I bought some grove tubes the other day and i was very dissapointed
before i was using for the preamps
1 EHX, 1 JJ, and one grove tube MUllard
and two sovteks for the power amp
i just wanted to know in the end what has more of a say in what your amps sound turns out to be the PRE-amps or the Power amps so i could try to get the same setup i already wsted my cash on the tubes but just for next time
and by the way GROVE TUBES suck so much balls they kill you distortion and leave your clean lifeless and dull
what is that supposed to mean

anyways i saved my distortion by putting back one JJ in there
just one thats all it took
Last edited by purple tiger at Mar 5, 2008,
i personally think the power tubes have more 'say' in your sound. i dont mind grove tubes in my fender but i use 'Winged C' in my Marshall which is essentially Svetlana's they just have a name issue to getting imported to the US or thats what my amp guy says
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by purple tiger
what is that supposed to mean

anyways i saved my distortion by putting back one JJ in there
just one thats all it took

i didn't really contribute to the thread, sorry

what i meant is that i have GT in my fender now and i'm going to get some new (better) tubes so if the GT are really that bad then i'm going to be surprised with my new and improved sound hopefully.
yes, Groove Tubes are that bad. Surprised you didn't know before you bought the damn things.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
yes, Groove Tubes are that bad. Surprised you didn't know before you bought the damn things.

They're not terribble, but they're not the most toneful tubes in the world. They're kinda like the Boss of tubes; well known, well endorsed, but there's usually a better option.

Fun fact: GT just buys loads of Sovtek tubes, tests them, and prints their own logo on them. There are good Sovtek tubes, but there are bad ones too.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
They're not terribble, but they're not the most toneful tubes in the world. They're kinda like the Boss of tubes; well known, well endorsed, but there's usually a better option.

Fun fact: GT just buys loads of Sovtek tubes, tests them, and prints their own logo on them. There are good Sovtek tubes, but there are bad ones too.
I'd agree with that kinda, because not only are they like the Boss of tubes but they're also horrifically overpriced in some instances... Like their 6L6GE or whatever it's called that's meant to be a vintage reissue and costs a bomb, is actually horrific, and you can pick up the original NOS tube it's meant to copy for barely anymore. You could also go for like a JJ 6L6 for £10 that is superior and way cheap...

So yeah. Equal in stature to boss, but with Gibsonesque overpricing.
Quote by MrCarrot
So yeah. Equal in stature to boss, but with Gibsonesque overpricing.

Ah, I forgot the Gibsonesque overpricing.

That kind of stuff makes me sick. Every time I see this in a sig, I vomit:

RIG: Gibson L Studio -> Boss Metal Zone -> MG100DFX
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Ah, I forgot the Gibsonesque overpricing.

That kind of stuff makes me sick. Every time I see this in a sig, I vomit:

RIG: Gibson L Studio -> Boss Metal Zone -> MG100DFX with Groove Tubes glued on for br00talz
Owned.

I know what you mean
Do some reading on what tubes are manufactured at what facilities. You will figure out why the good tubes are only coming from two or three manufacturers. A lot of companies buy inferior tubes and throw their names on them like Ruby. Go to the tube depot and read the reviews honest and to the point. Buy the best tubes you can afford and dont mix them use a matched set in the power side. Then get some good preamp tubes. The new mullard ones are really wonderful sounding.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by thejester
i dont mind grove tubes in my fender but i use 'Winged C' in my Marshall which is essentially Svetlana's they just have a name issue to getting imported to the US or thats what my amp guy says

The Winged C is the logo for SED, which is short for Svetlana Electron Devices.

I use SED 6L6GC's in my Decatone and they're pretty good. I had Groove Tubes blackplate reissues in there beforehand and they were pretty good too. I guess next time I'll go for some Gold Lion KT66's.

Threadstarter, what are the bias specs you used?
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
yah i know there crap but there the only tubes they got in the damn place GUITAR CENTER
and i really needed some new tubes bad and fast i just didnt know how awful the damn things were until i bought them
My opinion and not just mine but evryone elses here go ebay and buy anything else but groove tubes EHX, JJ, tung-sol
Just dont buy groove tubes
The mullard is pretty nice ill give them that thats all
Yeah, I've had to use Groove Tubes in a pinch, & they are the worst I've ever used. I WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN. I'll use my SS Fender 112+ before I'd use those tubes anywhere. Nuff said.
Edit: RedStrat, you won't even recognize your amp when you get it re-tubed & biased. You'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner!

Edit #2: SpineSurfs, if GT is getting tubes from Sovtek, it's probably from their dumpsters!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by riffhog
Edit #2: SpineSurfs, if GT is getting tubes from Sovtek, it's probably from their dumpsters!

Quite. I've had no problems at all with the Sovteks I've used (reliable and durable, solid tone) but I've had more failures and tone issues with GT branded ones. Isn't that odd.
^ yah i know the Sovteks were good in the power section
The only tube i liked out of the GT company was the mullard altough it was just one
i like to see which tubes are good for what and i test it out using my valvetronix to test each individual tube
the GT Mullard was good all round but the regulars are just ****

is it bad to mix tube in the preamp section?
Groove tubes sells well and for the simple reason of advertising. And having zakk as your spokesman cant be cheap. So they have to jack up the price to compensate. Im going to imagine the profit on GT tubes are alot higher for a shop than tubes with the original names on them. Last tubes I bought were EH and never had any problems from them. And EH tubes were less than half the price of the GTs.
^ i know it dosent make sense why the bettor tube would be cheaper
i guese its the advertising
I wonder for there bettor tubes like the Mullard if they just buy EHX and just rebrand them
Quote by purple tiger
is it bad to mix tube in the preamp section?

Preamp tube mixing is fine. A good blend of 12AX7's with a dash of 5751 can really smooth out your breakup, while keeping most of your gain, for example.
Have jj on the power side of my twin matched late break up low harmonics. New mullards 12ax7 on the preamp side. The amp just smokes nicest twin sound I have had. And have been using twins before they were twins. That should date me.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd