I just got an ashdown cab and head however the only lead that was in the boxes was the power cable, now I'm assuming I need something to link the head to the cab to power it and a speaker cable. Should these have been included or am I expected to get them seperatly? If so where would be a good place to get them?
The cab will be passive, so won't need a power cable (don't plug one into the jack and then one into the speakon!), you need a speaker cable. all good instrument stores should sell them.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Technically yes. think of it like headphones
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Depends on the length, whether you get one with 1/4" jacks or Spekon Neutrik connectors and quality.

If you get a 1/4" jack cable make sure its phono!!! (aka speaker cable)

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Simply, don't go cheap on them. Get just slightly longer than you need, and get a good hugh quality one. No point sucking tone at the last possible part of your rig where lower quality components can wreck anotherwise great rig.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'm not sure about that setup, but the point is, always spring for Speakon cables if you have the opportunity.

Also, make sure you get SPEAKER cable and not INSTRUMENT cable which is shielded, and could literally blow up your cabinet and damage your head. Speaker cable tends to be much, much thicker all around.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
*cough cough*

These guys are right though - make sure you get a speaker cable rather than an instrument cable and get it longer than you expect to need.
Quote by thefitz
I'm not sure about that setup, but the point is, always spring for Speakon cables if you have the opportunity.

What makes Speakon cables better?
Quote by Scourge441
What makes Speakon cables better?

they simply do not disconnect when plugged in. You have 100% connectivity at all times. Some super-high-powered amps like the SVT8PRO ONLY have Speakon connectors for that very reason.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Not only that, but they handle more current at once. Supposedly, they can improve sound quality at higher volume levels. I run my SVT through one to the 8x10, and I couldn't be happier. It's essentially the cheapest part of your rig, but you should by no means go cheap on one; get something good.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Are Speakon cables generally Speakon/Speakon (on both ends)? I have a weird shaped hole in my SVT3-Pro which I believe is for a Speakon cable, but my cab only has 1/4" jacks.

So I guess my question is, does this mean I can't use Speakon cables w/ my setup?

Also, I remember when a local guitar store told me that using an instrument cable for connecting a head to a cab is fine. I was like "Are you SUUUUUURE?!" and they're like "Oh yeah. No worries. Instrument cables are shielded so they're actually better in protecting your tone."

I was really sketched out by them (only went to them cuz they're like 5 blocks away) so I went to the store I usually go to. I told them that some other store had said speaker cables are no diff from instrument cables and they were like "WTF?!"

Why exactly is an instrument cable dangerous?
Quote by Charlatan_001
Are Speakon cables generally Speakon/Speakon (on both ends)? I have a weird shaped hole in my SVT3-Pro which I believe is for a Speakon cable, but my cab only has 1/4" jacks.

So I guess my question is, does this mean I can't use Speakon cables w/ my setup?

Also, I remember when a local guitar store told me that using an instrument cable for connecting a head to a cab is fine. I was like "Are you SUUUUUURE?!" and they're like "Oh yeah. No worries. Instrument cables are shielded so they're actually better in protecting your tone."

I was really sketched out by them (only went to them cuz they're like 5 blocks away) so I went to the store I usually go to. I told them that some other store had said speaker cables are no diff from instrument cables and they were like "WTF?!"

Why exactly is an instrument cable dangerous?

It's to do with the fact that instrument cables are sheilded, and only need to carry a miniscule current to your amp. whereas speaker cables need to carry much more power, if that power goes through the sheilding of the cable. It can overheat and cause damage. Or at least, so I hear.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2