well i'v been playing mostly acoustic guitar for 7 years, fiddled a little bit on my electric but never really touch it. well i'm looking to start a band in a year and went "oh well i should start writing guitar parts". well now i'm stuck cause all i'v been writing is acoustic/emo stuff and i don't know anything electrically(going into a pop punk/post-hardcore band). i feel like i'm missing a huge portion of something and can't write anything close to other bands (i'm rhythm guitar). I just feel idk enough of how writing goes on an electric cause it feels completely different then an acoustic. Anyone can give me tips or anything that would be greatly appreciated.
Equipment
Carlo Robelli SG (Circa 1970's?)
Fender H.O.T. Amp
Yamaha G100-212-III
Ibanez Thrashmetal Pedal
Ibanez Flanger Pedal
Boss Master Switch/PowerSuppy
Boss Equalizer
just listen to alot of pop punkish type bands, learn there songs get use to the genre and then u will know a great amout of riffs you can mix around with
GEAR

customised westfield strat soon to be HH
MIJ 68'reissue strat from 1996

bunch of boss pedals
Pop-punk and post-hardcore uses alot of power chords and octaves. They also throw in some major or minor scale riffs. Its very simple, really. I suggest learning some songs you like on electric, then try to start writing some stuff.
is it really a lot of power chords? i feel like i'm cheapening the song with power chords lol. my band mates always yell at me for having too high of an expectation for the music i write. thier'll all be like "man thats awesome" and i'll be like "nope its crap *throws it away*"
Equipment
Fender H.O.T. Amp
Yamaha G100-212-III
Ibanez Thrashmetal Pedal
Ibanez Flanger Pedal
Boss Equalizer
i find it funny having people come here and tell you to use power chords when almost everyone on this site sits and bitches about power chords all the time.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

I agree completely. Also, I don't even know what the **** post-hardcore is. Could somebody update me there? Maybe I could give you some advice then.
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/PostHardcore

good site for those kinds of bands, basically like thursday or thrice or bands like that. just want to make a little bit harder pop punk band thats unique, this genre is dying quick cause of these cookie cutter bands and needs to be revived. the problem is that the bands i listen to like The Morning Of and Just Surrender lack a lot of tabs so its a bit difficult to play their songs. just i feel like i'm not doing an amazing job when i'm using simple chords.
Equipment
Fender H.O.T. Amp
Yamaha G100-212-III
Ibanez Thrashmetal Pedal
Ibanez Flanger Pedal
Boss Equalizer
Last edited by Truteno-the spi at Mar 5, 2008,
Like almost everyone else in this thread, I will also say power chords. But if you don't want to stick to something so simple, try forming some chords from more exotic scales. But I'm not sure how those will work in a punk/pop song (I mostly play prog metal).