hey guys am i right in thinking that for tapping you basically do a hammer on with your right hand then a pull off off again with the same finger then a pull of with your other finger on your right hand?

also can this be done anywhere on the fret bord or are there certan areas to stick to?
It can be done anywhere on the fretboard.
You can do it with several fingers of your right hand, but that is a highly advanced technique, I recommend you stick to using one finger of the right hand as a beginner.
Tapping is often combined with hammer ons and pull offs played by the left hand.
For examples take a look at any given Van Halen solo.
yea ive looked but i was just asking to make sure that i had the technique correct before i go doing stupid things like braking strings................
^lol, I didn't even notice that.

Here you have an example:

This riff is played by tapping the 12th fret while using the left hand for hammer ons on the 7th and 9th fret.

Hope this helps.
Quote by eruption1988
yea ive looked but i was just asking to make sure that i had the technique correct before i go doing stupid things like braking strings................

not unless you tap with like liek a knife
Quote by stephen_rettie
not unless you tap with like liek a knife

well knowing my luck with strings i might..... seem to go thro strings like theres no tomorrow