Another good choice is the VOX Valvetronix XL50. It's a hybrid too, but also a modeling amp, which means it can simulate different amps, so you can get tons of different sounds out of it.
Both amps are 50w, more than you should need for band practice.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=AVT50X
http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronixxl/ad50vt2-xl.asp

Wow... Someone hasn't been on UG very long. Once you are a member for longer, you'll learn what's good and what isn't.
AVTs you don't want. Ever hear of the MG series? The AVT series are just slightly better. It actually doesn't sound like a marshall at all. A marshall is crunchy and musical, the AVT's are more fizzy and junk.
And the valvetronix, although good for practice, isn't worth 500 bucks when you can get a nice tube combo.

I'd go for a used peavey classic. Either 50 or 30 watts. you'll need an overdrive and high output pickups for shred though. But since you said mostly rock, this'll fit the bill. Has great cleans too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
my kustom 100dfx cost me bout 600$(canadian) and i play blues and rock, couldn't be much more happy with it, i've had it for a while now and only had 1 problem which pressing random buttons seemed to fix. id recomoend it but the best thing you can do is to
Step a: go to music store
B:grave a guitar similar to yours
C:try as many amps as possible
D:choose your favorites and repeat process.
E:try the remaining with a few diffrent guitars
F:repeat process till 1 is left.

Good luck!
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by darkarbiter7
Wow... Someone hasn't been on UG very long. Once you are a member for longer, you'll learn what's good and what isn't.
AVTs you don't want. Ever hear of the MG series? The AVT series are just slightly better. It actually doesn't sound like a marshall at all. A marshall is crunchy and musical, the AVT's are more fizzy and junk.
And the valvetronix, although good for practice, isn't worth 500 bucks when you can get a nice tube combo.

I'd go for a used peavey classic. Either 50 or 30 watts. you'll need an overdrive and high output pickups for shred though. But since you said mostly rock, this'll fit the bill. Has great cleans too.

Well I liked these amps.
And he probably won't be able to get a tube amp for 500$.

Not to offend you, but I am fed up with the tube elitists on this site. I am aware of the fact that a hybrid amp is not as good as a tube amp, but that does not mean hybrid or ss amps are nothing but crap.
That being said, I rather trust my ears to determine what is good and what not, instead of solely relying on a website that is made up of 50% intelligent and experienced people and 50% brain washed morons who haven't played a tube amp yet, but still think they need to tell everybody to buy one.
Classic rock to metal, i think the Marshall hybrid could wokr, vox not so much for the metal -save the metal version-

BUt truely it only matters what you want, try out amps get what you want, pedals can make a differnce as well.

I myself am a tube elitist though, I feel SS amps can be great, but Tubes are just better.

And as for UG, there are some really un educated or biased "expierenced" members

AND

just because your new to UG doesn't mean your new to guitar
Last edited by Krzy8 at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by TheQuailman
Well I liked these amps.
And he probably won't be able to get a tube amp for 500$.

Not to offend you, but I am fed up with the tube elitists on this site. I am aware of the fact that a hybrid amp is not as good as a tube amp, but that does not mean hybrid or ss amps are nothing but crap.
That being said, I rather trust my ears to determine what is good and what not, instead of solely relying on a website that is made up of 50% intelligent and experienced people and 50% brain washed morons who haven't played a tube amp yet, but still think they need to tell everybody to buy one.

ur fedd up with something? u just joined the site ive been here longer than you and i haven't enough time to get fed up with any of the elitists yet. GTFO if your pissed of so easy, anyways, My kustom amp is a SS but the reson tubes are nice is because diffrent guitars sound like night and day through them and theres more overall character between them.
SSs,...nah.
BTW be careful 'bout what you post, UG bites back.
REALLY HARD!
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
ur fedd up with something? u just joined the site ive been here longer than you and i haven't enough time to get fed up with any of the elitists yet. GTFO if your pissed of so easy, anyways, My kustom amp is a SS but the reson tubes are nice is because diffrent guitars sound like night and day through them and theres more overall character between them.
SSs,...nah.
BTW be careful 'bout what you post, UG bites back.
REALLY HARD!

No one cares if youv been here longer then him

there

i just bit back??
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Quote by Krzy8
No one cares if youv been here longer then him

there

i just bit back??

re-read it, u missed the point, i said that even i haven't been here long enough to REALLY get fed up with the elitists,
(im not saying ive been her long just longer than him.)

but w/e.. silly feb 08er's(not you, the Ts is a silly 08'er and the quaildude, mostly the quailguy but W/E)
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
re-read it, u missed the point, i said that even i haven't been here long enough to REALLY get fed up with the elitists,
(im not saying ive been her long just longer than him.)

but w/e.. silly feb 08er's(not you, the Ts is a silly 08'er and the quaildude, mostly the quailguy but W/E)

Just remember you were a Silly Jan 07'er

or and SS's aren't that bad, go buy a LIne 6 VettaII or something its modeling and SS, but i'm damn sure its going to be better then soe cheaper tubes
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Ever heard of the used market?
I got my peavey classic 50 with upgraded tubes for 500 bucks american. And that's the HIGH end of the used price.
The classic 30's can be commonly found for 300 bucks.
I'm not a tube snob, actually, A roland JC is my next amp purchase.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Krzy8

or and SS's aren't that bad, go buy a LIne 6 VettaII or something its modeling and SS, but i'm damn sure its going to be better then soe cheaper tubes

i was a very silly jan 07er
but yes id save up a little more and buy a nice tube and my friend has a line6 spider modling thingy... once you get around the OHHH hear al the fancynoises factor you kinda say eewwww it sounds scary....
catch my drift?
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Krzy8

+1
My instructor has one of those, truely amazing amp.

@Cuddles: I have been reading these forums since I started playing (about 4 years ago) and though I admit that you can get a lot of good advise here, there are lots of people around here who don't do anything but talk sh*t (Not meaning to offend you, just thought I'd make that clear).

Quote by Mr.Cuddles
but yes id save up a little more and buy a nice tube and my friend has a line6 spider modling thingy... once you get around the OHHH hear al the fancynoises factor you kinda say eewwww it sounds scary....
catch my drift?

Well the spiders are mediocre soundwise, but can't be compared to the VettaII. Worlds between them.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
catch my drift?

All Line 6's are modeling and thats true for the lower versions, though I like the bottom end.

but the higher end ones sound decent, though there are better choices for the price.
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Ever heard of the used market?
I got my peavey classic 50 with upgraded tubes for 500 bucks american. And that's the HIGH end of the used price.
The classic 30's can be commonly found for 300 bucks.
I'm not a tube snob, actually, A roland JC is my next amp purchase.

You're lucky if you got a good used amp. I have a hard time finding used tube amps in my area and I don't trust ebay that much. After all, you can't really be sure what condition the amp is in.
But you're right, if ts has the chance to get a good used amp, he should go for it.
Yeh im picking up a used VH100R used with the cab for 900 usd thats damn good if you check the price for them.

Great condition never used, bargained him down, long story short become friends with local store owner, they set used prices as loooow as they want.
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Yeah, go with a local store. That's where I got my C50. I got to try it out and check it's condition.
I never buy on Evilbay. Atleast not for amps.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator