ok, its my birthday soon, and im getting the boss loop station, but because at the moment ive only got an amp with no effect pedals, and no effects loop, ill have to get a metal distortion pedal, because i play a lot of metal.
im pretty sure boss are one of the best out there, but what is the difference between the metal core and the metal zone?
or are there any other metal distortion pedals that you advise?
id say £70 is my maximum.
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
I don't like the Boss Metal Zone, I bought it a while back and ending up selling it not too long after.
mmmk.
the metal zone has a more grating sound

the metal core is a lot fuller, warmer id say

i have the metal core and it is amazing
www.myspace.com/adayoverdue

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Epiphone SG-black lefthand
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger

BOSS BCB60

Amp
Orange Dual Terror head
I tried the Boss Metal Zone and compared it to the Boss Mega Distortion, I could get the sound of the Metal Zone (and more) from the Mega Distorion, it has such a good range, and it's around £50.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Both are rubbish. Buy a Metal Muff for the same price, I think GAK has them at about 55 quid.
^ +1, Metal Muffs rape the Boss "Metal" distortions in many of their orifices
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
i heard positive feedback about the digitech distortion factory. Can consider that too i guess
Quote by disillusia
i heard positive feedback about the digitech distortion factory. Can consider that too i guess

No.
Metal Muff is the basically the same pedal as the Metal Zone in my experience. I would consider an AMT Extreme III. My friend has one, and it is like a Recto in a box, but it is slightly over your budget by a few pounds. For what its worth, the MEtal Zone/Metal Muff tend to have a very high gain, but often fizzy sound, which leads to them being thin. Another issue I find with these is they are extremely noisy. The Metal Core has slightly less gain and is quieter, but I found (based on the old version I had, the Hyper Metal) it had a very scooped sound, but a responsive gain knob.
well, i hate the metal zone. id look into the uber metal pedal by line 6. not a fan of line 6 normally but its a really reliable pedal. ive gigged with it many times with my old death metal band. but do not get the metal zone. you'll end up replacing it in a month.
ok, i think the metal zone is out of the question, but the metal muff is a consideration, what do you mean by scooped? ive heard that a lot but never understood what it means.
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Quote by chippythingy
ok, i think the metal zone is out of the question, but the metal muff is a consideration, what do you mean by scooped? ive heard that a lot but never understood what it means.

It has absolutely no mids.
is that a bad thing? sorry eq and these technical sound words i dont understand!!
basically, is a scooped sound gd for anything from like metallica/megadeth to pantera to trivium?
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
There are much better pedals out there than boss. You live in the UK so it may be tougher to get great homeade awesomeness. IF you could, try to find a Fulltone OCD, either that or maybe a Rocktron Silver Dragon.
its a laney lx35d wich is pretty rubbish but has no effect loops. im saving up for a new amp tho,whcih is why i only have £70 to spend. i need a new amp because i am in a band and plus i play a ibanez S520-ex in grey ;D
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
The Metal Zone has good sounds in it. You have to work for them. If your not a patient person I would suggest the Metal Muff. I would not suggest the Metal Core, the fact it has no mids makes me sad.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
Put it this way - The guitar's entire tonal range is Mid range. So when you turn down the mids, you take all the clarity out of the sound, replacing it with fuzz. It means you can bull**** yourself into thinking your good, especially with the harder techniques such as sweeping, because your notes are lost in the fuzz of the pedal.
That's how alot of people end up becoming VERY messy in their playing. They don't practice their techniques without all the extra crap in front of them, so they never learn the problem's there, so they never correct them, so they never get better

Anyway, metal zone is an alright pedal. I wouldn't gig with it, but it's not bad for practicing. I've actually found using it with a peavey bass amp (basic 112) at school, I can get a few cool sounds of it, because of the low mid and high mid control.

I've just read your profile by the way, If you have a peavey valveking, perhaps you should upgrade that? I've heard good things about replacing the speaker and tubes.

However if you ARE using the laney lx35, I suggest upgrading your amp. Jamming crap pedals into a crap amp is going to sound like crap. The basis of your sound should be your guitar and amp. Then you supplement and tweak it with good effects.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
i dont have a peavey personally, but its what i play the most both at lessons and band practice, but if i was to go gigging and for at home, i only have a laney lx35d
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Save the 70 quid for the amp.

+random number.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Save the 70 quid for the amp.

Thats really the best thing to do. If you absolutely need one and cant wait for a new amp, get the metal muff. Pretty much every high distortion pedal I have tried is lacking, but then again I used to really like my metal muff before I got a good amp.
thanks for the advice guys, the valveking that i use in lessons and band practice sounds good to me, so should i save up for one of my own, or is there a better amp for the same price? especially as i think im stoppin lessons cos ive been playin 14 months or might go somewhere other than school lessons,so wont be usin the valveking soon,unless i buy my own
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
How much are you willing to spend on an amp (will you be gigging, what kind of metal are you playing, etc. we need to know this stuff).
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
The metal muff was to fuzzy imo, the metal zone too digital, and the metal core to modern, i'm still searching for a good pedal to do metal with, i have been looking at the metal monster but i can't try it out
You could always try a tube preamp pedal. Like the damage control demonizer or whatever they are. There's a few others on the market like it, and I assume it's like having condensed a tube pre amp into a small pedal with a couple of 12ax7's running off it.

Good thing about that is that it'd work well with a tube amp, if you decide to upgrade.

But as others have suggested, a new amp is probably the way to go.
Since you're in the UK, people are likely to suggest that you try orange amplifiers. Never played one myself, so I'm not sure what they're capable of, but they're made in the UK so they're likely to be cheaper than Peavey and MESA and the like, which are very popular brands when it comes to Metal of all types.

Anyway, good luck, and happy hunting.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
£70 will get you a Microcube if you just need a practice amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by webbtje
Both are rubbish. Buy a Metal Muff for the same price, I think GAK has them at about 55 quid.

+1 It truly is an awesome pedal

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
hey thanks guys for all ur help, ill think ill just forget about a pedal and get a decent amp instead to save me some money.
ill have a look around for a few days, thanks again
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey