I'm pretty much set on the Fender 60's classic J bass. Before my last thread turned into "the company that makes my amp is better than yours" I got the picture that the Ampeg B series aren't as good as their made out to be.....and that if I was after the Ampeg stack sound short of buying one I'm not getting it, so I went back to the drawing board and started to look into Gallen-Krugger amps. the backline series combos to be specific

I've read some reviews on Musicians friend and on here. most people say that their great amps although if I remember rightly some people have said that the 110 have reliability issues. I'm not after an amp that will shake a stadium to its foundations, but I am after something that's got a good sound for just about every sub genre of rock, alt metal and stuff with a funky vibe that I won't want to trade in after 3 months. Oh and if its powerful enough to be able to have a jam without having to turn everything up to 10 that's a bonus.

So keeping that in mind GK Backline yes, no or maybe?
GK don't get a great reputation round here either. I tried one, and I don't remember being to impressed. However, their higher end gear is supposed to be very good.

The difficulty now, is you have named two entirely different makes. Ampeg gives you the sound of an Ampeg, no excaping it. GK try to make the amp transparent, so you can shape the sound how you want.

Try some out for yourself. Then come back here with a list of the ones you likes most for critique. Then try the remaining ones again and again until you get the one you want.

Also, never trust the reviews on sites that are selling. They are there to make sales, not give honest reviews. If a brand new product with alot of hype gets bad reviews on the site, they'll just remove them so as not to put people off. Plus, most people reviewing on it are stil in the phase of 'shiny new toy'. They can't see the flaws yet.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i tried the 210 and the 110 some months ago
and they have a very growly and fat tone
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
The Backline heads are OK, the cabs IMO are poor.

And pretty much anything besides the 210 combo will be too small for a small-medium show. At that price, you can get better amps. Whats your price range?
Quote by gm jack
Also, never trust the reviews on sites that are selling. They are there to make sales, not give honest reviews. If a brand new product with alot of hype gets bad reviews on the site, they'll just remove them so as not to put people off. Plus, most people reviewing on it are stil in the phase of 'shiny new toy'. They can't see the flaws yet.

Musician's Friend reviews are done by the customers, not the salesmen.

Anywho, the Backline 210 is the only one that will get loud enough even for small shows. Here are some more combos in that price range. Stay away from Behringer. I would personally go for the Nemesis 210 or the Ashdown MAG 210.
Last time I went to my local guitar center, they had the GK backline 110, 112, and 210. The 110 didnt even work, the 112 sounded like it was breaking up (very similar to a behringer), and the 210 was better, but for $400 or whatever it was you can get something much better.
live to jam and jam to live
I don't really have a price range as such, its more of a case that I'm willing to spend as much as I need to (with in reason) to get a decent rig. I've not got a ton of room I had an AWESOME 212 guitar amp a few years ago, but it had to go because it was to big. 115 is about my maximum size for a bass amp.

I'm expecting people to come down on me like a ton of bricks for throwing another manufacture into the mix, but I was told to look into Ashdown's a few months back and was seriously considering getting an Ashdown ABM C115 500 EVO II. The main reason why I started to look into the Ampeg B series is because most of the bass players that I look up to use them.

I just had a look at the Ashdown artist list and there's a hell of a lot more people that use the ABM heads than I 1st thought + the 115 combo is 500 watts so that's got to be more than enough to hold its own in a live situation right? so I'm wondering if I should just go for it.
Well....I love Ashdown like I love cold beer, beautiful women and a great live band but I think their 10" speakers sound a hell of a lot better than their 15". I would definitely take the 210 combo over the 115 ABM.
I have a 112 Backline combo....as a practice amp. I can't even image using their combos as gigging amps. I got an amazing deal on mine, but I wouldn't be my first choice in that wattage or for combos.