I've been trying to determine if the Soldano Hot Rod 50+ and/or the Soldano Avenger sounds like a Soldano SLO. I've read various things:

1. Soldano Hot Rod 50+ and Soldano Avenger have same lead channel circuit.
2. Both are claimed to have the same lead channel circuit as the SLO.
3. Only the SLO has the DeYoung transformers, and only a SLO sounds like a SLO.
4. Some say you can't tell the difference between an Avenger and a SLO, or are very close.
5. Some say you can tell the difference between a Hot Rod 50+ and a SLO.

What's the deal?

P.S. I do know that the "Hot Rod 100" has been rebadged to the "Avenger," so it's likely that the HR50+ and Avenger lead circuits are the same.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Mar 5, 2008,
The HR series lost the effects loop and gained the depth mod (as standard options) to become the Avenger series. I think all of their newer models (excepting the SLO) lost the slave out as a standard option as well.

The bottom line regarding most of the Soldano's is that almost all of them will sound "like" an SLO. To many, if you don't have them in the same room at the same time you won't be able to tell the difference anyway. There is a difference, however, and the universal consensus is that the SLO is superior if only by a slight margin. Most of the price premium of the SLO versus the other models involves the terribly expensive DeYoung transformers and the exceptionally awesome warranty.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Kendall:

Thanks for your comments. If the Soldano Hot Rod 50+ and the Soldano Avenger both really have the exact same lead channel circuit (since the Avenger is really a re-badged Hot Rod 100, less the FX loop, plus the depth mod), I guess the question for me now, is, how close is the HR50+ to the SLO.

I like the lower-Wattage rating of the HR50+, but if I'm not mistaken, both the Avenger and the SLO come with 6L6s, whereas the HR50+ is stocked with EL34s. Can't find an HR50+ anywhere to demo, so I'm relying on third-party opinions from here and elsewhere. Someone on HC (who claimed to have owned both) also made the, "if they're not in the same room," comment, so I'm likely leaning toward the HR50+ now.

P.S. Which Soldano do you own?
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Mar 6, 2008,
The circuit of the Avenger is very similar to the lead channel of the SLO100. Though part of the SLO magic is in the rare and expensive DeYoung transformers, which the Avenger doesn't have. There's also a couple of popular factory mods on most SLO's (Depth mode etc.) which would distance the sound further from something like the Avenger.

IMO the SLO is the best and one of the best amps around.
Last edited by False_God at Mar 6, 2008,
Quote by LEVEL4
Thanks for your comments. If the Soldano Hot Rod 50+ and the Soldano Avenger both really have the exact same lead channel circuit (since the Avenger is really a re-badged Hot Rod 100, less the FX loop, plus the depth mod), I guess the question for me now, is, how close is the HR50+ to the SLO.

A stock HR50+ is VERY similar to the SLO on the overdrive channel, though the clean channel is noticeably dirtier on the HR50+ (more of a crunch channel but cleans up very nicely).

Quote by LEVEL4
I like the lower-Wattage rating of the HR50+, but if I'm not mistaken, both the Avenger and the SLO come with 6L6s, whereas the HR50+ is stocked with EL34s. Can't find an HR50+ anywhere to demo, so I'm relying on third-party opinions from here and elsewhere. Someone on HC (who claimed to have owned both) also made the, "if they're not in the same room," comment, so I'm likely leaning toward the HR50+ now.

Most new Soldano's come with 5881's unless ordered otherwise. As such it's not terribly rare to find EL34 equipped Avengers and SLO's as well as HR50+'s.

Quote by LEVEL4
P.S. Which Soldano do you own?

I presently have a Decatone. Easily the most versatile offering from Soldano.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM