Okay, I know the title didn't give it away. But here we go. The first picture will.

So UPS stops by, picks up my Rockband drumset for shipment back to EA. Then he drops of a box.

Oooh! A Blackheart!
Let's open it up.

Uh oh, plastic! GODDAMNIT I WANT THE AMP!

Open you ****!

Ohhh... so pretty....

At this point I couldn't handle holding the camera and not playing, so I plugged it in, flipped it on and waited a couple of minutes.
I went and got my guitars, got something to drink... came back...

Plugged in the Explorer first. Passive Epi humbuckers. Sounds bloody fantastic. The EQ is not the greatest, but scoop the mids and dime the volume and there you go. Not a ton of gain but sounds absolutely amazing.

Plugged in the Les Paul. EMG 81-85 set running 18v. You can definitely tell a difference in the amount of breakup in the sound. A little rougher tone, this one. Still, absolutely amazing. Roll back the dial on the EMGs and you get a more natural tone.

I didn't bother trying to find a clean setting on the amp. Too busy enjoying all-tube overdrive.

So now all it I need is a drive pedal infront of it. Nothing amazing, but considering getting a Boss SD1 Super Overdrive...
Thoughts on what sort of drive pedal to put infront of it?
I just want something that'll give me a more modern level of gain, rather than a vintage crunch. That, and let the tubes break up at a slightly lower volume. 5w is loud.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Yup, 5 watts tube running into a 12" speaker is pretty loud thats why I laugh when people get 100 watt solid state halfstacks. You could look at getting a power attenuator, so you can get tube breakup but at lower volumes and not have a pedal color your tone if you like the tone and OD the amp already has but yea a pedal is easier.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Maybe try a tubescreamer? I have one and really like how it sounds on my Blues Deluxe.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Well the thing I'm concerned with is that I want more gain, but the volume is fine for all but night time jamming by myself.
I have a modelling pedal, and I'm gonna try it with that first and see where I end up going.
Probably to the music store to get a good OD pedal.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by DSOTM80
Yup, 5 watts tube running into a 12" speaker is pretty loud thats why I laugh when people get 100 watt solid state halfstacks. You could look at getting a power attenuator, so you can get tube breakup but at lower volumes and not have a pedal color your tone if you like the tone and OD the amp already has but yea a pedal is easier.

I know The Tube Store has one you can build, since 5 watts doesn't need something crazy like a Dr Z or Weber. Don't know how well it works though.